Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 04:11 AM   #29116
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Sharpe's Revenge by Bernard Cornwell.
Which was a quick and enjoyable read.

Then I read a recent purchase, Murder by Matchlight by E. C. R. Lorac, first published in 1945. The murder mystery is OK, although with far too many wild coincidences, but the contemporary portrayal of WWII London is fascinating.

And now I'm reading another recent purchase of a childhood favourite, Stig of the Dump by Clive King. It's been decades since I last read this, but I can still remember the plot and many incidents in it. It will be fascinating to read it again.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #29117
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'm of Asian (Indian) stock, and I've always admired white people who frown upon racism. All credit to you, pdurrant and uncle Robin.
You can add me to the vehemently anti-racist list.

I do forgive some books for being a thing of their time, but we really should have evolved past that sort of thing by now.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #29118
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
It's not even September yet!
The down side of August is good enough for me.

At least for picking Horror books for reading September-October.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #29119
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now I'm reading another recent purchase of a childhood favourite, Stig of the Dump by Clive King. It's been decades since I last read this, but I can still remember the plot and many incidents in it. It will be fascinating to read it again.
Fascinating. It seems I essentially could remember the entire book. And it stood up to a re-read as an adult, although aimed at children. I especially liked how
Spoiler:
the hero, being eight years old, was persuaded by people he knew were thieves into believing they were TV repairmen. At least for a bit.

Next up: Something completely different. The Stars at War by Jerry Pournelle. I bought this back in October 2008!
Old 08-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #29120
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is Lilith: A Snake in the Grass (The Four Lords of the Diamond #1) by Jack L. Chalker. My first with this author.
Enjoyable. I thought the world and its uniqueness was original and nicely written. It wasn't too complex and wordy. The underage sex left me uncomfortable, though. The other books in this series have been added to my wishlist. Rated B [4 stars].

Next, a library book, Spy School by Stuart Gibbs.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 02:25 AM   #29121
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Reading time has been pretty sparse lately. My most recently completed books were:

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. This turned out to be one of those books you immediately want to talk to someone about, it packs a lot in. The science-fiction part is almost just a plot device, it is really a contemporary story of social media and fame and human frailties. Loved it! The ending is a cliff-hanger as far as the sci-fi part goes, but what I considered to be the main story felt complete to me, and very well done. A strong 4/5.

A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor by Hank Green. The sequel to the above story, this is effectively the science fiction half of that tale. The sci-fi was good but not exceptional. The social media aspect I enjoyed from the first book was mostly a repeat here, but more overtly preachy and too long. The first book had been told from a single first-person perspective, this book uses a cycle of five first-person perspectives but I didn't find the character distinctions to be as strong as they needed to be. Don't get me wrong, it was a satisfying read, I just expected better after the excellent first. I could only give this 3/5.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:07 AM   #29122
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side completing a set of three Marple mysteries all read for the same side character, an interesting exercise.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #29123
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side completing a set of three Marple mysteries all read for the same side character, an interesting exercise.
I read that. Decent book.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #29124
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just started Not the Faintest Trace by Wendy Wilson, book 1 of a crime/mystery series set during the NZ Land Wars. Something new for me in the way of period and place.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #29125
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve started Eat the Buddha: Life and Death in a Tibetan Town by Barbara Demick, who wrote a wonderful book about another closed Asian nation, North Korea. I’m hoping this is as evocative and informative, with full props to the author for getting where she wasn’t supposed to go.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:15 AM   #29126
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
A few days ago I finished The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson, which was very good. I thought I knew about Jim Crow south, but this book opened my eyes.

I read James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time on Sunday. I started The Mirror & the Light by Hilary Mantel on Monday. I expect this to be a good read. I'm 25 pages in.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:16 AM   #29127
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Something completely different. The Stars at War by Jerry Pournelle. I bought this back in October 2008!
A disappointing mix of short stories and political essays. OK if you want Jerry Pournelle's views on 1980s world politics and how education is going wrong, but otherwise a bit of a bust. 2/5

So I've discarded the other two volumes in the series.

Next up, another random pick: Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich. A freebie I picked up from Fictionwise in Febriary 2010. I enjoyed the first one earlier this year. Let's see how it continues.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:24 AM   #29128
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

After getting to halfway in Not the Faintest Trace, book 1 of a series set in late C19 NZ, I have taken a break and moved to another alien time and place with A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. Two chapters down and definitely an intriguing and involving book. It's very apt that the author has a degree in Byzantine history, because the book so far is Byzantine for sure.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #29129
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
After getting to halfway in Not the Faintest Trace, book 1 of a series set in late C19 NZ, I have taken a break and moved to another alien time and place with A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. Two chapters down and definitely an intriguing and involving book. It's very apt that the author has a degree in Byzantine history, because the book so far is Byzantine for sure.
I enjoyed A Memory Called Empire immensely last year. Good space romp and good, albeit not great, political intrigue.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #29130
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Currently reading:

1) Madeleine Is Sleeping: A Novel - by Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum.

An important literary novel, one that was a National Book Award Finalist, a New York Public library Young lions Fiction Award Finalist, a Washington Post Book Worldliest Book of the Year, and a Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year. I love the way she writes, and they the way she has composed this book.

2) Slowly We Rot - by Bryan Smith

A zombie classic, one sure to make you throw up your cornflakes and cookies in a big heap upon one's ratty breakfast table. I've only just started it, but it's sure to be a riot of blood and guts spilling across my ebook reader.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote