Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #29041
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished With Child, the third Kate Martinelli book from Laurie R. King. At best, three stars. Once again we have Inspector Martinelli in extreme peril, and seriously hurt. Plus it's more than clear that neither she, nor the SFPD, are taking severe concussion at all appropriately.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #29042
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished up John Scalzi's Interdependency Trilogy. It was pretty good.

Not sure where to head next. Was thinking about either Edding's Belgariad or finally starting The Witcher books.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2020, 02:35 AM   #29043
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up from calibre's Pick a random book menu item: The Vatican Rip by Jonathan Gash

I bought this one way back in 2014. This is the fifth in his Lovejoy series.
And it's a usual Lovejoy story - antiques and casual violence. 4/5

Next up: Service of All the Dead by Colin Dexter - fourth in his Inspector Morse series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #29044
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My one star review of N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14), by Sue Grafton:-

Spoiler:
I dislike it when a main character plays dumb. I loathe it when the main character acts dumb when she was so much smarter in previous books.

From the earliest chapters I figured out that the red herring was just that, or was the criminal. If the next book is all about Kinsey Millhone going about her day not eating anything suspect and keeping her goddamned gun with her, I'll die happy.

Therefore, 1 star it is. You know what's funny? Not realizing even after the end that the reason for Kinsey's case died a natural death. Respectfully submitted, gokillyourselfatnotalake.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #29045
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Service of All the Dead by Colin Dexter - fourth in his Inspector Morse series.
And a good mystery, although a ridiculously high body count.

Next up: something I bought today, The Quantum Garden by Derek Künsken. A sequel to his excellent The Quantum Magician.
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 06:30 PM   #29046
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finally finished Beartown by Fredrick Bachman. It was good. It just takes me forever to read anything anymore. Now started Chaos Reigning by Jesse Mihalik.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:34 AM   #29047
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
It just takes me forever to read anything anymore.
I feel that! I just finished the first novel (in a two-in-one volume) of a trilogy, took a breather by zipping through the current Ghost-Spider graphic novel, and am about 20% of the way through Tom Holt’s Only Human, which I’m rereading as a refresher before moving on to The Management Style of the Supreme Beings.

I’ll get back to the trilogy, but it’s a little too heavy and alien for me at the moment. Depending on how I feel, though, I may go back to a new-Holmes novel, The Stalwart Companions, first.

And then there’s the just-loaded fifteen-book saga of Anne Rice’s vampires, only some of which will be rereads…
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #29048
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Quote:
Next up: The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson.
OK, but just a light YA historical Romance. I'm not surprised I hadn't heard of it before. 3/5
Confession time - I knew it only as a TV series that I enjoyed as a kid, had no idea it was based on a book by RLS

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-02-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #29049
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: something I bought today, The Quantum Garden by Derek Künsken. A sequel to his excellent The Quantum Magician.
And most enjoyable it was too. Wormholes and time travel.

Next up, another random choice: Galaxy's Edge Magazine #2. I got this in a bundle in February 2019.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #29050
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just finished The Hooligans by P.T. Deutermann. It is the seventh in his WWII series. Each book can be read in any order. They have different characters and situations. The Hooligans is set with the PT Boats and was an excellent read. Highly recomended.
I am now starting The Baron of Magister Valley by Steven Brust. This is the sixth in his Khaavren Romances Series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:35 AM   #29051
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I finished A Manifest Spirit: The 359th Fighter Group 1943-1945 put together by Janet Fogg, Charlotte Baldridge and Richard Fogg. Felt very good about this book. I think I'm feeling more deeply about things I read and listen to (music) in this strange era we are in. This took me into a long-ago period that my father was in. This was his fighter group that was based at East Wretham near Thetford, England. My father was on one page with a photo. The incident described was on December 23, 1944. He flew a P-51 Mustang with the name Beachcomber (Our hometown is a beach place in NJ).

I am listening to Mary Trump's Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man. Audio books are not my favorite means of reading, but I have an account this year and had 5 credits. I can buy 4 more and quit. I'm about halfway through. The author is the reader.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #29052
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I began a re-re-re-re-read of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas - and it is proving delightful. In the past, the glut of scientific detail has proven insurmountable, but this time around I'm enjoying it all.

Perhaps a sign of the times - the ultimate escape from life on land
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:39 AM   #29053
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, a library book, Hella by David Gerrold. It's been a long time since I read a book with dinosaurs ().
Finished Hella by David Gerrold today. I enjoyed the world the author created but felt a little bogged down in the details. At times it seems the author was lecturing me on a variety of subjects. I was also slightly uncomfortable with some of the actions of the main characters given their ages. Still the writing was good and very readable. The many interesting ideas and unexpected surprises kept me reading late into the night. Rated C+ [3 stars].

Next The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi purchased January 2019.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:47 AM   #29054
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up, another random choice: Galaxy's Edge Magazine #2. I got this in a bundle in February 2019.
Which was good. Some nice original content, and I hadn't read many of the reprints.

Next up: Lightspeed Magazine #10. I got this in March 2014.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #29055
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My 2 star review of A Cajun Christmas Killing (Cajun Country Mystery #3) by Ellen Byron:-

Spoiler:
I don't know why I keep getting back to this author's work. I think the main reason is that she can write up a goodhearted main character with authenticity. But that is not enough.

Or should I say, enough is enough. I'm going to move on and not look back this time. There were so many people to keep track of. When it came time to unveiling the murderer, I found myself confronting a stranger.

Books like this don't deserve a price tag online. But the writer obviously has found her crowd. Try as I might, I cannot conjure what her readers see in her books. I've been duped for the last time. It's time to say goodbye.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote