Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #28786
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My review of Death of a Gigolo:-

Spoiler:
This series has now incurred diminishing returns for its faithful readers, but one can still see the traces of greatness that the initial entries had.

The title is slightly misleading. Just read for yourself. The heroine is Jaine Austen. I'm a bit glad that there is no cat to distract her, nor is her neighbor and friend Lance, a foreground fixture.

Having read most of the books pertinent to this one, I guessed the culprit's identity. There's no need to pat myself on the back. I'll keep reading this series as long as the books are 3 starred.

Last edited by Luffy; 03-19-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #28787
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Onto The Patriarch, in my quest to catch up with Martin Walker's Bruno series before the next one is released.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #28788
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm reading the nonfiction The Golden Age of Murder on my Kobo.

I am still listening to The Lord of the Rings.

Yesterday I joined Yinyun Li's virtiaul book club for a re-read of Pevear and Volokohnsky's War and Peace. If anyone is intrested, you can join the fun here: https://apublicspace.org/news/detail/tolstoy-together
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #28789
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: A Decline in Prophets by Sulari Gentill.
An enjoyable murder mystery set in 1930s New York and Australia. Although the villain wasn't too hard to spot, the ride was fun.

Next up: Hmmm...
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #28790
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Anyone else losing reading time because of having to forage for groceries?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #28791
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Well, I am still working 40+ hours a week, just from home plus a court day. But I was able to get a week's worth of groceries in under half an hour yesterday. Seemingly, my community hasn't gone nutso even though we live in the highest concentration of the infections in our state.

Having said that, I am LOVING my re-read of War and Peace for the #TolstoyTogether project that Yinyun Li is running.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #28792
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
My reading time was cut to basically zero but not because of that. I don't care to take the mass transit any longer so I'm driving to work and riding the train was the only time I had to read. I'm listening to audiobooks now but, with traffic as reduced as it is, that means much less time than normal and audiobooks are slower to read than regular books to start with.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #28793
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My review of Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene:-

Spoiler:
Full marks to Darkness on the edge of Town. I can see how people might not rate this book highly. But I'm thankful I had a go at it.

The inconsistencies may arise from the characters's behaviours themselves. The explanation for the supernatural may have offended the religious.

But this first read of a book by Brian Keene seduced both my primal and my superficial sides. I had a great time reading it. The book's still very vivid in my mind. It's sad to think it might be forgotten in time. But not by me.

Last edited by Luffy; 04-04-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #28794
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ANext up: Hmmm...
I went for the latest in John Ringo's Zombie apocalypse series, River of Night. It was a quick read, but I think I'm tiring of them.

Next up: Dancing with Myself by Charles Sheffield - a collection of his short works.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #28795
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just finished a reread of Sundiver by David Brin. It is the first in his Uplift Series. An excellent book especially when you consider that it was the first book he wrote. I plan to read the others also and maybe his The Practice Effect first. The Practice Effect has been one of my favorites by Brin.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #28796
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I'm reading The Patriarch: The Remarkable Life and Turbulent Times of Joseph P. Kennedy and just got to the page on his creation, in 1918, of a dedicated pandemic infirmary since "isolating the sick might stop the spread of further contagion."

Hint, hint, to any public health professional, or hospital system administrator, or ambulance network manager, who might be reading, and has responsibility for preventing cross-contagion.

No, I didn't think there were any.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #28797
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I just finished a reread of Sundiver by David Brin. It is the first in his Uplift Series. An excellent book especially when you consider that it was the first book he wrote. I plan to read the others also and maybe his The Practice Effect first. The Practice Effect has been one of my favorites by Brin.
Apache
Ah, it's been a very long time since I read anything by David Brin. Thanks for the reminder. I just downloaded Sundiver from the library.

However, any David Brin reading will have to wait until I finish The Wizard's Butler, the new book from Nathan Lowell. This is a very different book from his usual, in that it's an "urban fantasy". But having read the beta version of it, I was very impressed and I can't wait to see what's changed since that version.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #28798
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, it's been a very long time since I read anything by David Brin. Thanks for the reminder. I just downloaded Sundiver from the library.

However, any David Brin reading will have to wait until I finish The Wizard's Butler, the new book from Nathan Lowell. This is a very different book from his usual, in that it's an "urban fantasy". But having read the beta version of it, I was very impressed and I can't wait to see what's changed since that version.
Damn, now I want to read The Wizard's Butler.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #28799
Luffy
Wizard

My review of Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich:-

Spoiler:
You know your book is not going to win the Booker prize, if it has multiple fart jokes in it. The rest of the jokes were simply feeble and dull twists in a relatively tepid affair.

Altogether I've read three books in this series, the first (2 stars), the 26th, (5 stars), and this one. My only plus from book 15 is that there is no sex scene to pad out the book.

But I couldn't overlook the repetitiveness of this thing. I don't inherently think it as a bad book, it's just that the formula wasn't for me. It's for women. Incidentally, whenever I'll read this series again, I'll always picture Bill Hicks circa 1992 as Ranger.

Last edited by Luffy; 04-03-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #28800
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
it's just that the formula wasn't for me. It's for women.
Please don’t. That kind of comment is always unfortunate and worse when it’s part of a disparaging review.

“It’s for people who like that sort of thing.”
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote