Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 12:42 AM   #28726
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up I read The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer. Which I bought way back in August 2012. A most enjoyable romantic drama.
One of my favourites of hers. Acquired back in Sep of 2011 when they first had a huge sale on Heyer romances. I also recently finished a Heyer -- These Old Shades, the first of the Devil's cub sequence.

Currently treading water, waiting for the release of False Values, the new Ben Aaronivitch. So I'm doing some re-reading, and just finished up reading Anne of Green Gables -- the New Leaf Book Club selection that we'll start discussing tomorrow.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #28727
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Still slogging on The Black Prism. Has anyone else read this book? What did you think?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #28728
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Still slogging on The Black Prism. Has anyone else read this book? What did you think?
I read the whole Lightbringer series and really enjoyed it.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #28729
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Since my last post:

And then there were Crumbs by Eve Calder. Most of this seemed to be about cooking and eating and meeting the very pleasant people of Coral Cay, Florida. The characters were actually quite well drawn, even if it is not quite credible that they should all get along so well, but the conversations are reported in such detail as to get quite tedious. The book did eventually get around to investigating a murder mystery, when it could fit it in between meals, but it didn't amount to much. I prefer more sparks and intrigue in my murder mysteries. 2.5/5 (I gave it the extra 0.5 is because the idea is kinda cute, it just needed more mystery and less food).

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - that we're discussing now over in the New Leaf Book Club.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #28730
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Started The Library Book by Susan Orlean, and liking it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #28731
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Since my last post:

And then there were Crumbs by Eve Calder. Most of this seemed to be about cooking and eating and meeting the very pleasant people of Coral Cay, Florida. The characters were actually quite well drawn, even if it is not quite credible that they should all get along so well, but the conversations are reported in such detail as to get quite tedious. The book did eventually get around to investigating a murder mystery, when it could fit it in between meals, but it didn't amount to much. I prefer more sparks and intrigue in my murder mysteries. 2.5/5 (I gave it the extra 0.5 is because the idea is kinda cute, it just needed more mystery and less food).

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - that we're discussing now over in the New Leaf Book Club.
I'm sorry that you don't seem to like cozies. I gave it 4 stars.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #28732
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Polaris Rising ny Jesse Mihalik. I really enjoyed it! Good blend of sci-fi and romance!

Next up I’m going to read Star Trek: Picard - The Last Best Hope by Una McCormack!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:07 AM   #28733
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'm sorry that you don't seem to like cozies. I gave it 4 stars.
Normally I do, but this seemed rather too cozy. Even cozies normally allow for a bit of spitefulness and backstabbing amongst the cast - if only to plant as many false trails as possible. This little community was more like the Twilight Zone episode where you have the kid that's making every behave ... except she forgot to include the kid.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #28734
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I read the whole Lightbringer series and really enjoyed it.
That's encouraging. I'll keep going.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #28735
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
That's encouraging. I'll keep going.
Fantasy books can start out slow sometimes. It seems like a popular one.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #28736
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Oh dear, two "did not finish" in a row, although for different reasons as these were two very different books...

Tears of the Cheetah by T.M. Clark. I should have read the preview first, but ... I didn't. The purple prose as two virtual strangers struggle with their feelings for each other was too much.

The Light Ages by Ian R. MacLeod. The imagery is superb, and this alternative England is very impressively imagined, but I found it rather overwrought and aimless. I imagine there will be a point to all this background eventually, but I didn't care enough about anyone to want to find out, so after 146 pages (33%) I decided not to finish. I loved "Song of Time", and was at least intrigued by "The Great Wheel", but this just isn't working for me. Maybe I'll try again sometime when I'm in a different mood.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #28737
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Normally I do, but this seemed rather too cozy. Even cozies normally allow for a bit of spitefulness and backstabbing amongst the cast - if only to plant as many false trails as possible. This little community was more like the Twilight Zone episode where you have the kid that's making every behave ... except she forgot to include the kid.
Unfortunately I almost didn't catch that reference because I'm a foreigner. I am aware of this episode through The Simpsons early Treehouse of Horror episodes.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #28738
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Unfortunately I almost didn't catch that reference because I'm a foreigner. I am aware of this episode through The Simpsons early Treehouse of Horror episodes.
Ah yes, that's the one. It's good that Bart did that!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #28739
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Ah yes, that's the one. It's good that Bart did that!
Thank you for remembering.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #28740
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2019 edition.
Which was very good indeed.

Then I started a recent freebie, Unto The Last Generation by Juanita Coulson It had a nice premise. but it was terrible in setup, plot and characterisation. I quickly abandoned it.

Then I started another freebie, A Few Right Thinking Men by Sulari Gentill. It was an excellent historical murder mystery, set in early 1930s New South Wales. Highly recommended!

And now I'm reading Asimov's SF magazine for March/April 2020.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote