Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #271
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
any one tried running a Zaurus app on it?
*cough* abookreader would be good... :-)

Might require you to understand japanese to do so...

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-18-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #272
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I hesitate to ask this, but it's a question that I've had for a couple of years now: will a magnet cause the e-ink to switch states (black to white or reverse)?

Logically, it ought to work, as a magnetic field is an electrical field too. One end ought to "write" and the other "erase." If it does, then the next logical question is can the backplane be adjusted to read the marks and capture them -- without the use of a touch screen. 'Course, we won't be able to answer that one here.

I've never seen any suggestion that e-ink is damagable by magnetic fields, and I hope they would tell us if it were, so it ought to be safe enough ... but I'd use a weak magnet.

If anyone is brave enough to try it, please let me know what happens.
A weak magnet do not reverse the eink. I have tested in all the magnets I had at home.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #273
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
wow very daring of you arivero
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #274
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Only Zaurus GPE-like applications could work, the other ones use Qtopia.

Also there is the question of library compatibility. For instance the Nokia 770 2006 release is kernel 2.6.12 under gcc 3.4.2(this is only important for modules), libncurses 5.4 and libc 2.3.6. Usually the most critical thing is the libc.

My illiad is still paid not shipped so I can not test the portability across different arm architectures.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #275
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Not succesful, but I am no expert here. Tried to unpack an ipk...:

Code:
Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 100: Operation not permitted
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #276
arivero
Guru

Quote:
wow very daring of you arivero
deadite, note my avatar left here. I was not risking any screen. In fact I wished to have a method to write in this piece of broken eink.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #277
R2D2
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Only Zaurus GPE-like applications could work, the other ones use Qtopia.
I think the apps from pdaxrom.org should work.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #278
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
I just created a frameset you can use for Browsing. Here it is...
Good IDea! This and some nice javascript for page down/up would do the trick.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #279
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
which reason does iRex Technologies have to lock down the Iliad? Prevent us from creating cool new applications or using the Iliad for things he isn't supposed to be used for (yet)?

It's not like we want to break the DRM or something like this.
Yes, they can keep the DRM at the level of propietary software, no problem here.

I agree that iRex team seems more enthusiast about linux that, er, Sony. It took one year to crack into the librie (japanese hackers, there are not) and there was no clue of a decent X server inside nor any communication tool (the hacker entering there did a tunnel across USB, no ppp avalaible neither).

In fact while I expect we iReX will not raise issues about programming the machine, the trick we are using to activate the network can cause some headaches to Sony... as far as I know, acrobat reader also complies the \Launch specification of pdf. So perhaps we are causing a shipping delay... for the Sony Reader.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #280
R2D2
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Good IDea! This and some nice javascript for page down/up would do the trick.
Up? Down? There are pagebreaks, what do you mean?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #281
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
you can't imagine how sorry i am for sony. =)

but that's interesting. the new sony reader is also running linux?

another question:

is it possible to enter something in html forms with the onscreen keyboard?
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #282
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
A weak magnet do not reverse the eink. I have tested in all the magnets I had at home.
Oh, well, it seemed like a good idea! Thanks for trying it out, now I can stop wondering about it.

So ... where did you get that broken piece of e-ink, anyway? Or perhaps I don't want to know.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #283
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
this broken piece of e-ink is the reason why he's buying the Iliad, i think.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #284
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
this broken piece of e-ink is the reason why he's buying the Iliad, i think.
If that's so, then I probably don't want to know.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #285
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Up? Down? There are pagebreaks, what do you mean?
I mean, people has been asking for better pagination in the HTML browser. Dont ask me why, just I read it in some post before and I do not get what the problem is, but I guess that it can be controlled via javascript with some extra buttons as the ones you have added.