Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #256
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
p.s. you can see from my script that I commented out
Code:
#use strict;
I did so because I was getting compile erros due to my setup/code not being 100% accurate. Do you know what breaks when I use:
Code:
#use strict;
I have left Windows so I cannot check. If you give me the error message I probably know what it is.

Could you for next version add POD documentation also to the file? You can read it by "perldoc mobi2imp.pl". You should also check that the binary for version 2 works so we know that the process is working.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #257
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have left Windows so I cannot check. If you give me the error message I probably know what it is.

Could you for next version add POD documentation also to the file? You can read it by "perldoc mobi2imp.pl". You should also check that the binary for version 2 works so we know that the process is working.
Strange, but it works now with 'use strict;' Must be the recent p5-Palm library I updated or some other lib.

I will try to copy your example for POD as I do not have a linux setup and am blind here.

-Nick
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #258
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I will try to copy your example for POD as I do not have a linux setup and am blind here.
I think the pod commands work in Windows also. If perldoc does not work look for pod2* (e.g. pod2txt mobi2html).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #259
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Getting mobi2imp from version 0.0.31 to compile under Windows is not really a problem (see attached Makefile(.txt) and .zip), but when I try to run the resulting .exe on a .prc, I get an OLE warning, probably because I don't have eBook Publisher installed.
That's exactly right! In the code I did not explicitly check that it was installed, just die if it isn't (with that obscure OLE/interface message).

Installing the free eBook Publisher software from http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm will get rid of that error.

-Nick
Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #260
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, it was easy. Just tested it and put the Windows binaries on the web page.
I just tried your Windows mobi2imp.exe binaries and it works flawlessly.

Now to update mobi2imp (version 2 to version 3) BEFORE the next release...

-Nick
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 AM   #261
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
That's exactly right! In the code I did not explicitly check that it was installed, just die if it isn't (with that obscure OLE/interface message).
Not a problem. I figured it out when I looked at the code after posting this here.

Making the error message a bit less obscure might not be a bad idea, though, because it's not immediately obvious that mobi2imp needs eBook Publisher in order to function.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #262
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, BeBook Neo
problem running the win32 binaries on Core2 Duo T7300

Am i the only one who's having problems running the (latest) mobiperl .exe's on Core2 Duo T7300 CPU (using Vista) ?

they always crash....
pvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #263
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdv View Post
Am i the only one who's having problems running the (latest) mobiperl .exe's on Core2 Duo T7300 CPU (using Vista) ?

they always crash....
They run here, but I'm on XP Pro, not Vista. Do the older versions work on your system?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #264
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

none of the older versions work on my Vista system. I also have an XP machine, and they indeed do work on those, but i have to evacuate my entire top floor to be able to reach it...., so i work mostly on my Vista system...

Is there anyone who is able or willing to compile a Vista/core2duo compatible version? (if that is indeed the problem)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #265
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdv View Post
none of the older versions work on my Vista system. I also have an XP machine, and they indeed do work on those, but i have to evacuate my entire top floor to be able to reach it...., so i work mostly on my Vista system...

Is there anyone who is able or willing to compile a Vista/core2duo compatible version? (if that is indeed the problem)
I think the problem is Vista. Install the programs as Administrator, and make sure they are set to Run As Administrator. they are probably doing something Vista considers low level access and blocking.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #266
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just tried your Windows mobi2imp.exe binaries and it works flawlessly.

Now to update mobi2imp (version 2 to version 3) BEFORE the next release...

-Nick
If I make a Mobi format eBook based on HarryT's directions, will mobi2imp make a better eBook then Book Designer (now that I have the updated DLL)?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #267
pvdv
Enthusiast

@ DMcCunney: I already did that i'm afraid....no succes.
It does start to do things, but when it says it's saving the .mobi file, my CPU starts making over-hours and it "hangs"...no file is being saved..
Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #268
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I make a Mobi format eBook based on HarryT's directions, will mobi2imp make a better eBook then Book Designer (now that I have the updated DLL)?
Only if you have colour / grayscale images will 'mobi2imp' make a better .IMP version.

Also, the 'margins' and 'text-justification' can be better controlled in the mobi2imp (especially if you are using just the mobi2imp.pl perl script and not the windows binaries).

By the way, there is another fix (see my TIP: thread) that allows some margin settings to survive in the .imp version. But it is somewhat cumbersome.

With mobi2imp, just beware that you're stuck with any inconsistencies (if any) introduced by the .prc/.mobi original when converting over. However, 'mobi2imp' also creates a .opf that can be loaded into eBook Publisher and from there you can further edit/build it.

All in all, I like the output of mobi2imp. Unfortunately, I don't have much hands-on experience using BD, so I really can't say which is better.

We are on the right track though...

How exactly do you prepare the 3 popular formats of an ebook? If you make three successive calls to 'Make eBooks', then there is not much time to save by only making two successive calls to 'Make eBooks' and one mobi2imp invocation.

Regards,

-Nick

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-15-2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: fixing typos
Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #269
nrapallo

Mobi2imp - version 4 ready for Mobiperl distribution

tompe:

I updated mobi2imp.pl from version 2 (included in the Mobiperl v0.0.31 distribution) to version 4. Please include this version for any future distribution.

Things that changed:
- Now better indicates that eBook Publisher must be installed first.
- now takes '--1200' and '--1100' to allow for the simultaneous creation of the REB 1200 and REB 1100 versions along with the EBW 1150 .IMP version.
- conversly, if '--1150' is specified, then the EBW 1150 .IMP version is NOT created.
I also attach the external program windows users can have 'mobi2imp' execute to 'fix' corrupt images within the .prc (that the eBook Publisher software says it can't handle). It is called nconvert.exe and is freely distributable.

If you choose to not include this external program in Mobiperl, then please comment out that 'system nconvert.exe' call line in sub fix_image_tags.

I am just learning about POD documentation, so haven't done anything yet for 'mobi2imp'.

-Nick
Attached Files
File Type: pl mobi2imp.pl (15.8 KB, 378 views)
File Type: zip nconvert.zip (385.7 KB, 354 views)
Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #270
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
nrapallo, can you try the following Mobi format eBook with your Pearl script please? I'd like to know how it compares to the IMP version as output by Book Designer.

Mobi Edition as created using HarryT's directions
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13606

IMP version created using Book Designer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17586

Thanks!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils