Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #2596
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo1984 View Post
Thanks very much for the swift advice knc1. Unfortunately I cannot remember if I did step 7 as it was many months ago and I didn't keep a record. However, given it's part of the sequence and there's no "this is optional" I'd be fairly confident I would have updated.

Either way, I managed to get the factory reset file trick to work, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

I assume I can now jailbreak again if I want to (making sure I definitely complete step 7)?

Thanks again.
No, you can't.

The device is either still jail broken or it is not, if not, using the serial port is the only way to jailbreak 5.8.10

What you now need to do is install the package attached to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5
Put it in the top of visible USB storage, disconnect the USB cord, use UYK (Update Your Kindle) menu entry to install it.
(and if that doesn't work, try the package attached to the post above that one)

You will then have to re-install anything that no longer seems to work (which is normal after an Amazon update).

= = = = =

The only thing about step #7 is the addition of the FOLDER NAME given in that step, into the top level of visible USB storage.

It would be nice to know for certain if it had been there and what firmware version you had been running.
It would have told us if there was a specific firmware version that could defeat that method of OTA protection.
(In the distant past, there had been at least a few versions that could defeat it, but nothing in the recent firmware versions could.)
But all of that will have to remain a mystery in this case.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #2597
Klapo
Klapo began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5SE
Okay new Kindle just arrived.

Bought from there https://www.amazon.de/Amazon-Kindle-...A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

I didn't connected it to WiFi to avoid upgrade! and software seems to be on 5.8.9.0.1.

Here's what I did till this moment:
1. Skipped step 0 (mostly this part about registering, so I wan't connected to internet),
2. Successfully installed factory_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin over pre-installed 5.8.9.0.1 version,
3. Successfully installed main-htmlviewer.tar.gz,
4. Successfully installed Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin,
5. Confirmed that hotfix is working by installing customer_PW3_5.8.7.0.1_update from first post then KUAL and Dummy update,
6. Installed 5.8.9.2 and all other gods :-)

Thanks for help @knc1 and all other kind people!

Last edited by Klapo; 09-18-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added more informations
Klapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #2598
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapo View Post

I didn't connected it to WiFi to avoid upgrade! and software seems to be on 5.8.9.0.1.

I'll let you know in this post if applying JB went fine
The 5.8.9.0.1 version (from outside of the USA) sometimes requires a slightly different process.
I have PM'd you the details and please reply by PM if you have to use the alternate process.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #2599
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The 5.8.9.0.1 version (from outside of the USA) sometimes requires a slightly different process.
I have PM'd you the details and please reply by PM if you have to use the alternate process.
BIG NOTE: The alternate procedure was not required with this Kindle/5.8.9.0.1 shipped from Amazon.de

Quote:

1. Skipped step 0 (mostly this part about registering, so I wan't connected to internet),
2. Successfully installed factory_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin over pre-installed 5.8.9.0.1 version,
4. Successfully installed Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin.

Right now I have two question:
1. Should I leave main-htmlviewer.tar.gz on storage for hotfix? or it's not needed as it's written in txt file?
2. How can I verify that Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin is installed successfully ?
1) Not needed once used.
2) Try to install one of our update_*.bin name format packages.
The booklet form of KUAL will run on your device/firmware and you can try installing that (directions in Step #8).

= = = = =

So Kalpo has just shown that not all 5.8.9.0.1 (the one never officially released by Amazon) builds are the same -
Some (like this one from Amazon.de), can still be jailbroken.
Perhaps the ones being shipped by Amazon Mexico are also still jail breakable.

I am not going to put the 5.8.9.0.1 exceptions back into the directions.
When they where in there, they caused too much confusion because not all builds of 5.8.9.0.1 could be jail broken - - and we never figured out why.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #2600
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
BIG NOTE: The alternate procedure was not required with this Kindle/5.8.9.0.1 shipped from Amazon.de

1) Not needed once used.
2) Try to install one of our update_*.bin name format packages.
The booklet form of KUAL will run on your device/firmware and you can try installing that (directions in Step #8).

= = = = =

So Kalpo has just shown that not all 5.8.9.0.1 (the one never officially released by Amazon) builds are the same -
Some (like this one from Amazon.de), can still be jailbroken.
Perhaps the ones being shipped by Amazon Mexico are also still jail breakable.

I am not going to put the 5.8.9.0.1 exceptions back into the directions.
When they where in there, they caused too much confusion because not all builds of 5.8.9.0.1 could be jail broken - - and we never figured out why.
Hmm... Does this offer a possible jailbreak path? Downgrades are blocked, but how about going sideways to a foreign release? This assumes that the foreign releases are available outside of the target area.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #2601
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
That is one way.
Another is to disable the OTA update download.
Details in Step #7 (which can be applied as Step #-1).
This is all fine and dandy, but when there are posts in the thread that say a JB can't be done with certain versions of the OS; how is one supposed to know that there are all these caveats to when it may or may not work?

It's great that you guys can point all this stuff out now, but it is after the fact. Blocking OTA updates reads like something that can't be done until after the JB with the way the steps are written out. Seeing that I had 3.8.9.2, everything on this thread indicates that I had no hope of JB my kindle.

I was fine with that, and I was even appreciative of everything that is done to make that possible. In all honesty, when I came on here, I wasn't expecting it to be possible to JB any modern Kindle. I would have assumed Amazon would have worked to block that years ago.

Now, I am just frustrated by all this "you could have done this" or other. Great. It would have been nice to know beforehand. I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, but as close as I thought I read everything, it is a big thread, and I guess I missed important details. Oh well.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #2602
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If you want to jailbreak your kindle, read all the steps including spoilers. in the first post before ever turning on your kindle.
Long thread yes.
All important information is in the first post.
The first post says to put in the OTA blocker.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #2603
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Hmm... Does this offer a possible jailbreak path? Downgrades are blocked, but how about going sideways to a foreign release? This assumes that the foreign releases are available outside of the target area.

Dave
Not really, this is some very special case for only one version from a few sources.
It is almost as if Amazon hired an additional factory to do the assembly and some mistakes where made getting it set-up.

Or something similar that would effect only a small portion of the finished devices for a short time.

To comply with the GPL license, Amazon posts a "source bundle" for each (intentional) firmware release:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720
Note that there is no such thing as a version: 5.8.9.0.1
At least not one that was intentionally released to the public, I.E: One that went through the release machinery that would have also posted a source bundle.

= = = =

Now it might be possible to go from 5.8.8 or 5.8.9 to 5.8.9.0.1 (that would look like a normal update to the Kindle).
But the only unofficial 5.8.9.0.1 binary (signed by Amazon) we have is for the PW3-4G and PW3-32G device (same package for both hardware versions).

I try to catch people who have a PW3-(either model) running either 5.8.8 or 5.8.9 by PM - -
Without much luck, most often I just make them mad because it wasn't mentioned in the first post (well it was, but that lead to more grief than it was worth).

I think everyone will just have to wait another six weeks or so and see if Amazon kicks out a "End of year Holiday" model that we can play with.

- - - - -

And if there is every another jail break release, it is going to be posted in the Wiki where everyone can edit it to suit.
This forum will only get an announcement post linking to the Wiki jail break article.

Who knows, maybe Alex will have the new site software running by then and both the Wiki and the Forums will use the same markup language.

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #2604
Klapo

I have one more question, I own PW2 as well, already installed 5.4.3.2 over 5.4.2 on it (not sure why... lol).

And here's the question:

There's instruction to use kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip (I guess) and skip steps #5 and #6 on PW-2. I would like to upgrade it to 5.8.9.2 but I don't want to lose JB on it. Is this possible without step #6 which is hotfix ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #2605
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I have one more question, I own PW2 as well, already installed 5.4.3.2 over 5.4.2 on it (not sure why... lol).

And here's the question:

There's instruction to use kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip (I guess) and skip steps #5 and #6 on PW-2. I would like to upgrade it to 5.8.9.2 but I don't want to lose JB on it. Is this possible without step #6 which is hotfix ?

Thanks in advance!
You don't lose the jailbreak but you will need to reinstall everything else you installed after the update.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #2606
Klapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You don't lose the jailbreak but you will need to reinstall everything else you installed after the update.
So it's not a hotfix which is keeping jailbreak between updates?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #2607
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
It *is* keeping the jailbreak, which is "the ability to add foreign software". BUT you have to reinstall the "foreign software" itself, each time.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #2608
Klapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
It *is* keeping the jailbreak, which is "the ability to add foreign software". BUT you have to reinstall the "foreign software" itself, each time.
Got it, so if on PW-2 I have to skip the point with 'hotifx' upgrades won't keep the jb on it? or jb for pw2 is already shipped with this fix?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #2609
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

And here's the question:

Thanks in advance!
The name "Hotfix" is a hold-over from days long past.

The proper descriptive name for it now is:
"Jailbreak Survival Code"
These are the code and files that make the Jailbreak and itself auto-install after installing an Amazon Update package.

That is: it makes the Jailbreak (and its auto-install code) viral.
In this case, it is a friendly virus, not an evil virus that will mortgage your first born.

Once again:
the Jailbreak (and its auto-install code)
NOTHING ELSE.
The user must re-install any add-ins they are using after each and every Amazon update installation.

= = = =

The directions here and in the prior "Universal Jailbreak" (which for a PW-2 you are directed to use) are complete.
The prior "Universal Jailbreak" used a different install system (vector), it is a one step process.

Only the procedure (attack vector) is different, what ends up on your Kindle is identical.
The contents of all jailbreaks for touchscreen devices are kept the same. When one gets changed, they all get changed.

Do that one step process and return here to finish steps #7 and #8.
Your answer:
The one step process already did the equivalent of our #5 and #6.

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #2610
glimm
glimm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

4. Successfully installed Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin,
5. Confirmed that hotfix is working by installing customer_PW3_5.8.7.0.1_update from first post then KUAL and Dummy update,
6. Installed 5.8.9.2 and all other gods :-)

Thanks for help @knc1 and all other kind people!
Today arrived my new Voyage bought from conrad.de. It was also on firmware 5.8.9.0.1.

Succesfully jailbreaked it and then installed firmware 5.8.10. All is working.

Thanks!
glimm is offline   Reply With Quote