Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #2551
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaud227 View Post
Hey, I noticed that Hackerx posted regarding jailbreaking a PW3 on 5.8.9.0.1- I just upgraded to a PW3(G090G1) and wanted to jailbreak it, it is currently on 5.8.9.0.1 and I put it on airplane mode as soon as I took it out of the box, and I'm having the same problem that Hackerx initially had, in that typing ";installHtml" isn't working. Would you mind replying or PMing me with what you advised he try?

EDIT: After doing step 4, step 5 worked. Doing step 6 now.
Keep us advised, there seems to be more than one 5.8.9.0.1 loose in the world and we haven't figured out yet how to tell them apart (other than some can be JB and some can not).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #2552
Hin0112
Hin0112 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite manga
I just bought paperwhite 32GB. Is there any news for jb? I just updated it to 5.8.10
Hin0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #2553
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hin0112 View Post
I just bought paperwhite 32GB. Is there any news for jb? I just updated it to 5.8.10
If you had stayed on 5.8.9.0.1, there are some options. but on 5.8.10 there are no option except this:

1. Return it to the store, and buy a new one that is hopefully still on 5.8.9.0.1
2. Serial port jailbreak

#1 is tougher on the Manga model if you aren't actually in Japan.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #2554
chaud227
chaud227 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Keep us advised, there seems to be more than one 5.8.9.0.1 loose in the world and we haven't figured out yet how to tell them apart (other than some can be JB and some can not).
Step 6 worked, I've successfully jailbroken the device. Just to clarify, my device was on 5.8.9.0.1 build 3175970011, I downgraded the PW3 to 5.7.4 by following steps 3 and 4, and was able to complete steps 5, 6, 7, and 8 successfully. For reference, this PW3 was purchased at Target here in the United States.

Also going to hijack my own post to mention that the left side of my bezel is slightly raised and makes noise when I try to push it down, seems like maybe it isn't glue well on this side- if anyone has any experience with this problem and knows how to fix it I'd appreciate a PM pointing me in the right direction, sorta irks my nerves. I'm considering removing the bezel and applying a silicone based glue, but I'd rather see if anyone has advice first.
chaud227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #2555
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would require a very slim strip of glue.
Instead, use Scotch Brand (transparent) double sided tape, trimmed to width needed.
(Amazon uses a commercial version of that on the top and bottom edges.)
Advert
Old 08-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #2556
Hin0112
Hin0112 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
If you had stayed on 5.8.9.0.1, there are some options. but on 5.8.10 there are no option except this:

1. Return it to the store, and buy a new one that is hopefully still on 5.8.9.0.1
2. Serial port jailbreak

#1 is tougher on the Manga model if you aren't actually in Japan.
I’m not in Japan. Hope that there will be new jb for 5.8.10 in the future.
Hin0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #2557
Flyfish
Banned
Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your jail break survived, iff you stayed away from the 'Reset' button.

The only thing that makes a jail break 'different' is the delivery vector.
The actual changes made on a touch screen device are identical.
You are in the correct place.
Translation:
You might have used a different method to install the jail break, but you installed the exact same jail break regardless of how you did it.
The above is true of all devices, all firmwares, since the K4(non-touch).
You are here, go no further, you have arrived, this thread is the current thread for touch screen devices.

Do these steps, just to be certain:

Download the package attached to this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69&postcount=5
Place it in the topmost level of visible USB storage -
(safely) Remove the USB cord -
Install it using UYK (this package is a sole exception to requiring MrPI to install packages).

Now re-install everything that seems to be broken.
Your first choice of packages is always from:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

No reason to panic (yet) -
If you report on your progress in the directions given in this post, we will even let you know when to panic.
Just one of the services of our 'full feature, support forum'
Progress report: SUCCESS!!!

Well, I'm impress. Speechless. Not enough words in my limitated english to express my gratitude (that's not exactly true, but all the expresions that come my mind include an "f" at least).

I'll explain a little bit in order to help others in my situation:

- Jailbroken PW2, Kual installed with some apps included (basically Koreader). Updated from some unknown firmware version to 5.8.9.2. Because of the update, all the JB related stuff stopped to work.
- Not knowing if the JB survived the upgrade, I tried to reinstall Kual, etc. in order to try something.
- I followed the steps of above provided by Knc1. I got stuck with the "UYK" acronim, which I managed to know that means "Update your kindle". This is a method to install some packages which you have to do through the update option in the Kindle menu. Once figured out that, I installed the package and the kindle reboot as usual. After that, everything is working ok (Kual, Koreader, etc.), even without reinstall.

So my advice, if you think that you screwed something up, is to stay calm and begin to read (well, that's a kindle we are talking about. It's main use is for reading. Show us how well you do that) . And when you don't know what else to do, DO NOTHING. Ask to people who knows more than you, try to provide the most information possible about your screwing, and follow CAREFULLY the guidance provided.
And don't panic. Sure you are already ready to it, but don't. The nice people who help in this forum will even indicate you when to panic, so don't worry.

Many, many thanks. I'd be lost without my kindle, and its inner epub books.

Regards!
Flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #2558
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Step 6 worked, I've successfully jailbroken the device. Just to clarify, my device was on 5.8.9.0.1 build 3175970011, I downgraded the PW3 to 5.7.4 by following steps 3 and 4, and was able to complete steps 5, 6, 7, and 8 successfully. For reference, this PW3 was purchased at Target here in the United States.

Also going to hijack my own post to mention that the left side of my bezel is slightly raised and makes noise when I try to push it down, seems like maybe it isn't glue well on this side- if anyone has any experience with this problem and knows how to fix it I'd appreciate a PM pointing me in the right direction, sorta irks my nerves. I'm considering removing the bezel and applying a silicone based glue, but I'd rather see if anyone has advice first.

You could also try warming it up with a hair dryer, and seeing if the glue that's already in there will stick better.

Dont blow dry it too long though.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #2559
c33v33
c33v33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Software Jailbreak for PW2, PW3, PW3W, KT2, KV, KOA and KT3

Quote:

Thank you for confirming. This downgrade works on my PW3 5.8.9.0.1 (same build) too. I'm currently on 5.7.4.

Updated: Now on 5.8.7.0.1

Last edited by c33v33; 08-28-2017 at 08:00 AM.
c33v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #2560
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In step 4 of the first post it reads "After validating the downloaded file" referring to the bin file used to downgrade the OS to a previous version. What is meant by validate?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #2561
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I'm still out of luck. I got a replacement PW3 for my wife because the battery wouldn't hold a charge. It has version 5.8.10 on it even after a reset. I tried updating with the version indicated in post 1 and update is greyed out. I then tried downloading and updating with 5.8.7.0.1 but the kindle says I've got an invalid update file.

So, "no soup for me!"

I'm updating with a Mac on 10.12.6 (Sierra).

Last edited by jangell2; 09-02-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #2562
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I guess I'm still out of luck. I got a replacement PW3 for my wife because the battery wouldn't hold a charge. It has version 5.8.10 on it even after a reset. I tried updating with the version indicated in post 1 and update is greyed out. I then tried downloading and updating with 5.8.7.0.1 but the kindle says I've got an invalid update file.

So, "no soup for me!"

Is there some reason you think I would not have kept the first post current?
That is almost insulting.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #2563
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

So, "no soup for me!"

Just out of curiosity,
Did it come with 5.8.10 or did you turn on the wireless immediately?
Once it gets to 5.8.10 there is no turning back. You are stuck on a straight and narrow path for the foreseeable future.

So no soup for you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #2564
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:

So, "no soup for me!"

Your only option at this time is to follow the serial port jailbreak thread. Be warned, this requires opening the unit and making connections to tiny, fragile connections on the system board with the proper hardware. The board connections are easy to pull off and using the wrong hardware can burn out the board. Needless to say once you open the case you are your warranty. So if you are a bull in a china shop this option is not for you.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #2565
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Your only option at this time is to follow the serial port jailbreak thread. Be warned, this requires opening the unit and making connections to tiny, fragile connections on the system board with the proper hardware. The board connections are easy to pull off and using the wrong hardware can burn out the board. Needless to say once you open the case you are your warranty. So if you are a bull in a china shop this option is not for you.

Dave
I have opened up pc's that are meant for upgrading and added hard drives or memory, but this looks like it's in the "china shop" category.