Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #241
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfarran View Post
Thanks. Yes my WiFi is definitely working.
On the Sage?

Try again later.
I bought a Sage for someone once and it couldn't load the Notebook FW even 1st time. I copied the files from a working Sage. Next time was fine. So sometimes the server may be off line.

This is why I won't by a Kindle Scribe. It's one thing an occasional OTA upgrade, but ANY gadget or ereader gratuitously depending on the Internet as a deliberate design decision by the supplier is a failure.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:47 AM   #242
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
The question is why was it pulled out?

and did something change between the first release and then re-release of the fw?
For what it's worth, the files are identical in my original download for the Sage and a re-download. I suspect the issue may have been on the Kobo server end. I never saw any issues with syncing purchased books, etc, though others reported issues.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2023, 02:18 PM   #243
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Inkpad Color
Question

I had updated to 4.35.20400 and then applied the patches as well. For some reason when I synced it wanted to update again and I have to re-patch. I don't understand.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:52 AM   #244
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
My Forma updated for the second time automatically. I had to manually downgrade it the 1st time. So after the 2nd upgrade I do not see the issue I saw the 1st time. This makes me think they had an issue on the server side, pulled the update, fixed it, and released the update for the 2nd time
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:42 AM   #245
alexfarran
alexfarran began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
On the Sage?

Try again later.
Good advice. I tried again today and it synced the handwriting recognition resources with no problem.
alexfarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #246
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
We don't seem to know why yet, but it was reported above that the version number is identical for first and second releases, which it would not have been if there had been changes
It would be a real PITA if someone forgot to bump the release ID as there are folk with the old version that won't get a fix this round.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #247
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it's worth, the files are identical in my original download for the Sage and a re-download. I suspect the issue may have been on the Kobo server end. I never saw any issues with syncing purchased books, etc, though others reported issues.
How many servers does Kobo have? Perhaps the syncing issue was only with specific ones.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:50 PM   #248
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It would be a real PITA if someone forgot to bump the release ID as there are folk with the old version that won't get a fix this round.

Does this mean I need to downgrade my kobo’s before downloading the latest version? I upgraded manually before they took the release down.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:10 PM   #249
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't think so in this case as folk say it was a (store?) server not ready.
And the file is the same exact size.

But, other than wear on the Flash, that would be the trick if you had needed to.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:07 PM   #250
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Does this mean I need to downgrade my kobo’s before downloading the latest version? I upgraded manually before they took the release down.
You would not need to downgrade. A simple re-install of the new version over itself would have the same effect. However since the SHA-256 checksum for the files in the upgrade are identical, my belief is that the issue was on Kobo's end and not with the firmware.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:16 PM   #251
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Libra Colour & Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS apps
WiFi syncing with Kobo's cloud across devices and apps has been broken for some time.

I ran a syncing test the other night. The only stat that consistently and quickly syncs across Kobo devices and apps is the percentage read stat. It updates almost immediately for the Kobo apps, and within moments for the Kobo devices after waking from sleep or manual sync.

Unfortunately, the stat is a lie. Although each book showed, for example, 26% complete, the last page read was different for each device or app. This is beyond variances in typesetting. They would be within the same chapter, but be completely different by several pages. Often, I would be prompted while reading to sync to the last read page. Doing so would bring me to a page from the other day, thus showing that Kobo's servers aren't propagating the changes or updating correctly.

Highlights and notes usually require a manual sync to show up for each device or app, but sometimes can take hours to have parity. And there are discrepancies. Even a day later, the iOS apps would not be fully synced with all highlights or notes. My iPad had issues with one book, and my iPhone another. Removing the book and redownloading it was the only way to fix this issue, though sometimes it wouldn't. In those cases, I would have to delete the note and highlight, then do it again to make it stick across all Kobo instances.

Syncing between Kobo devices works fine, though. Usually within ten minutes. Sometimes faster.

If like me you want to utilize the easier and quicker keyboard on the iOS apps to input notes, then return to reading on the Kobo eReader with its comfort light and super dim screen for late night reading, you'll end up frustrated as sync parity is a finicky business. It wasn't always this way, but has been for over a year now.

Last edited by Cootey; 01-25-2023 at 10:18 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #252
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'm getting the 'endless sync' issue again...
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:14 AM   #253
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Just to record I had my first spontaneous reboot with Kobo Libra 2 firmware 4.35.20400. -quietly reading, not touching any buttons or the screen, screen light goes off, screen goes blank, reboots.
So they've not fixed that yet then
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:21 AM   #254
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I haven't had any reboots with my Libra 2 for most of the year now.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #255
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I haven't had any reboots with my Libra 2 for most of the year now.
Mine has rebooted on its own with every firmware version since I've had the device, but some, like you are reboot-free.
I wonder if it's down to different internal components
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release