Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #241
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Which you nearly alwyas have for the few times you are without WiFi of you are not camping or doing something else away from civilization.
In which case, I don't need a 7" tablet. I only need it when I'm on vacation.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #242
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
In which case, I don't need a 7" tablet. I only need it when I'm on vacation.
I need a tablet on all my vacation to look up maps, buy tickets, check opening hours, find restaurants and so on. Looking forward to a cheap 7" tablet that I can afford to loose. I really do not like to bring my expensive work iPad to pub and bars.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I need a tablet on all my vacation to look up maps, buy tickets, check opening hours, find restaurants and so on. Looking forward to a cheap 7" tablet that I can afford to loose. I really do not like to bring my expensive work iPad to pub and bars.
Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? Excellent tablet, and very reasonably priced. Not "cheap", perhaps, but what you get for your money is excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #244
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If I'm on a vacation where I'll have access to a TV, then I'll just take a 4" tablet (Galaxy Player).
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #245
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
You don't need a tablet for that, any current phone will do it. And my current phone takes 32GB mSDs. You can try to justify it all day if you want, but a media consumption device without removable storage is crippled, and crippled for the profit of whomever wants to lock you into their particular "cloud ecosystem". If you're happy to be corralled like that then fine, most on here seem to prefer a little more independence and choice.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #246
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
You don't need a tablet for that, any current phone will do it. And my current phone takes 32GB mSDs. You can try to justify it all day if you want, but a media consumption device without removable storage is crippled, and crippled for the profit of whomever wants to lock you into their particular "cloud ecosystem". If you're happy to be corralled like that then fine, most on here seem to prefer a little more independence and choice.
Well, yes you can use the phone for most thing but reading and handling a lot of emails for example is much easier to do on a tablet. Just reading stuff is usually easier to do on a tablet.

I totally hate cripling to force people to use a specific eco system. That is why I hate Apple's policies. Android behave more like an ordinary computer and is not as cripling as Apple's products. And I really do not think that the design decicions are made here to lock people into an eco system. They are done for different reasons. And I really think that people are exaggerting the actual practial problems that most people will see in their usages.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #247
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Which you nearly alwyas have for the few times you are without WiFi of you are not camping or doing something else away from civilization.
That's interesting line of thought.

In essence, the major trouble with "pure cloud client" device is that our connectivity (in very broad sense, think about visiting another continent) is not universal, which in turn limits the (true) mobility of the solution?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #248
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And I really do not think that the design decicions are made here to lock people into an eco system. They are done for different reasons.
I have this bridge in Brooklyn. Interested?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #249
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
I have this bridge in Brooklyn. Interested?
The SD slot design decision was what I meant. Of course other design decicions are made to stimulate use of the eco system. But since you can download whatever file you want and use alternative media players I do not see were you get the lock in effect from?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #250
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I have a 250GB monthly cap. The ISP says it's enough to stream one HD movie a day. The most I ever used was 14GB and I don't stream movies. A few songs only and a short (and usually cute) YouTube video on occasion. I imagine it would be hard to stay under 20GB for a moderately heavy internet user.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #251
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"but a media consumption device without removable storage is crippled, and crippled for the profit of whomever wants to lock you into their particular "cloud ecosystem"
."

This,of course, is merely your opinion.
Ultimately the buyer/user has to make this determination based on their planned usage
Like myself,for example.

I bought the kindle fire back in Dec 2011
Since then read about 14 Novels none of which were purchased from Amazon
Right now its "loaded" with about two years worth of books ,converted with Calibre for OSX, on my ,to be read, list.

I have about 55 Android 2.3 apps&games installed only ONE was purchased from Amazon all the other are APK's side loaded via USB from my Macbook via another market accessible device.
I do not even use the ugly Stock Amazon interface opting for the customizable GO launcher EX instead

Additionaly because I am running two third party comic book readers(comic reader mobi perfect viewer)
I am a able to leverage my existing comic book collection that has been digitized to CBR format
At the moment I have about 125 unread comics from Marvel ,DC, DarkHorse and a few indie publishers
on my kindle fire and over 1000 sitting on my External Mac Firewire drive waiting to be "rotated in" at some point in the future completely bypassing Amazon's built in, closed format, internet dependent "comixology" app.

Video??..Sorry I am a CG artist who prefers big budget visual effect movies I have no interest in watching cameron's "Avatar" or "the Avengers" on a seven inch screen.
the only video stored on my FK is my current animation Demo Reel along with my CG illustration portfolio to show potential clients.

I have never "streamed" a video from Amazons "cloud" and likely never will.
and I am NOT "rooted"

My point here is be imaginative& realistic about your personal usage needs& habits.
Android tablets such as the kindle fire are only as "locked into someone's Ecosystem"as much as your mind permits it.

Last edited by Anabran; 07-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #252
plib
Guru

Quote:
The SD slot design decision was what I meant. Of course other design decicions are made to stimulate use of the eco system. But since you can download whatever file you want and use alternative media players I do not see were you get the lock in effect from?
First of all "download any file you want" depends on consistent, cheap and reasonably unlimited broadband to be of any use. Did you miss the post where someone is limited to 20GB pm or pay $10 per GB? That doesn't go far on video. Also no matter what your package it's no good if you can't access it. You've already had examples of how that can happen. If you're out of touch with whatever cloud you're locked into then all you have is an expensive paperweight, and I'm sure even in Sweden there are places that aren't supplied with high-speed broadband.

I don't really care. No discussion on here is going to change Google's mind. If you're happy to plunk down money for it, go ahead. I'm not, and I won't.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #253
plib
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
."

This,of course, is merely your opinion.
Ultimately the buyer/user has to make this determination based on their planned usage

I have never "streamed" a video from Amazons "cloud" and likely never will.
and I am NOT "rooted"
Of course it's my opinion, whose else would it be?

Wonderful for you. I'm really impressed. But "in my opinion" not mainstream use, and certainly not the user base Amazon is aiming for.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #254
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"and certainly not the user base Amazon is aiming for."
I agree
however My KF lack of an SD slot along with Amazon's perfectly legitimate business model of encouraging use of their ecosystem.
,has NOT resulted in me and those independent minded users like me, being saddled with a so called "Crippled Device".
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #255
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I imagine it would be hard to stay under 20GB for a moderately heavy internet user.
Two teens in my household, both of them grew up with their own PC's in their rooms. Everything is wired, one internet connection (to bind them all). I always-always-always paid extra for unlimited internet. No Netflix.

And than one day, the message came from my ISP informing me that Canadian CRTC decided to accept (in)famous Usage Based Billing proposal, and that caps will be applied if I decide to stay with them. A quick check of my router stats left me in complete shock: last 10 days (firmware upgrade, all previous stats were lost) the bandwidth consumption was... 27 GB.

What? How? It turns out that major drain came from... Youtube. It was, and still is, used as a modern equivalent of jukebox. One picks up the tune and minimizes the browser once it starts to play. That's how you listen to music on Internet, dad. The digital generation and its birthrights.

Half a million Canadians signed up online petition, and UBB went away. I learned how one becomes a "bandwidth hog".
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet