Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #241
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I got my Nook Glowlight Plus today and I'm surprised at how nice it is. It's very thin and light. I like the flush screen a lot. I find the font selection and the controls to adjust the page adequate although I would have liked a little more control. That's not really very important to me, though.

I read a couple of chapters of my current book on it and the screen is sometimes excellent. In less than perfect room light where I have to set the front light a bit brighter the contrast diminishes a bit but not enough to really be a problem.

In good light it looks as good as my Voyage. In so-so light it still looks better than my Kobo Glo but not by much. I read on all of these devices and I like them so this shouldn't be taken as a complaint. Just a comparison.

There are a couple of disappointments. I seem to have no way to control the look of the home page. On my Voyage I've set it to show a text listing of books instead of covers. On my Kobo I can't set it that way permanently but when I'm browsing I do set it that way before I begin. On the NGP there seem to be no options. I have a single scrolling line of covers and that's it.

I put about 20 or so books on it and then went to find the book I'm reading an I had to scroll a bit till I found it. And with only cover view it's not that easy to spot. But at least when I did find it and opened it and then closed it it left it as the leftmost book so I won't have to scroll next time. This would not be a good device to have hundreds of books on. I don't usually do that anyway but if I did I'd pick a different device.

The other thing is that tapping controls and menu items is iffy. I often have to tap twice or even more times. Swiping to turn pages always seems to work the first time and that's the main thing.

All in all I like it a lot. If they'll fix these issues in future updates this could easily become a favorite reader.

[edit] I almost forgot to mention the thing I like least about it: the N button. I keep accidentally touching that thing and bringing myself back to the home screen. If I don't get used to it soon I'll probably put a piece of tape over it, maybe with a hole in the center so I can still use it. At least then I might not hit it by accident so easily.[/edit]

Barry

Last edited by barryem; 11-05-2015 at 04:44 PM.
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #242
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Unfortunately, you can't.

calibre can transfer the book file, but that won't authorize the Nook to read the book.
You need ADE to authorize the Nook, but B&N apparently didn't bother to test that it worked before releasing.

YES calibre can solve that problem with help from Alf, but the tools do not work on library books, and with good reason.
Sadly you are mistaken, the tools do not differentiate between library books and books that use a DRM scheme they strip. Alf asks that you not use them in this way for obvious reasons.

Last edited by MGlitch; 11-05-2015 at 09:26 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #243
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Sadly you are mistaken, the tools do not differentiate between library books and books that use a DRM scheme they strip. Alf asks that you not use them in this way for obvious reasons.
I was under the impression that the tools include code to check for library metadata.

Either way, I can think of worse things to do than "mistakenly" encourage people to not bother trying to DeDRM library ebooks.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have DRM except for library books.
Then the tools could be retired, and everyone would be happy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #244
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd agree there are worse things than trying to make sure folks don't circumvent what is really the only thing DRM should be enabled to prevent.

I was under the impression that most if not all metadata was generally not protected by DRM and that it was generally the text of the book itself that was protected.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #245
TheDudeJoe
TheDudeJoe began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Glowlight Plus
I got the update, it even told me "Now compatible with digital editions"
but I can't get ADE to recognize my nook.
TheDudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #246
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeJoe View Post
reboot your computer?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #247
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
So the update is not an unicorn !

Do they say anything wrt USB mass-storage and/or MTP in the changelog ?
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #248
MGlitch
Wizard

the only change log would be on BNs site, and currently the only update listed there is the one posted the day before the NGLP launched which added support for BN's new feature 'readouts'
Old 11-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #249
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I got an update shortly after I got my new Nook and it added the Readout feature. I don't use ADE so I don't know if it added that or not. I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

My new software version is 4.5.073. I didn't notice what it was before the update.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #250
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I got an update shortly after I got my new Nook and it added the Readout feature. I don't use ADE so I don't know if it added that or not. I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

My new software version is 4.5.073. I didn't notice what it was before the update.

Barry
This was the update BN issued on the October 21st, it doesn't add ADE support.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #251
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
can someone who has received the newest software post the version please?

Ps. I am on the above version and my device says it is up to date and it seems that BN does not post downloadable software.

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #252
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Mine is 4.5.1.29. Must be mad scientists at B&N trying to fake us out by sending different people different versions! Very strange.

Edit: Wait... my NGP is upgrading again... Software Version 4.5.1.33, aka Platform Version 45.1.8. Looks like a bug fixing upgrade. Don't see anything new.

Last edited by downeaster59; 11-07-2015 at 06:17 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #253
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Mine is 4.5.1.29. Must be mad scientists at B&N trying to fake us out by sending different people different versions! Very strange.

Edit: Wait... my NGP is upgrading again... Software Version 4.5.1.33, aka Platform Version 45.1.8. Looks like a bug fixing upgrade. Don't see anything new.
Thank you for posting!

Darn it!

I am still stuck at 4.5.0.73 Software
45.0.25 Platform

What the heck is wrong with BN! (well that's a long list) !

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #254
TheDudeJoe
TheDudeJoe began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Glowlight Plus

Got another update.
Software Version 4.5.1.33
Platform Version 45.1.8_user
now under Settings > Account & Profile there is a "Adobe DRM Settings option.
There I added my Adobe ID, but still can't get the NOOK to show up in ADE

Last edited by TheDudeJoe; 11-07-2015 at 06:55 PM.
TheDudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:56 PM   #255
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Got another update.
Software Version 4.5.1.33

now under Settings > Account & Profile there is a "Adobe DRM Settings option.
There I added my Adobe ID, but still can't get the NOOK to show up in ADE
the nook won't work with ADE because it's using MTP instead of showing up as a removable drive. Use Calibre to manage your ADE eBooks and you'll be able to easily put them on your nook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hn5yksK.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	676.1 KB
ID:	143557  
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote