28th March to 31st March 3 4.35%
1st April to 30th April 22 31.88%
1st May to 31st December 2009 21 30.43%
Never! 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #241
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Well as I mentioned, in the note, the Bookeen may still be a good deal outside of North America. In N.A. we have

the Kindle at $359 with more features.
the Sony reader is often well under $300 with a credit card deal
the Astak Ezreader price varies, but has been as low as $229 at Fry's
8gb iPod Touch for $213
the Jetbook for $179

Coming in six weeks the new 5" EZ reader for $199

Furthermore, the expected new readers in the next six months are potentially astounding. I know that Bookeen may also introduce a new generation of readers. I noted originally that I was pleased with my original purchase. At the time Bookeen first released the unit we had spec sheets from Jinke and Netronix, but not much commercially available. Bookeen was first to general market availability with a Netronix unit. However, they have since let the field catch up to them.
Here in France the choice is basically Sony psr-500 or Cybook gen 3. And at the time i went looking, it was only gen 3.
psr - 700 looks nice, but as sony is not interested in selling stuff to us, i'm not interested in buying it.

Ipod is differant thing altogether.
Jetbook too, and not sure it's available here.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:31 AM   #242
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
as long as I can still get mobi files, I'm happy.

interesting, mobipocket.com is based in France - the site refers to trade according to French Law?
prices are advertised in $, + 19.6% VAT;

a European store selling, for example, A Game of Thrones/A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin
restricted to US only.

[at least it can be purchased at WHSmith]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #243
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Be that as it may, there is NO machine on the market which has Mobipocket support as good as that of the Gen3. I've been keeping a careful eye out for a possible successor, but there's just nothing to compare. Bookeen have done a superb job when it comes to Mobipocket books.
Well non-E-ink machines has better MobiPocket support. But I think it is bad to buy a machine now for MobiPocket support since Epub will soon take over.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #244
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well non-E-ink machines has better MobiPocket support. But I think it is bad to buy a machine now for MobiPocket support since Epub will soon take over.
Without dictionary-support I don't want Epub

I want steps forward in ebook developing, not backward
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #245
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post

I see it as a step sidewise and forward.

I always have my phone with me and it takes the same amount of time looking up a word on the phone that it does using the Cybook.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #246
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You might be correct, but I hear the same story about Linux for the last few years. It's open source, it is better, it is free, it is simpler...and almost nobody uses it.

Yes I know there are people using it, but more than 90% uses a MS product and they simply don't care. Most people are not interested in those arguments for the same reasons nobody is interested in a better toaster as long as the old one makes nice slices of toast.

For me personally I see no real advantage for switching to ePub. Als long as I can read my book. Fancy formatting is not important as long as I have things as a new chapter or a new paragraph. And I do want good dictionary support in my reader and not in a separate device
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #247
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
"only 6000 pages"
Where do you see this? I can't found such an information in the weltbild website?!
I just looked and they've changed it to "up to 10 books with a battery charge".
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #248
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
You might be correct, but I hear the same story about Linux for the last few years. It's open source, it is better, it is free, it is simpler...and almost nobody uses it...
...And I do want good dictionary support in my reader and not in a separate device
100% ACK

Last edited by gerraldo; 06-02-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #249
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
... And I do want good dictionary support in my reader and not in a separate device
I agree totally there ! As I read a lot in public transport, I don't want to put away my Cybook to pick my phone and search a word (I often have only one free hand, the other used to keep me straight and avoid me to fall !). BTW, that would not be cautious (avoiding too much temptation for potential thieves ! )
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 AM   #250
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Just take a Good Big Dictionary© in four volumes with you! It's the easiest way
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #251
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Just take a Good Big Dictionary© in four volumes with you! It's the easiest way
If you want a BIG dictionary you should take the Dutch one. We have the largest dictionary in the world. There are 43 volumes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woorden...rlandsche_Taal
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #252
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Furthermore, the expected new readers in the next six months are potentially astounding. I know that Bookeen may also introduce a new generation of readers. I noted originally that I was pleased with my original purchase. At the time Bookeen first released the unit we had spec sheets from Jinke and Netronix, but not much commercially available. Bookeen was first to general market availability with a Netronix unit. However, they have since let the field catch up to them.
I think that this is the crucial point. I have been very happy with my Cybook though a little disappointed that some upgrades have not happened and lucky not to have tested the quality of customer support.

However I would hesitate to buy from the company again because they do not appear to have resources to keep up with development in an accelerating market.

The last update nine months ago? A development blog whose last entry was three months ago? A device which has been around for 18 months and still has buttons that don't do anything? This does not appear to be a company capable of competing in a market that is developing so fast and attracting the interest of so many powerful players.

I'm grateful to Booken for the enjoyment I've had from the Cybook but I doubt they'll be around in 10 years.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #253
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
If you want a BIG dictionary you should take the Dutch one. We have the largest dictionary in the world. There are 43 volumes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woorden...rlandsche_Taal

Bookeen should provide it for dutch people
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #254
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Why wait for Bookeen - just scrape the website and format it yourself*

Quote:

Bookeen should provide it for dutch people

*Umm... no, not really.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-03-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarification
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #255
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
I'm grateful to Booken for the enjoyment I've had from the Cybook but I doubt they'll be around in 10 years.
I doubt eInk-readers as we know 'em will be around in 10 years...

BTW: Pocketbook FW looks more and more tempting... there are rumours it'll be available (to buy) for other readers soon...