28th March to 31st March 3 4.35%
1st April to 30th April 22 31.88%
1st May to 31st December 2009 21 30.43%
Never! 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #226
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Alright. My comparison might be a lil bit farfetched. Course, it's by far more simple to deliver an update and so to enhance the functionality of the device. Nevertheless the updates were not part of the contract when you bought the device. It would be great if we could have a new update every couple of months. But as you said it's a matter of goodwill. It's not their obligation, while everyone here talks as if it was. I concur that being more responsive could make a difference for bookeen, cos it would set em apart from the big fish and help them attract more customers, while the opposite approach might just as well put em out of business.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #227
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Alright. My comparison might be a lil bit farfetched. Course, it's by far more simple to deliver an update and so to enhance the functionality of the device.
I would argue that they were. A working delete button most definitely was part of the contract. Folder support was promised so I also think it as part of the contract. I think better html support and support for more formats were promised also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #228
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So can we say that about 50% of the people that voted in this poll were overly optimistic (wrong)?

Unless a new firmware release was made and I totally missed it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #229
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
it was a transparent piece of firmware -

it did not need to be installed and no new bugs were created,

nor did it add any new features, nor correct existing issues.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #230
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Alright. My comparison might be a lil bit farfetched. Course, it's by far more simple to deliver an update and so to enhance the functionality of the device. Nevertheless the updates were not part of the contract when you bought the device. It would be great if we could have a new update every couple of months. But as you said it's a matter of goodwill. It's not their obligation, while everyone here talks as if it was. I concur that being more responsive could make a difference for bookeen, cos it would set em apart from the big fish and help them attract more customers, while the opposite approach might just as well put em out of business.
I half agree with you. I do think that you need to be comfortable with what you bought and when you bought it. Also, understand the fine print. There are definite risks you take if you are an early adopter. For example, there is no guarantee that the 'experimental' web browser with the Kindle will always be free. Amazon said that wikipedia was included but no such word on the general web.

Furthermore, I don't think its so good to beat a dead horse. While I admit I have been negative here, I have tried to bite my tongue and keep from being overly complaining about the Cybook.

On the other hand, I see the real use of these forums as means of education for those who are new to the area. Those who are looking for a reader and want to understand how it works for its buyers. I think it is proper that they see the full range of user satisfaction so that they can judge how it applies to their case.

Bottom line is that I am happy with my Cybook purchase, but much of that credit goes to the fact that it is an Eink device. Netronix gets some credit for a slim design, that is available for all Netronix OEM customers. However, I wasn't so happy with their ergonomics or the button responsiveness. Also, I wasn't happy with the SD problems I had. Bookeen's value added comes to the software and customer service. The software provided the minimum requirements but I wasn't satisfied. It took about a full minute to turn on with my 400 book library. I might have been happy if they showed improvement. Additionally, their customer service wasn't sterling -- maybe its gotten better according to some recent reports here?

As Abelturd has said, no one really has a great customer support process today. Try to get Amazon and you'll see a hit or miss process. I've heard of some customers with great experience, but I have personally had several unanswered emails.

The point is that the Cybook has an adequate, but not outstanding hardware unit; workable, but not great software; and spotty customer service. They don't have the resources to develop their own hardware. They don't have the resources (as demonstrated by experience) to develop and update their software. They don't choose to shine in customer service. Furthermore, their price is not a bargain.

If you don't live in the US/Canada then the Kindle is only available in a crippled version. Likewise, there are some bookstore problems with the Sony outside of the US/Canada. If you absolutely have to have an eInk device today outside of north america, the Cybook may be your best bet. However, I would carefully consider the emerging options first.

Finally, you are correct that current buyers can't expect anything better than they already have, but they can hope. Furthermore, the message to future buyers is pretty clear: Don't count an anything better than what you bought originally, and given the current state versus the competition its not that good of a deal.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #231
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So can we say that about 50% of the people that voted in this poll were overly optimistic (wrong)?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #232
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would argue that they were. A working delete button most definitely was part of the contract. Folder support was promised so I also think it as part of the contract. I think better html support and support for more formats were promised also.
As I bought the CyBook I knew exactly what I'd get, because I looked for information on the internet. I was totally aware what would work, what not and what has been promised.

My decision to buy the CyBook was based on the features it has and the value I'd get for my money. This is the way I do all my business - seek as much information as possible and decide if the goods are worth the amount of money to be spent.

This way I have lots of fun with my CyBook (now) and if someday a new firmware will be out, I'll be happy to get all these new features for free and if not, so what...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #233
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Don't count an anything better than what you bought originally, and given the current state versus the competition its not that good of a deal.
Can you please tell me what (available) competitors you have in mind?!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #234
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
As I bought the CyBook I knew exactly what I'd get, because I looked for information on the internet. I was totally aware what would work, what not and what has been promised.

My decision to buy the CyBook was based on the features it has and the value I'd get for my money. This is the way I do all my business - seek as much information as possible and decide if the goods are worth the amount of money to be spent.

This way I have lots of fun with my CyBook (now) and if someday a new firmware will be out, I'll be happy to get all these new features for free and if not, so what...
Furthermore, I could say that, as I work among computers/sofwares, I rarely count on promises ! So I didn't choose Cybook for what it would be... And I didn't vote for this poll either !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #235
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I only take that into consideration I am waiting for a firmware that will bring back the battery time to 7 days as it was when I bough my Cybook (now it is just 4 days or so). I would also have a firmware that formatted the text as good as the first firmware (they destroyed this when introducing hyphenation).

It is just not that they do not deliver what they promise. They have also made features that I counted on worse with newer firmwares. And it is not really an option not to upgrade since my replaced Cybook cannot run old firmware.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #236
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
If I only take that into consideration I am waiting for a firmware that will bring back the battery time to 7 days as it was when I bough my Cybook (now it is just 4 days or so).
You sure it's not normal wear or a slowly dying battery?!

Quote:
They have also made features that I counted on worse with newer firmwares. And it is not really an option not to upgrade since my replaced Cybook cannot run old firmware.
I can understand you completely on this! This is a VERY bad thing. Have you ever complained to them about this (better formatting or battery life would be good for all of us)? Come to think of... maybe battery life has something to do with the better/faster hardware!? (e.g. with the Weltbild reader is claimed to only last for 6000 pages)

Old 06-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #237
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You sure it's not normal wear or a slowly dying battery?!
I have measured it carefully by changing back and forth between firmware. The reason is most probably that when they tried to fix the bug with missing key presses they just increased the sample frequency instead of fixing the underlying design problem.

Quote:
I can understand you completely on this! This is a VERY bad thing. Have you ever complained to them about this (better formatting or battery life would be good for all of us)? Come to think of... maybe battery life has something to do with the better/faster hardware!? (e.g. with the Weltbild reader is claimed to only last for 6000 pages)
Yes, I sent a couple of emails about this but no response.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #238
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Can you please tell me what (available) competitors you have in mind?!
Well as I mentioned, in the note, the Bookeen may still be a good deal outside of North America. In N.A. we have

the Kindle at $359 with more features.
the Sony reader is often well under $300 with a credit card deal
the Astak Ezreader price varies, but has been as low as $229 at Fry's
8gb iPod Touch for $213
the Jetbook for $179

Coming in six weeks the new 5" EZ reader for $199

Furthermore, the expected new readers in the next six months are potentially astounding. I know that Bookeen may also introduce a new generation of readers. I noted originally that I was pleased with my original purchase. At the time Bookeen first released the unit we had spec sheets from Jinke and Netronix, but not much commercially available. Bookeen was first to general market availability with a Netronix unit. However, they have since let the field catch up to them.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #239
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Well as I mentioned, in the note, the Bookeen may still be a good deal outside of North America. In N.A. we have

the Kindle at $359 with more features.
the Sony reader is often well under $300 with a credit card deal
the Astak Ezreader price varies, but has been as low as $229 at Fry's
8gb iPod Touch for $213
the Jetbook for $179

Coming in six weeks the new 5" EZ reader for $199

Furthermore, the expected new readers in the next six months are potentially astounding. I know that Bookeen may also introduce a new generation of readers. I noted originally that I was pleased with my original purchase. At the time Bookeen first released the unit we had spec sheets from Jinke and Netronix, but not much commercially available. Bookeen was first to general market availability with a Netronix unit. However, they have since let the field catch up to them.
Be that as it may, there is NO machine on the market which has Mobipocket support as good as that of the Gen3. I've been keeping a careful eye out for a possible successor, but there's just nothing to compare. Bookeen have done a superb job when it comes to Mobipocket books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 AM   #240
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Come to think of... maybe battery life has something to do with the better/faster hardware!?
I doubt since the Gen3 go to a sleep state after changing the page, so it should be nearly the same time for both. And better, even if the CPU is 2x more speed, it will calculate with less time the new page, so the non sleep time is less than before, so it will have a longer battery life! (it's only speculation/theory)

Quote:
(e.g. with the Weltbild reader is claimed to only last for 6000 pages)
Where do you see this? I can't found such an information in the weltbild website?!
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote