Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 AM   #226
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
I just got my Sony Card!!!!!!! Now which page was it that had the detailed instructions on all the convoluted steps to get my reader for 49.00?
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #227
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm going to be giving the credit card people a call on Friday to find out if they can tell me if I've been approved. if so, then I just need to wait to get the card and then make my purchase.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #228
Dublee
Dublee began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS TF300, iPad 1, Nook Tablet (CM7), Nook ST, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenflight View Post
I just got my Sony Card!!!!!!! Now which page was it that had the detailed instructions on all the convoluted steps to get my reader for 49.00?
You'll need to create a Sony Rewards account at sonyrewards.com. In order to place an order at the site, you'll need at least 50 rewards points. When placing your order, the amount of points (1 point = $0.01) you have will be detected from the discounted reader price. The difference you'll need to pay with a credit card - any credit card will do. The price will be more than $49.00 because shipping is included, about < $60 once done. There is no faster shipping option.

Here's a snip from the site to get additional points:

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/earn/earning_points/

"Here are some of the ways you can earn Sony Rewards Points:

* Creating your "Wish List" of Sony products - 50 points
* Monthly confirmation or updating of your Wish List - 25 points per month
* Completing a Sony Rewards poll or survey - minimum 10 points per poll or survey
* Completing the Your Profile questionnaire under Your Account - 50 points
* Participating in clubs for certain Sony Television programs. Wheel of Fortune, Days of our Lives, and Game Show Network all have clubs here at Sony Rewards with activities that let you play along to earn valuable points. For example, if you play the Wheel of Fortune Bonus Puzzle each weekday, you can earn 10 points per puzzle."
Dublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #229
Ravenflight
Connoisseur

Got my Sony order confirmation. Total cost 58.39
What's the current promotion on e-books? I've been trying to get into Sony's Connect site to find out but it keeps telling me it's down. I hope the Mobipocket DRM server virus isn't spreading...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #230
Martytoof
Enthusiast
Martytoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Current promotion is for $100 in free "Classics" I believe. Basically the same books you can get from Gutenberg, but I guess the value-add is that they're already Sony formatted so that's better than nothing.

Would have been nice to get in on that $50 'real' book credit.

I wonder if the Rewards site lets you use your reward points on Connect gift certificates. That would be pretty cool.
Martytoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #231
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have no problem getting into the Connect site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #232
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martytoof View Post
Current promotion is for $100 in free "Classics" I believe. Basically the same books you can get from Gutenberg, but I guess the value-add is that they're already Sony formatted so that's better than nothing.
Actually, it's $199 in free Classics, so 100 books. Twice as many books that you could have gotten free elsewhere!
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #233
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
I wish they'd just tar ball all the classic books into a single download.
You'll contract carpal tunnel syndrome trying to use the Connect interface.
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #234
Ravenflight
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkit View Post
Actually, it's $199 in free Classics, so 100 books. Twice as many books that you could have gotten free elsewhere!
LOL! Well it's too bad I missed out on the 50.00 worth of current titles. But still, an e-ink reader for 58.00 is a fantastic deal- though I think that's the price they're going to need to drop to if they're ever going to see widespread adoption. At least Sony seems to have some concept of basic Gillette marketing philosophy- unless they're just clearing out inventory. Now if they'll just make Connect Mac compatible or add in support for Adobe DE then I'll be able to buy books for it. Till then I'm stuck with the free classics like Tom Sawyer and Harry Potter...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #235
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There's also Fictionwise now. (see here)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #236
Ravenflight
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
There's also Fictionwise now. (see here)
That is very good to know. I am surprised that Fictionwise makes no mention of the lrf format in their Support page. Is there any way to know which multiformat titles will have the lrf file before you buy?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #237
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Give them time, they seem to have just started doing LRFs. I believe they said they were about halfway through their ~16K multiformat texts, so I'm inferring that they plan to do all of them. Only time will really tell, of course.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #238
Ravenflight
Connoisseur

They have Harry Harrison!!!!! In lrf! And it's only 42 cents! Ok I'm sold now.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #239
NatCh
Gizmologist

It's so nice to see happy people.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #240
Ravenflight
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Give them time, they seem to have just started doing LRFs. I believe they said they were about halfway through their ~16K multiformat texts, so I'm inferring that they plan to do all of them. Only time will really tell, of course.
It's true! I just got a reply to my e-mail I sent them a few minutes ago. It says
"Hello,
Fictionwise is uploading new .lrf files every day and will soon have
them available for all our MultiFormat titles."

So I guess I figured out how and where to buy all my Sony Reader titles on my Mac. Now why can't Sony make their CONNECT OS independent? Seems strange that a tiny little company like Fictionwise can do for the Sony Reader what Sony so far has not been able to with their own service for their own device.