Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #2341
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I couldn't buy any more books for an extended period of time
Another weasel line. You realize that right? Yep, I've used that. But I'm reminded that I'm more likely to have issues replacing a worn out reader than running out of ebooks. Too many .99-$1.99 deals.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #2342
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Speaking of those deals, I succumbed to my first real "this is now one of those things we shouldn't do" buy just now - bought a book I'd never heard of before, after three online friends all mentioned they were reading and loving it, and it was $1.99 just now, and it sounded potentially interesting (and not in my usual genres, so good for that "reading some books outside my comfort zone" challenge), so...

Still. It's 23 January and I'm up to eight books bought, only one of which was (just) over $2. So far, I'm still within the limits of my "ten books a month / 120 books a year / definitely spending no more than $50 a month" challenge.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #2343
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You make me feel better. My TBR would only keep me in books for four years or so....
Maybe I should post a couple of photos of the Ent graveyard for you. I've got about 100 books stacked up in five columns as a makeshift table against one wall, and that's just the beginning...

Actually, one side effect of this year's physical reading goal is that I should be able to clear enough books out of one stack (by moving them to storage) to put a different stack (from the aforementioned wall) in its place. That wall is less stable than I'd like, and moving one column to the first location will help fix that.

Like I've said before, it's literary Jenga over here. That's the problem with physical books; if you need to stack 'em, it's hard to balance the heights...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #2344
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Then again, I've always been a ridiculously heavy reader. I don't do much TV, especially in winter when there's no baseball, don't watch movies, and all my gaming is little stuff on the iPad that doesn't take up much time or money.

My 160 or so book TBR pile is at most, a year's worth of reading in a slow year--IF I ever buckled down to reading only those books. Like that'll ever happen!
Sounds familiar, but I do follow political news on TV. No other sports, though.

My annual reading habit's holding pretty steady at 150 books/year, which baffles me sometimes. I mean, right now I'm on my fourth day with a fairly easy book, because I don't get a lot of reading done during the week. Even so, my stats show me that I average less than three days per book. I guess those weekends help more than one would think...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #2345
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If next month's book club choice turns out to be Outlander, I can justify some of my freebees as I already have it for FREE (it was a free book at Amazon in 2010). Yep. A weasel line....
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #2346
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I've been away from the thread for a while and was starting to feel guilty and like I may crack at anytime, but it seems I may have more clickitis that a buying addiction. So far this year I think I have spent $6 between 2 E-mag Subs and 1 discounted book purchase. One the other hand I have acquired 140 or so freebies and have only read one and a half books from my tbr....I also still have at least 4 books in my sights and those are all going to be paid

I have to get on the ball
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #2347
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I've been away from the thread for a while and was starting to feel guilty and like I may crack at anytime, but it seems I may have more clickitis that a buying addiction. So far this year I think I have spent $6 between 2 E-mag Subs and 1 discounted book purchase. One the other hand I have acquired 140 or so freebies and have only read one and a half books from my tbr....I also still have at least 4 books in my sights and those are all going to be paid

I have to get on the ball
It sounds to me like you're doing rather well. Freebies don't count.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #2348
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
One the other hand I have acquired 140 or so freebies and have only read one and a half books from my tbr.
Nothing wrong with acquiring freebees, but if the freebees are preventing you from reading the stuff you paid cold, hard cash with, then you need to think about your spending. Unlike pback freebees, your freebees take up little space. In fact, I have created a separate Calibre library with said freebees so that they don't muck up my main library.

The biggest problem with freebees is that they make using your online cloud library almost impossible to use. Once you get beyond say 500 books, it's scrolling, scrolling, clicking to find something (unless it is a recent purchase). B&N at least allows you to archive stuff. I'm told you can for the Kindle library as well, but I haven't figured out how to do that (if anybody knows, please post instructions!!).

[OT & link - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-25-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #2349
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My TBR pile is now 14 smaller than it was at the start of the year!

OK, that is only because I've put 22 short stories by James Patrick Kelley into one combined volume…..

But it's a better measure, really it is.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #2350
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Nothing wrong with acquiring freebees, but if the freebees are preventing you from reading the stuff you paid cold, hard cash with, then you need to think about your spending. Unlike pback freebees, your freebees take up little space. In fact, I have created a separate Calibre library with said freebees so that they don't muck up my main library.

The biggest problem with freebees is that they make using your online cloud library almost impossible to use. Once you get beyond say 500 books, it's scrolling, scrolling, clicking to find something (unless it is a recent purchase). B&N at least allows you to archive stuff. I'm told you can for the Kindle library as well, but I haven't figured out how to do that (if anybody knows, please post instructions!!).

[OT & link - MODERATOR]

Indeed. I had thousands of freebies in my Kindle for PC, making it take a ridiculous amount of time to load up. So, I deleted most of them out of there. It didn't matter that I deleted them though, since I have them all in Calibre anyway.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #2351
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
My TBR pile is now 14 smaller than it was at the start of the year!

OK, that is only because I've put 22 short stories by James Patrick Kelley into one combined volume…..

But it's a better measure, really it is.
The games we play...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #2352
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've now purchased my tenth book of the month (in my defence, it was a book on my wishlist, that had just been discounted; let us ignore that I only put it on my wishlist a week ago as something that "looked potentially interesting").

Five more days left in the month. Can I do this? No more books bought in January? I'm certainly going to give it a good try; unless more wishlist book deals come up, I'm pretty determined to stay good.

Total spent in January: $19.78. So at least I've avoided any more expensive temptations. February's going to go higher than that as I've several $5-6 pre-ordered books coming in, but on the plus side, I'm going to read them immediately, so they're not going to languish somewhere at the end of the TBR list.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #2353
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh no...it's that time again. A new Star Trek book is coming out. *twitch* Yet another book to add to the "pile". The good news is it's at least a trusted author which I like and I'll read it right away. Do I stay strong or just buy the darn thing?? (Of course I'll buy.)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #2354
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Oh no...it's that time again. A new Star Trek book is coming out. *twitch* Yet another book to add to the "pile". The good news is it's at least a trusted author which I like and I'll read it right away. Do I stay strong or just buy the darn thing?? (Of course I'll buy.)
Well, if you really like Star Trek novels, that's fair enough. Although do see if you can apply any discounts to it.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #2355
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Well, if you really like Star Trek novels, that's fair enough. Although do see if you can apply any discounts to it.
Yes, I do really like them. I need my Star Trek book every month. I can't use the discount codes for it, but that's okay, I don't mind paying full price.