Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #22936
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
We just upgraded our DVD player to a shiny new 3D Blue ray thing that does all kinds of singing and dancing things we won't ever use. That's okay, it has one feature I want and that works fine. But I forgot something, hence the rant.

The older player was multizone. This one isn't. Actually the older one wasn't either but there was a hack I got off the interwebs which did the job. To be specific it was MZ for DVDs but not BlueRay. I totally forgot about this. We used to have issues with availability of DVDs around here in our zone (zone 4) and we'd just buy from Amazon, which always delivered zone 1. No problems, multizone player, shrug. Nowdays we normally buy zone 4 and it isn't a problem. But we do have some older Zone 1 DVDs.

So I pop in our coply of LOTR, the first of the three and get this ugly message that says format not compatible. Huh? Then I realised. It's a zone 1.

The zone thing is just so stupid. I bought the DVD. I bought the player. It ought to just play the damn thing, but people have put in serious work to prevent me doing just that. I'm hoping someone will work out a patch for this new player, there isn't one there yet. But meanwhile we need to have TWO players sitting there. Yeah, I know. First world problem.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #22937
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@ Rog
What you speak of is not multi-zone, but (to be technically accurate) zone-free (rpc1 firmware)
Knowing what you need makes your Google-fu stronger
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #22938
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I just started reading the first in the Jake Lassiter series by Paul Levine, "To Speak For The Dead" on my Kindle PW. The book came from Amazon.

Why in the world is the entire book center-justified?????

I've never seen e-book text formatted like that before. You can hardly tell who is saying what, and there are no paragraphs. Correction. It's all one long paragraph. Extremely weird. Trying to read a book this way sure does hinder the flow of the story and makes it a much slower and frustrating read. I'm tempted to just give it up.

The entire thing center-justified. Really?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #22939
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I just started reading the first in the Jake Lassiter series by Paul Levine, "To Speak For The Dead" on my Kindle PW. The book came from Amazon.

I've never seen e-book text formatted like that before. You can hardly tell who is saying what, and there are no paragraphs. Correction. It's all one long paragraph. Extremely weird. Trying to read a book this way sure does hinder the flow of the story and makes it a much slower and frustrating read. I'm tempted to just give it up.

IMHO, speaking as one who has a company that does this, somebody at his book-maker's shop should have spoken to him, if indeed this was his intent. It must be mind-boggling-awful to try to read on a Kindle/ePUB/whatever. I don't think I'd slog through something with NO paragraphs. That feels..."too cute by half." And center-aligned? Yeeeeeeeesh.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #22940
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am on vacation and my brother won't shut up about Syria.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #22941
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am on vacation and my brother won't shut up about Syria.
media won't shut up about Syria
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #22942
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Threaten to mail him to Syria while he's asleep tonight ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #22943
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Ugh, I get so infuriated when I run into someone who is so sure of themselves that they will openly insult anyone who has a differing point of view.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-01-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #22944
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Ugh, I get so infuriated when I run into someone who is so sure of themselves that they will openly insult anyone who has a differing point of view.
What on earth do you mean? I welcome differing points of view. You must be an ****** [words not typed to avoid personal attacks in forums].

TOTALLY INTENDED AS A JOKE. DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #22945
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Made another appointment with the doctor. Last month I had a rash on my neck and chest and according to him it was sun allergy. Within a week it was gone (though the cream I got didn't work). Not it's back. Not only in my neck but also on the inside of my elbows, around my belly button and underneath my breast and it's driving me crazy.

Since I haven't been in the sun without suncream lately and I don't bear my midriff in the sun I'm convinced it isn't sun allergy. I'm thinking more a reaction to the stress I've had lately in combination with the humid weather. Hopefully now I get something better than cold cream and I can get a full night's rest!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #22946
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Made another appointment with the doctor. Last month I had a rash on my neck and chest . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . I'm thinking more a reaction to the stress I've had lately in combination with the humid weather. Hopefully now I get something better than cold cream and I can get a full night's rest!
The naturopaths and doctors here see it a lot with people who are stressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post

. . . . . . . . .

You can get a refund from Amazon. We get a few returns every month with our books. People buy them and change their mind. The books with no DRM are the main ones that get returned.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #22947
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Since last week, pieces of the dishwasher were all over the kitchen (my doing).
Yesterday evening, I put everything back together and now it's test time: 1. will it leak on the floor because something isn't tightened as it should be? 2. will the issue (water remaining in the bottom) that prompted all of this be gone?
Fingers crossed
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #22948
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Yesterday evening, I put everything back together and now it's test time: 1. will it leak on the floor because something isn't tightened as it should be? 2. will the issue (water remaining in the bottom) that prompted all of this be gone?
Fingers crossed
Good luck. I hate plumbing of any kind, as something always seems to leak after I've finished.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #22949
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Fingers crossed
Oh! what's this extra screw for?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #22950
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Made another appointment with the doctor. Last month I had a rash on my neck and chest and according to him it was sun allergy. Within a week it was gone (though the cream I got didn't work). Not it's back. Not only in my neck but also on the inside of my elbows, around my belly button and underneath my breast and it's driving me crazy.

Since I haven't been in the sun without suncream lately and I don't bear my midriff in the sun I'm convinced it isn't sun allergy. I'm thinking more a reaction to the stress I've had lately in combination with the humid weather. Hopefully now I get something better than cold cream and I can get a full night's rest!
Ask about Exzema
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness