Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #22906
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Four days a week, I volunteer as a Meals on Wheels driver. Last week and this week the regular coordinator is on holiday, and has been replaced by another woman from the office.

Today I get to the kitchen about 5 minutes before the meals are meant to be ready, along with one of the other two drivers picking up from this location.

Maybe 20 minutes later (ie 15 minutes after the meals were meant to be ready), the door slides open and we're given the meals. Only thing is, I can see that not all the meals I am meant to be picking up are there; and the 3rd driver has yet to arrive.

I call the office, and the coordinator is not there. I manage to get through to someone who is familiar with the way it works, and manage to get the list of meals for the missing driver. Reviewing the combined lists I see we're short 3 diabetic meals, 2 soft means, and have 2 extra regular meals.

The other driver who was there, gets all his meals properly and is able to leave.

Luckily the extra regular meals are suitable for a soft diet, so they quickly get converted to soft. Of course, the kitchen is out of vegetables at this point, so need to wait 15 minutes for those to cook.

During this time the missing driver arrives, and is certain all her meals are there. I let her know that no, she does not have 8 meals as she thought but 10. Of course, she hasn't bothered to print her list and has it on her cell phone. Where is her cell phone? Outside in her car!

She heads back to get her list and gets back just at the vegetables and the diabetic meals are ready. Looking at her list I understand her confusion; while there are 10 meals listed in it, they did not bother to up the summary count from 8 to 10!

We both manage to leave (about 45 minutes behind schedule).

I get to my first stop and discover that the lids on some of the desserts (chocolate pudding) have come loose, and that my bag with the desserts in is now swimming in chocolate pudding

I proceed to the deliveries and the upset seniors who are getting their meals quite late.

Just as I've made the penultimate stop and am on route to the final stop my cell phone rings. I pull over and answer it; it's the coordinator for another program I volunteer for, one that drives patients home from hospital visits. Could I do a 2:30 pm pickup? (It's 1:45pm right now). I agree, then check to make sure a wheel chair accessible vehicle is ready (which luckily, it is).

Head off; do the final drop-off, pick up the paper work; pickup the wheel chair van; pick up my co-worker and head off to the hospital. Leave there by about 3:20 pm and drive the patient to her retirement home. I then sit and wait in the vehicle for about an hour and a quarter for the retirement home to send a nurse to complete the check-in process!

Finally make it home around 5:30 pm.

Sigh...

Now just have to remember to clean the food bags of chocolate pudding before tomorrows run!

It's people like you who help to keep the world turning peacefully.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #22907
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Thanks for all the positive feedback folks I seriously was not posting for that, just for a mild rand over how the day had gone.

Seriously thought, any of you who have some free time on a regular basis, should look into the needs within your community for opportunities like this. It is a very rewarding and uplifting to do.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #22908
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
God BLESS you!
Agreed!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #22909
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
There is 'Meals on Wheels' in Chiang Mai, but it is a paid restaurant delivery service. They will pick up from almost any restaurant or market in the city and deliver to the home for a very nominal charge. Inside the city walls it's about a dollar charge. Where I live, about 1.5 kilometer from the wall it's about $1.50

Unfortunately, there are very few services for senior citizens in Asia... but that's changing quickly.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #22910
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Come now, Peter. Thailand is in the Far East; you can't go much farther east than eastern Scarborough, so what's the problem?

Posted from a basement that looks up, way up, at the CN Tower...
Why is it closer to go west to get to the Far East?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #22911
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Why is it closer to go west to get to the Far East?
That's where the computer screen ends, and your cursor wraps around to the other side. It's an instantaneous jump, so it's faster that way.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #22912
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
That's where the computer screen ends, and your cursor wraps around to the other side. It's an instantaneous jump, so it's faster that way.
Naw, mine goes to the next screen over; hmmmm... maybe that's the far east screen.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #22913
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Quote:
Naw, mine goes to the next screen over; hmmmm... maybe that's the far east screen.
I was only halfway kidding. That's the visual equivalent of what we do, when we lay a round world out on a flat map. With a page edge that doesn't exist on the round world.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #22914
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I seem to recall there was a time some mouse drivers had an option to wrap from the right hand side to left hand side of the monitor.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #22915
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
How the hell did Thursday get here so fast? It seems somebody should be held accountable. Is there someone I can see about that?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #22916
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
How the hell did Thursday get here so fast? It seems somebody should be held accountable. Is there someone I can see about that?
Think of it as Wednesday, part II.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #22917
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm sorry ... the appropriate office for calendar complaints is closed on Thursdays ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #22918
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm sorry ... the appropriate office for calendar complaints is closed on Thursdays ...
Isn't the person in charge of that office Helen Wait?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #22919
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Large cans of "Pork 'n' Beans" work.
How long was that critter? It measures about 15cm on my screen but I might not have the res right. We get them that long here in NZ, and actually in our house. I have a catch and release policy but there's no way I'll handle these things. Gotta use a bucket etc.

Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #22920
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
God BLESS you!
How do I plus 1 on this? Oh...
Well +1 anyway.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness