Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, given the topic of this thread, the weak link is Stanza. Get rid of it and you'll have a better solution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #212
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Hi guys:
I found this great thread the other day and now I registered to participate in the community.

I have one question though (actually a lot of questions but now I remember this one as essential).

For reading in a iPod Touch 2G 8GB (for the matter any iphone o iPod I guess), is it better for battery consumption white text on black background or the normal "iBooks" black letters and white backgrund?

Or maybe is the same and depends only in the bright?

Thanks
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #213
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you're not going to save any significant amount of power with white on black or black on white text. LCD crystals have to flip one way or the other. brightness will affect battery life though.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #214
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, given the topic of this thread, the weak link is Stanza. Get rid of it and you'll have a better solution.
And replace it with what? For better or worse, Stanza is the best ebook reader on iDevices.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #215
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
And replace it with what? For better or worse, Stanza is the best ebook reader on iDevices.
ibooks seems to work very well for me. goodreader is excellent for PDF files.. there are plenty of options besides Stanza.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #216
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
ibooks seems to work very well for me. goodreader is excellent for PDF files.. there are plenty of options besides Stanza.
iBooks wastes too much space for my tastes, doesn't support a light-on-dark reading scheme, has poor font choices, no hyphenation, etc. Stanza has its problems as well, but at least for me they're less bad than iBooks'.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #217
Paco
Paco began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
you're not going to save any significant amount of power with white on black or black on white text. LCD crystals have to flip one way or the other. brightness will affect battery life though.
thanks I read AMOLED screen are affected by this black or white and consumption though, off course is another technology.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #218
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Of all the readers I've tried, I prefer Stanza as well. Being able to read amber text on a black background is very comfortable for me at night.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #219
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just to note, if you want to use a dark background with other readers, you may be able to achieve it by adding the following to extra css in calibre before converting the file:

Code:
body { background-color: black; color: white}
Whether it works or not will depend on whether the file your are converting defines its own colors or not and whether the reader you are using respects the CSS.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #220
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
iBooks wastes too much space for my tastes, doesn't support a light-on-dark reading scheme, has poor font choices, no hyphenation, etc. Stanza has its problems as well, but at least for me they're less bad than iBooks'.
I agree. Hate the HUGE margins on iBooks... and you can't change them. I still use iBooks some, but my go to reader is Stanza....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #221
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Please forgive me all, this is a little bit OT - but Scott referencing GoodReader made me think of it (yet again). I've searched in the forums for the answer, but can't seem to pull it.

Every time I use GoodReader, I am frustrated by the lack of brightness controls - in app - am I missing something obvious? I just can't find it! There is a "button" on-screen which dims the screen, however it seems to have only two settings.

There has to be a better way... Scott? Anyone?

Thanks,
-- Rique
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #222
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
Every time I use GoodReader, I am frustrated by the lack of brightness controls - in app - am I missing something obvious? I just can't find it! There is a "button" on-screen which dims the screen, however it seems to have only two settings.

There has to be a better way... Scott? Anyone?
Jailbreak, install sbsetting from Cydia, and you're good to go
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #223
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
Jailbreak, install sbsetting from Cydia, and you're good to go
Waiting for 4.x before I even consider a jailbreak - thanks for the reply!
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #224
jaybee
Enthusiast
jaybee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Touch PRS-500
Light-on-dark reading scheme is easy

Go to the settings page. That's the icon with gears on it. Tap "general" then "accessibility." You can select "white on black" to invert all colors on the screen, including, of course, the pages in any reader. This is a little cumbersome to do each time you read, but there is a shortcut. Still on the "accessibility" page, go to "triple click home." You can set this to toggle white on black. Then just triple-click the home button to reverse the colors or to cancel and go back to standard colors.

By the way, I'm very happy with iBooks.

(Sorry, I just read the title of this thread and see it refers to the iPhone. My comments refer to the iPad. I'm leaving them in case they may be of use to anyone--the process is a little obscure, but is very useful to me.)

Last edited by jaybee; 08-06-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Clarity
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #225
toddos
Guru

The accessibility "invert all colors" is a hack, not a proper white-on-black reading method and not something that should be promoted. It inverts everything, so I hope you like your iphone/ipad/ipod looking like a film negative.