Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2023, 08:30 PM   #211
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How did you manage to get the key extracted?
I already had it running with the older version of Kindle for Android. I just updated it to the newer version and when I launched it the app will still registered and using the same DRM key.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:49 PM   #212
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I do plan on updating it again to support Kindle for Android within the next day or two. But adding a CLI to the plugin is more work than I am willing to do for a feature I don’t have any use for.
I have it updated for Kindle for Android, so all you need is the CLI interface. so all you need to do is nothing.
Quote:
I already had it running with the older version of Kindle for Android. I just updated it to the newer version and when I launched it the app will still registered and using the same DRM key.
I see. On a fresh install BSTweaker works great as I didn't want to ruin my working VM.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 03-11-2023 at 09:09 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2023, 09:22 PM   #213
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I have it updated for Kindle for Android, so all you need is the CLI interface. so all you need to do is nothing.
Thanks.

Quote:
I see. On a fresh install BSTweaker works great as I didn't want to ruin my working VM.
The BlueStacks Multi-Instance Manager can clone a virtual machine. That allows you to make a backup in case something goes wrong with a future change.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:07 PM   #214
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The BlueStacks Multi-Instance Manager can clone a virtual machine. That allows you to make a backup in case something goes wrong with a future change.
That is an excellent point, I will incorporate this in a mini howto I am working on right now.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:11 PM   #215
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Very interesting.

Do you both use the kindle app version 4.16?
The book worked for me using Bluestacks & K4A 4.16 and using Download and Transfer via USB from Amazon's web page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2023, 10:24 PM   #216
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Workaround to get high resolution image downloads. This is an anomaly with Bluestacks that refuses KFX downloads, for now at least. So I suggest you keep a Bluestacks version that has the old 4.16 app which does not support KFX. To get high res do this:
  1. Create a new Nougat VM with the Bluestacks multi-instance manager. (alternatively you can clone your working Kindle 4.16 VM, then skip #2)
  2. Follow the instructions in first post to install, login, and backup the Kindle for Android version 4.16.
  3. Download Kindle for Android version 8.51.1.0 (oldversion doesn't have it, I used apkpure Kindle for Android version 8.51.1.0 - the arm64-v8a will only work for 64bit Bluestacks and the armeabi-v7a will work for 32bit and 64bit Bluestacks)
  4. Install the downloaded APK - if using adb, you need to use "adb install -r XYZ.apk" to update existing app, the builtin APK installer in Bluestacks does that automatically.
  5. download and install the AZW6 Image Merge into calibre
  6. delete and redownload books that have previously been downloaded with the Kindle 4.16 version, e.g. if you cloned your instance
  7. for each book extract the .prc and .ast file (the quick and dirty way is to use "adb pull /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files" - then traverse the files folder and drag and drop the .prc files into calibre)

This will NOT work on Android Emulator or on a Nexus7 tablet, it probably won't work anywhere else than Bluestacks.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 04-15-2023 at 04:33 PM. Reason: fixed small typo
Old 03-11-2023, 10:28 PM   #217
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The book worked for me using Bluestacks & K4A 4.16 and using Download and Transfer via USB from Amazon's web page.
I don't see the option for Download and Transfer via USB for my Bluestacks installation, only for real eink devices.

ETA: oops, you meant you could make it work for both Bluestacks and for downloading to an eink Kindle via Download and Transfer via USB.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 03-11-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:35 PM   #218
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ETA: oops, you meant you could make it work for both Bluestacks and for downloading to an eink Kindle via Download and Transfer via USB.
Exactly.

It was also nice to see that Amazon has updated the error message when trying to download a newer ebook using K4PC.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-11-2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:34 PM   #219
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Updated the original post with high-res image information.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:45 PM   #220
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Tried the clone and update K4A and added the AZW6 Image Merge plugin to calibre and I ended up with a 2400x3667 pixel cover image though the other 32 images stayed the same size.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:51 PM   #221
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Tried the clone and update K4A and added the AZW6 Image Merge plugin to calibre and I ended up with a 2400x3667 pixel cover image though the other 32 images stayed the same size.
Not all books have high res images. I have successfully gotten a 38mb merged azw3 file (normal download and transfer is 2.2mb) out of this book, for example. It is in KU, but I got it as First Reads purchase.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:59 PM   #222
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Not all books have high res images. I have successfully gotten a 38mb merged azw3 file (normal download and transfer is 2.2mb) out of this book, for example. It is in KU, but I got it as First Reads purchase.
I was impressed enough by the cover image since the download without the AZW6 merger had a 800x1223 pixel cover image. Admittedly, I promptly shrank it since I really couldn't see a good reason for having an image that size on an ereader being displayed at 1440x1920 in glorious 4 bit greyscale.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:09 AM   #223
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I wonder if enough high-res images can make an eReader crash. My Kobos have trouble with the Internet Archive's multi-layer PDF scans.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:10 AM   #224
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I was impressed enough by the cover image since the download without the AZW6 merger had a 800x1223 pixel cover image. Admittedly, I promptly shrank it since I really couldn't see a good reason for having an image that size on an ereader being displayed at 1440x1920 in glorious 4 bit greyscale.
You will still benefit from a lot less jpeg artifacts, even if you end up downsizing the cover again. The downsizing with very high compression butchering of images by Amazon is quite impressive. And not in a good way.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:13 AM   #225
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I wonder if enough high-res images can make an eReader crash. My Kobos have trouble with the Internet Archive's multi-layer PDF scans.
Kindles are pretty robust. I created a 400+mb KFX comic out of a 1000 page PDF, and it displays faster than the PDF renderer on my Oasis3. It is more stable than the KFX print replica renderer that would crash every 10-15 pages. The comic and PDF never crashed.