Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2023, 07:09 PM   #211
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Between this and my "checking for updates..." problem, I wonder if anybody got the battery issues with wifi disabled? If the sync got stuck running in the background that may be why battery suddenly goes dead.
No battery issues here, wifi and sync always off. Firmware 4.34.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:39 PM   #212
Burblebup
Enthusiast
Burblebup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
4.35 UPDATE: I haven't had the battery issue again on my Sage, so it seems to have been an isolated incident. I haven't had any more freezes, either, so stability seems to have improved somewhat compared with a week ago, although I get the impression that loading books and menu pages is not as smooth as before. It just feels clunkier, somehow. On the plus side, the battery life seems to have improved a bit, perhaps due to the fix on refreshes. This might be my imagination, though. At least I can't remember when I last charged it (maybe two weeks ago???), and it is on 46% after daily use.
Burblebup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2023, 02:45 AM   #213
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Between this and my "checking for updates..." problem, I wonder if anybody got the battery issues with wifi disabled? If the sync got stuck running in the background that may be why battery suddenly goes dead.

Is wifi enabled? I notice that Kobo usually runs a sync after I disconnect from computer.
No, wifi is only ever turned on for the brief times I want to force a sync. Doing this (turning wifi on briefly, syncing, then turning wifi off) does not cause the battery problem.

It's only after you have plugged it into a computer via USB and you see that pop up asking if you want to connect. Note, you don't actually need to connect. I have a charging device that the kobo thinks is computer (but it's actually just a bedroom clock), and using this can cause subsequent battery problems. I make sure to use a separate dumb charger now.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #214
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
An update on my battery drain issue. It doesn't appear to be an issue with this firmware. I reverted to 4.34 four days ago, and just last night I was oh so happy that the old firmware fixed the battery drain. This morning, the Forma was shut down with an empty battery (I'd put it to sleep last night at 40% charge). Sigh.

I'm going to do a full, manual factory reset to make sure it's not an issue with the database.

EDIT: Could be (probably is) coincidence, but yesterday was the first time I'd plugged my Forma into my computer and side-loaded a book since reverting. Also, I turned Automatic Updates off, but left wifi on.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 01-13-2023 at 11:14 AM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:24 AM   #215
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I may have missed your previous posts, but tested with wifi off entirely? If not, I suspect it might be getting stuck running.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2023, 12:23 PM   #216
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wifi getting stuck is certainly a possibility. But, I've got to wonder why it's popping up on my Forma now (after 1-1/2 years without problem)? I'll try turning it off (it's a lot easier than re-sideloading) and see what happens. I wish there were a log somewhere that I could look at to see what the Forma thinks it's been doing.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:00 PM   #217
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
EDIT: Could be (probably is) coincidence, but yesterday was the first time I'd plugged my Forma into my computer and side-loaded a book since reverting. Also, I turned Automatic Updates off, but left wifi on.
This would verify my theory that it is caused by any attempted USB connection to a computer device. Only a reboot seems to cure it.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:49 PM   #218
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocketbook, kobo aura h2o, kobo forma, kobo libra color
Quote:
Wifi getting stuck is certainly a possibility. But, I've got to wonder why it's popping up on my Forma now (after 1-1/2 years without problem)? I'll try turning it off (it's a lot easier than re-sideloading) and see what happens. I wish there were a log somewhere that I could look at to see what the Forma thinks it's been doing.
I think even if you have auto sync off, if wifi is on, it tries to sync occasionally. Sometimes it works, sometimes it gets stuck. It depends on network conditions, how big your database is, if your database is corrupt, and kobo's servers. Any one of those things can trigger it, and usually several in concert.

USB side loading doesn't cause this, but if side loading corrupts your database (and I'm not convinced that bug is totally fixed), it could appear to cause it.

I recently found a super fast way to reset the database. Just delete it, then reboot. It will go through the regular factory reset stuff (deleting settings, dictionaries, and screensavers and downloaded stuff) but keep all your side-loaded books, and after logging in, it repopulates from those pretty quickly.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:23 AM   #219
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post

USB side loading doesn't cause this, but if side loading corrupts your database (and I'm not convinced that bug is totally fixed), it could appear to cause it.

The problem caused by using the USB connection to a computer, that subsequently causes battery depletion, has nothing to do with database corruption.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #220
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Oddly enough, I haven't received the newly-rereleased firmware over wifi a second time. Anybody else downgraded and found this?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:47 PM   #221
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Oddly enough, I haven't received the newly-rereleased firmware over wifi a second time. Anybody else downgraded and found this?
Between the point I reverted to 4.34 and when I turned off my wifi, several days passed. I, too, did not get the expected automatic update back to 4.35.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:18 PM   #222
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Also, I just finished a full manual, factory reset of my Forma (Press and hold the power button until you see a black 'Powered off' screen, press and hold one of the page turn buttons, while holding the page turn button, press and hold the power button, wait until the screen flashes and starts the reset process). Afterwards, I was way back on an old version (as expected). I synced, it found that latest update and updated. It's at 4.34, not 4.35. Telling it to check for updates finds nothing. So, they yanked the latest firmware again(-ish)?
Old 01-15-2023, 06:35 PM   #223
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocketbook, kobo aura h2o, kobo forma, kobo libra color
Quote:
So, they yanked the latest firmware again(-ish)?
It's probably just the regular slow phased roll out.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:00 PM   #224
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Could be. I didn't get it last time I synced recently.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:41 PM   #225
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Quite possibly. I got it when I synced, but I'd never previously updated from 4.34.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release