Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2022, 09:13 PM   #211
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The weird issue with my scan & fix ones is that the notification tends to disappear before I can actually click on it. So I couldn't actually run the suggested scan & fix. A manual chkdsk always came up clean.
The warning going away is how Windows handles it. If you don't click on it in a few seconds, Windows assumes you don't want to do anything. And not finding errors is pretty normal. All Windows is doing is seeing that the dirty flag in the filesystem is set. Which just says that the dirty flag wasn't cleared after the last write, not that there is definitely a problem. It is more Windows being cautious than a real expectation of a problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:18 PM   #212
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I had my first freeze (while I was on a flight, so that sucked). I've also been having problems where when I exit a kepub (to the Home screen for instance) and reopened the book, Nickel would forget where I was. Instead of opening to chapter 20, it would open to chapter 9 or chapter 13.

When it froze, eventually it restarted. Since then it seems to be okay. No more freezes and in my limited use since then, it remembers my chapter.

And hello from sunny Long Beach, California!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2022, 11:29 PM   #213
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've also been having problems where when I exit a kepub (to the Home screen for instance) and reopened the book, Nickel would forget where I was. Instead of opening to chapter 20, it would open to chapter 9 or chapter 13.
Yes, that's happened to me too. Rebooting the device fixed it thankfully.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:58 AM   #214
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
None of that has anything to do with the device. It is all happening in calibre. If you are getting that title when you do a "Save to disk" (though while you said "saved to disk", I suspect you are either talking about the "Send to device" or what calibre uses internally) then either that is what the title in the library is, or, you have a template that sets the file name as that (for the save-to-disk and send-to-device).
First I "Save to disk" from my permanent library onto a usb flash drive so that I can import it into my temporary library (on a different computer) using "Add books." Then, when I'm finished fixing the epub in my temporary library, I again "Save to disk" from the temporary library so that I can put it back into my permanent library (on the original computer) using "Add books" and set to overwrite duplicates. This has always worked flawlessly for as long as I've been using Calibre (since 2011 or thereabouts). Anyway, after I created a new permanent library and copied all my epubs to it, that problem appears to be solved. Many of the books on the reader were loaded before I noticed the problem, so I suspect the metadata on the ereader didn't match the metadata in Calibre, and it created a big mess.

At this point, I am only seeing what many other people are seeing, which is the dirty filesystem message, and once in a while a reboot after I eject the reader. As long as I don't have to start from "Select your language" and reinstall everything from scratch, I can live with it until somebody figures out what is going on.

Last edited by icallaci; 02-02-2022 at 08:20 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:55 AM   #215
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those running 4.31, I suggest setting up Kobo Utilities to backup the database when you plug in the Kobo to the computer running Calibre. This way if the database does become corrupt you can restore from a fairly recent backup.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #216
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Yes, that's happened to me too. Rebooting the device fixed it thankfully.
Forgetting place sounds like database corruption. If rebooting fixed it, then it was probably corruption in memory only. Maybe bad ram? idunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those running 4.31, I suggest setting up Kobo Utilities to backup the database when you plug in the Kobo to the computer running Calibre.
Not a bad idea, but I've been running 4.31 for a while now (since it auto-updated) and I've not had any problems (other than needing to update NickelMenu). My usage results in a high churn in the database, so if there was a problem with this firmware corrupting the database, I should have seen it by now.

If there is a problem, I think it is either a specific patch or a specific non-kepub format or something very narrow causing it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #217
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Well, I got the dreaded "scan and fix" error when I connect my Elipsa to the computer this morning, but I ignored it and everything seemed to be ok until I ejected the reader. My Elipsa rebooted itself, but at least it didn't want me to start from scratch and reinstall everything. So, something is definitely wrong, but the "database malformed" error didn't occur, so I consider that progress.

I don’t know if I’m missing something, but why is this “dreaded”? Windows does this when you connect any sort of external hard drive type device to it. It’s normal. I just close the window. I don’t want it to scan and I know there’s nothing wrong with it. Close that window and get to doing what I wanted to do when connecting it to my PC, just put books on it. *shrugs*
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #218
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Forgetting place sounds like database corruption. If rebooting fixed it, then it was probably corruption in memory only. Maybe bad ram? idunno.

Not a bad idea, but I've been running 4.31 for a while now (since it auto-updated) and I've not had any problems (other than needing to update NickelMenu). My usage results in a high churn in the database, so if there was a problem with this firmware corrupting the database, I should have seen it by now.

If there is a problem, I think it is either a specific patch or a specific non-kepub format or something very narrow causing it.
I've backed up the database for years. I've never needed to restore it. But I have it if I ever need it. I'm just trying to be safe. I think it's a good idea to do this regardless of what firmware is being run.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #219
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I don’t know if I’m missing something, but why is this “dreaded”? Windows does this when you connect any sort of external hard drive type device to it. It’s normal. I just close the window. I don’t want it to scan and I know there’s nothing wrong with it. Close that window and get to doing what I wanted to do when connecting it to my PC, just put books on it. *shrugs*
It isn't normal for me. I don't recall it doing for any devices except Kobos. Not my iphone, multiple external hard drives, dvd writer, sd cards, thumbdrives, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:44 PM   #220
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Sorry, but that's just wrong. Windows does not ask to scan your drive every time you plug one into the computer. I've never had Windows ask to scan my Kobo and I've had a Kobo for not long over six years.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:49 PM   #221
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Sorry, but that's just wrong. Windows does not ask to scan your drive every time you plug one into the computer. I've never had Windows ask to scan my Kobo and I've had a Kobo for not long over six years.
Not every drive, but it has asked to scan every Kobo I've plugged in, and I've had three.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #222
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not every drive, but it has asked to scan every Kobo I've plugged in, and I've had three.
But how often have you been asked to scan? That's the real question.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:44 PM   #223
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
But how often have you been asked to scan? That's the real question.
Well, I haven't counted, but quite often. Possibly every time, but I'm not sure, because I don't connect my Kobos to my computers very often (I charge them with a wall charger most of the time).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:45 PM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, I haven't counted, but quite often. Possibly every time, but I'm not sure, because I don't connect my Kobos to my computers very often (I charge them with a wall charger most of the time).
That's not my finding. Granted, it's mostly with the original H2O mostly. And so far not with the Libra 2.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #225
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
With my Forma, I would say the majority of the time Windows says something is wrong, asks me if I want to scan, and if I scan it says nothing wrong was found.

I believe it is firmware/device dependent, as I would get the message much less often on my Glo HD.

Last edited by John F; 02-02-2022 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added Glo HD
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release