Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #211
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Not Palgrave's Golden Treasury?
(which is available at PG).
If it supposedly contains a poem titled "Flanders Fields" then it would be too old.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #212
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Famous poetry anthology. Well, famous enough to be in a pocket sized edition at Waldenbooks ten years ago, anyway...

Had all my favorite poems in it: Patterns, Flanders Fields, Annabelle Lee...

I've Googled 'Poetry anthologies' til my fingers are sore and can't find it. All I remember is it was somebody's treasury of poems (and I don't remember if that was the actual title, either - but I Googled that too with no luck).

Any help appreciated...
Is it One Hundred and One Famous Poems? I uploaded that one to MobileRead last year.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38727
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #213
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Not Palgrave's Golden Treasury?
(which is available at PG).
No, but other than it being too old for Flander's Fields, it's close, Patricia, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Is it One Hundred and One Famous Poems? I uploaded that one to MobileRead last year.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38727
Thanks BenG; I snagged this one, thank you! It doesn't have all of them but it has most of them!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #214
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This one perhaps? The New Golden Treasury of English Verse
Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #215
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is just maddening! I can "see" the book cover in my head, all except the darn title! I keep thinking it was someone's best loved, or treasury, or something like that. Random House rings a faint bell, but I can't find anything from them except a children's collection.
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #216
Ea
Wizard

Here's a few more covers:
http://www.librarything.com/work/402535/covers/
Old 03-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #217
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
This is just maddening! I can "see" the book cover in my head, all except the darn title! I keep thinking it was someone's best loved, or treasury, or something like that. Random House rings a faint bell, but I can't find anything from them except a children's collection.
The Oxford book of English verse, 1250-1918, chosen and edited by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch

This one? [The one Rumpole carried around?]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #218
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could it have been Garrison Keillor's anthology, Good Poems?

Louis Untermeyer also edited a bunch of anthologies.

Last edited by BenG; 03-14-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #219
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Google suggests: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Antholo.../dp/0393968200 it has those three in, plus shedloads more
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #220
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I have several Norton anthologies in paperback. I love them! But they are certainly not pocket sized. If they were, I might not have an ebook reader now.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #221
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

This was a brown cover, hardback (imitation leather?) with gold printing. It was pocket sized, not mini, but small - and fairly thick. I picked it up at a Waldenbooks about ten years or so ago. It had sections - limericks, patriotic, home, etc.

From the recommendations here, I've found anthologies that covered everything that was in it, I think (y'all are amazing, and thanks to everyone!).
Old 03-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #222
mataba nkosi
mataba nkosi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb life sweet and short

Heya guys,

I just read a very unique short story, strange and unique but yet i liked the story, the beginning was a bit strange.

You can download the book for free on line, it seems the book isnt for sale. The author gives it away for free.

i would love to know other peoples thoughts on the book.

download it from www.whylivethislife.com
mataba nkosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #223
BenG
Home Guard

I remember reading a short story back in the 60s in an anthology my older brother had. It was about a man who traveled back in time trying to change history. He killed a lot of famous people including his own ancestors but nothing seemed to change except
Spoiler:
that he began to fade and it became harder and harder to get people to notice him.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #224
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Looking for the name of a sci fi book I read long ago.
Time travel is being monitored by a special agency and going through ages is done by an elevator. Some of the floors on the elevators are blocked and noone knows why.
The protagonist is an engineer - making changes where needed to avoid disasters. Then he meets a girl and makes a drastic change in time line that brings problems...
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #225
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The End of Eternity by Issac Asimov
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths