Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #211
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Methinks they are secure from myriads of potential new customers now.

In other words: if the ask for a $h!tstorm give them their harvest.
Yep. We can't let them get away with this or others could follow like Kobo going all kepub again.

What's really hilarious is Amazon is introducing a feature to share accounts. Yes that's right we will be able to link accounts sharing content including Prime benefits on all 2014 Kindle devices.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #212
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What's really hilarious is Amazon is introducing a feature to share accounts. Yes that's right we will be able to link accounts sharing content including Prime benefits on all 2014 Kindle devices.
I don't know how long Amazon thinks it can get away with adding user benefits instead of taking them away like they're supposed to be doing.

It's no excuse, of course (especially for the stealth implementation); but part of me wonders if B&N's hand wasn't forced by publishers in this regard. And rather than trying to explain to those idiots how easily these new "security" measures could be circumvented (since all present devices still NEED to be able to download the files--hence the reason for only removing the download links, and not the actual files being served), they chose to make the token effort to appease them.

They'd need to push firmware updates to all Nooks if they wanted to change the location or download method for those files. Not to say that they couldn't very well be heading down that path eventually, but... man! I just can't imagine anyone thinking this stealth-move made sense.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #213
rjbooks
rjbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
There's an install button in the upper right. Or just swap userscripts-mirror for userscripts for the link:
http://userscripts-mirror.org/script...152985.user.js
Thank you, it's installed and working.
rjbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #214
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Well the move is consistent with the brand recognition they started last year.

Both Amazon and Apple are moving to allow family sharing and from what I understand the way they are restricting how large a 'family' would be is by making them share a credit card. Ironically this is what B&N was already doing.

This sounds all to similar to the new Adobe DRM, right down to the 'security' reason. I suspect that one or more of the major publishers are cracking the whip on DRM that has known exploits and B&N management isn't smart enough to tell them that their buggy whip is obsolete.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #215
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't know how long Amazon thinks it can get away with adding user benefits instead of taking them away like they're supposed to be doing.

It's no excuse, of course (especially for the stealth implementation); but part of me wonders if B&N's hand wasn't forced by publishers in this regard. And rather than trying to explain to those idiots how easily these new "security" measures could be circumvented (since all present devices still NEED to be able to download the files--hence the reason for only removing the download links, and not the actual files being served), they chose to make the token effort to appease them.

They'd need to push firmware updates to all Nooks if they wanted to change the location or download method for those files. Not to say that they couldn't very well be heading down that path eventually, but... man! I just can't imagine anyone thinking this stealth-move made sense.
I was wondering (without any actual evidence, of course) if they might be trying to impress some investors as a way of selling off the Nook part of the business. As in, "See? It's more secure, now, so your money will be safe."
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #216
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I chatted support and said I don't have wi-fi so I no longer can access my books. Not really true as I do have wi-fi and already have them all alfed, but still there have to be people in that situation. Their solution was for me to drive to a B&N store whenever I want to add a book to my nook and use their wi-fi.

Even if they reverse this policy I will never, ever buy an ebook from B&N again since I don't trust them to not remove access to "my" book.

Last edited by Marcy; 09-21-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #217
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

I also think it was the publishers pushing them to do this.

I wonder how many people who buy at B&N don't own a Nook? Those people won't be buying at B&N anymore if it's made difficult for them. I wouldn't think they can afford to lose any customers even if it's not a large number.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #218
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's not point the finger at publishers without knowing all the facts. It's wrong to let B&N off the hook and try to justify why they did it. If I had a finger to point at someone other than them it would be Microsoft not the publishers but I truly believe this is a in house decision to try and stop sharing which is just silly and move to a cloud only system. I bet soon you will have to be online to read books through their apps.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #219
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Let's not point the finger at publishers without knowing all the facts. It's wrong to let B&N off the hook and try to justify why they did it. If I had a finger to point at someone other than them it would be Microsoft not the publishers but I truly believe this is a in house decision to try and stop sharing which is just silly and move to a cloud only system. I bet soon you will have to be online to read books through their apps.
I agree. Even if it should turn out to be a decision by the publishers B&N aren't lily white on the deal as they could have posted something to let their customers know what was coming up. A business depends on its customers and anything that causes customers to go elsewhere is something that a business should avoid.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #220
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Let's not point the finger at publishers without knowing all the facts. It's wrong to let B&N off the hook and try to justify why they did it.
That's why I started with; "It's no excuse, of course, but..."

Quote:
If I had a finger to point at someone other than them it would be Microsoft not the publishers
I don't quite follow. If you mean because their server platform is Microsoft, that doesn't really make sense. The files are still there and accessible. Just as vulnerable to any perceived "security" risk as they ever were.

As I said, I've no intention of trying to absolve B&N of any wrong-doing, but we know that some publishers are pushing for stricter DRM and tighter control. It's not much of leap at all to think they might have a bit of a hand in this.

But fear not! I've posted my objections to their tactics (as well as my good-byes) on Nook's FB page and Twitter accounts. I wouldn't think to discourage anyone from doing the same.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #221
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Well put. I think that, given their history of bad decisions, there is no reason to look any further than their management. If any others were involved, it will no doubt come out in due course.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #222
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I agree. Even if it should turn out to be a decision by the publishers B&N aren't lily white on the deal as they could have posted something to let their customers know what was coming up. A business depends on its customers and anything that causes customers to go elsewhere is something that a business should avoid.
I remember when Harlequin converted to strictly epub. We was given a advance notice to download our books as before a deadline as some books may not change over. B&N did none of this they just stripped us of access without any warning. Even books stores that closed on us most gave us fair warning. I have a feeling when they do close it will be without any advance notice and millions will lose their books.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #223
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I just downloaded Kobo Desktop to see if I could get my kepub book and convert to epub. Syncing showed 147 titles. Good except they aren't in the Kobo folder. A search party was sent out and activity was discovered in the AppData folder (never a good sign) and there were my books wrapped up in 147 SQlite databases. Essentially useless.

When Kobo/Rakuten said my book was only available on a Kobo device or Android/iOS app, they meant it.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #224
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I just downloaded Kobo Desktop
Which version? I'm at 3.8.0 on WinXP which does not have the \AppData\ tree structure of your OS (I presume Win7). But I see a bunch of entries in

\Local Settings\Application Data\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

not updated since June. It seems familiar to what you have found. But [deleted] works with this reality, IIRC. It trawls the SQLlite db and displays (and numbers) found titles.

I only ask because Kobo is kind of diligent with forced desktop upgrades but I have a firewall which informs me of potentially unwanted activity from the Kobo app. Today I denied an https connection, and the desktop would not display one of the few true kepubs I bought there (and which I apparently left open in a tab).

(Edit: actually, forbidding the https request from akamaitechnologies has locked all my titles...)

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-28-2014 at 05:07 AM.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #225
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
The whole point is to keep customers from downloading and stripping the DRM. It would defeat the purpose if they gave everyone advanced notice and a chance to download and strip first.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote