Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #211
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholily View Post
This one posted earlier worked for me: https://rapidshare.com/files/3688687324/1914.rar

The password is mobileread

Thanks, but I wouldn't know what to do with a .rar file. I'll just live with the mess of this latest version.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #212
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Thanks, but I wouldn't know what to do with a .rar file. I'll just live with the mess of this latest version.

ltr
A RAR is just another type of ZIP; recent versions of WinZip support it as does a program called WinRar http://www.rarlab.com/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #213
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Edited miss read the original message.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #214
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVC2031 View Post
Lapsus clavis, surely!
Yep!
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #215
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
hehe, when I read posts like the following - I don't think it's as easy as copying to a USB drive:

Try to copy all files but KoboRoot.tgz to the device .kobo directory first (in a batch or one by one depending what works), then KoboRoot.tgz.
The way I see it, it is the presence of the .tgz file on the .kobo directory that triggers the update. If all goes well, even if you get disconnected before you're done the other files should still be three when you reconnect which would allow to only upgrade once all the files are there.
Most people do not experience device disconnection in the middle of file transfer. For those people the process is as simple as extracting files from a ZIP to a USB drive. Really. Not a really challenging proposition. And since they do not experience the disconnection problems, they do not need to follow the work-around...

Or maybe we should refrain from designing work-arounds for people like psycholily so that everyone else do not get confused?

And, come to think of it, an simple exe based upgrade would probably fail miserably in such a situation. With no alternate option available...

Last edited by frankieGom; 01-01-2012 at 02:06 PM.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #216
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
... and I start reading and all seems well until I go to the next chapter and it takes me back to a chapter I have already read rather then going to next one (this is Game of Thrones 4 book bundle so finding my place again is a nightmare with no numbered chapters) so I use the table of contents to try and find my place again and every chapter is duplicated, what a mess, it seems like there are two copies of the same book on the device all mashed together.
This might actually be something related to that particular book rather than the update. I remember a few other people having almost identical issues with that particular book previously. So far I haven't had the issue with it, but I haven't read it in a while.

EDIT: and I see there is a new thread with some people commenting on this very fact!

Last edited by robko; 01-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #217
Shigalyov
Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.

Device: [no sponsor - no mention]
Umm... so instead of useful features that people asked for we get a bunch of advertisements for products I will deliberately boycott and changes to some things we were just starting to get used to.

No support for tags, folders, series information... etc.

Plus a bunch of book previews taking up my precious space.

The other thing is that my KT actually seems dramatically slower since the update.

Sorry Kobo, if you really want to sell me books you're going to have to do a much better job than this. I'll be going out of my way not to buy them until things improve.

facepalm.jpg

All up, I'd give this update an E- .The only things nice I can say about it is that it hasn't actually killed my reader or given it a virus (I hope). And that at least "airplane mode" stays off now when I restart the reader (in previous versions it would be off).

Maybe I should be looking into an alternative operating system.
Shigalyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #218
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
After a week or so of using 1.9.16 I have to say it has been somewhat of a downgraded experience from 1.9.14 in terms of responsiveness and new bugs popping up..
-The device is slightly less responsive when reading ebooks/newspapers when turning pages or selecting text.
-It is now requiring me to select another area of the screen after selecting an item under "HOME" in order for my selection to be accepted.
-I notice if I delete something from my library or a magazine/newspaper within the device, I also have to press another area of the screen after it returns from 'deleting' the item in order for it to refresh my page and remove the deleted item from the screen.

Please tell me there is another update coming soon to repair all these bugs.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #219
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
After a week or so of using 1.9.16 I have to say it has been somewhat of a downgraded experience from 1.9.14 in terms of responsiveness and new bugs popping up..
-The device is slightly less responsive when reading ebooks/newspapers when turning pages or selecting text.
-It is now requiring me to select another area of the screen after selecting an item under "HOME" in order for my selection to be accepted.
-I notice if I delete something from my library or a magazine/newspaper within the device, I also have to press another area of the screen after it returns from 'deleting' the item in order for it to refresh my page and remove the deleted item from the screen.

Please tell me there is another update coming soon to repair all these bugs.
I'll second all of this. It's the first time I have had real problems with my KT after an upgrade. After doing the upgrade, I had set it up to show the shortlist and (as usual) had it set to Airplane Mode. At the end of the day I had turned off the reader, but next morning when I turned it on it not only wanted me to do a setup, but had cancelled the Airplane Mode and was showing the Recommendations again.

I ignored the Setup, put it back in Airplane Mode and changed back to the shortlist. After reading I turned it off again, and having just turned it on again to check, it seems to have stayed where I set it, for which I am thankful.

But I agree - we do need another upgrade soon to fix the bugs.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #220
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Just updated (hadn't thought to check for an update until tonight), and unfortunately I'm another person having the annoying issues with needing to tap multiple times on various menus to get the screen to update - both the new menu on the home screen and changing how you sort on the library screen (author, title, etc) for sure. Yes, tapping on an innocuous portion of the screen works, but I seem to have to wait a few seconds after pressing the first time - if I press anywhere on the screen right after selecting the menu item, absolutely nothing happens. It does kind of seem like it thinks its switching screens, just not actually refreshing, so I have to wait for the processor to finish that step before it'll recognize the new press, and finally update correctly.

I am another with a largeish number of books - currently at 588. It seems like the people who are having issues have larger libraries, and those who have or have forcibly created smaller libraries don't have it. I have no clue why this would be an issue - it really, really shouldn't have anything to do with the GUI, but it does seem to be a sort of pattern.

Other thoughts - don't mind having the shortlist on the main screen, though I'd really prefer just one list (and not the carousel, which is dumb and sorts newly added books in descending order!), as many others have suggested. Really, as much as I wasn't a huge fan at the time, I much prefer the old 'newly added slash reading list' from the Kobo mark 1.

Not crazy about the idea of the recommended list, as that really belongs on the 'store' screen and not home screen, as far as I'm concerned.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #221
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I really don't like the little list of books down the bottom. Apart from that it's all good.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #222
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
I got a new kind of problem since the last update.

It happened to me a couple of times. When i'm done reading, I close my kobo touch and nothing happens the page displayed is the home page with the book i'm reading and the recommendations. When i touch the switch it does it's normal booting process.

So when i'ts OFF it displays home page and no indication it's off. My settings say it should display the book cover when off.

This morning it got a lot worse. When i turned it off it displayed a completly blank page. So i booted it up again and to my surprise every setting i had had been deleted font, margins... everything. It even behave like it was the first time i was using my kobo. It displayed the welcome message. It even told me i could not read until it was activated. Fortunatly my books and my reading life were still there but everything else was lost.

My kobo was running perfectly(other from the double tap bug i had since i bought it in septembre) before this update and now it can,T even keep my settings.

When is the next update coming so these thing can be solved?

this problem REALLY REALLY need to be solved
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #223
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Like MorganM not a fan of the books at bottom. Even from a UI point of view I feel there are a lot of different elements going on now on the home screen.

Also like others the device does feel a little sluggish after this upgrade. Can't recall if you can roll back a version, but if so I might just do that as I was happy enough with the last firmware.

Honestly if Kobo want to sell me more ebooks they should be fixing their website search. Got some eGift cards for Christmas and boy is it a chore using that website. Easier to just use google to crawl the site for the book your after.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #224
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Honestly if Kobo want to sell me more ebooks they should be fixing their website search. Got some eGift cards for Christmas and boy is it a chore using that website. Easier to just use google to crawl the site for the book your after.
What is the problem on website search? I tried some searches (for example Anne McCaffrey without and with double quotation marks) and it does seem to work as it should.

Without quotation marks it finds lots of results like Google does, but books from Anne McCaffrey seem to be on top of results. With quotation marks there is only few handfuls of results, which seem to be correct.

There is no expert/custom search option though, which would be nice if you want to search for certain metadata only. But it is missing feature, not that it is broken.

Or am I missing something?
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #225
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@GoingDown: I wished I had written down some of the searches I was doing so I could give you a clear example. Without recalling specifics, lets just say it seems to have some rather literal parsing occurring.

Say there is a book called Otherland by Maria Tumarkin. For some reason I think the title is "other land" (perhaps it's been recommended to me, but never written down). If I type that in I don't get otherland as a result in any of the first couple of pages, but I do get "Theoretical Foundations of Learning Environments" ?? as a result on my first page after a couple of results which have "Other Lands" in their titles. Do the same search in Google however and it is the first result. Perhaps not the best example but hopefully gives some insight.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote