Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #211
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
(Also, you're quite wrong - example: One Time Pads. Immune to "breaking" when used correctly)
One-time pads, while unbreakable when used correctly as an encryption scheme, are not particularly useful for DRM!

To be unbreakable, the reading device would have to be preprogramed with a set of pad keys, unique to each device, whose total size was at least equal to the total size of all the books you would ever read in the lifetime of that device.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #212
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
In short, the reason that DRM can typically be bypassed is that it must be bypassed in order to give any access to the content at all. Whatever lock they put on the data, they must also provide the key - and this is their undoing.
You are 100% correct.

It's worth noting that it *is* possible to conceive of a DRM scheme which, while perhaps not theoretically uncrackable, is effectively so (in the absence of esoteric kit like electron microscopes to read device memory) - at least for custom hardware if not for PCs.

E.g. You could have a per-device RSA (or similar) key pair programmed into the device at manufacturing time, where the device will report the public (encrypting) key when a book is purchased, and the book will be encrypted with that key. The device would clearly need to contain the decrypting key, but there are various ways to prevent that being accessible to reverse engineers without esoteric equipment. E.g. the decrypting key and code could be in embedded flash on the processor, with contents readout and write protected - no way to get at it without serious kit - way beyond the effort that anyone would go to per-device.

Or, the decrypting code and key could be in normal memory, but itself encrypted with a device-unique key with which the processor was configured at manufacturing time.

None of this would get around the "read the book and type it out" DRM stripping, but that's significant per-book (as opposed to per-device) effort, which is hard to see being part of any sane backup strategy!

/JB
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #213
jbjb
Somewhat clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Uh, no. DRM has nothing to do with either actually. As had been thoroughly explained a backup is nothing but a copy of the file and DRM has no effect on copying the file. Nor does it have anything to do with legality. That depends on the particular copyright laws at the location the backup takes place.
Any backup strategy which doesn't include a strategy for restore is worthless.

It reminds me of the claims a long time ago from a company which claimed to have an algorithm which could losslessly compress literally *any* file, including its own output, such that repeated application of the algorithm would allow any file to be losslessly compressed to less than some specific size (I don't remember the specific size) - which is clearly impossible.

They were able successfully to demonstrate the compression algorithm in action - however they were unable to demonstrate decompression of the resulting files!

A backup which can't be restored falls into the same boat.

I'm sure we all agree that a copy of a DRMed file is a backup that can be restored in some circumstances, but not others in which a DRM-free file would be able to be restored. Hence, the DRM does reduce the *usefulness* of the backup.

Agreed, a meteor strike would also reduce the usefulness of a backup, but my feeling for which set of circumstances is more likely means that I see DRM as having a much more significant impact on the backups.

/JB

Last edited by jbjb; 02-26-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #214
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
One-time pads, while unbreakable when used correctly as an encryption scheme, are not particularly useful for DRM!
True, but "usability" isn't relevant to the point I was making about there being an uncrackable scheme. It's very much a choice of the company how crackable a given DRM scheme is, and that depends on how much effort and processing hardware they're prepared to throw at it.

(The most well known example is CSS - one of the reasons it's weak is that it's designed to work with a very limited level of processing hardware)

Half the time, the "encryption" is nominal and designed to invoke the DMCA/EUCD protections rather than to provide useful protection.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #215
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry that you're having difficulty understanding this. It is a very simple concept.

You can take any ebook file and back it up to any storage medium. There. You have backed it up, thus refuting your claim that "DRM prevents you from being able to back it up".

Backing up has nothing whatsoever to do with being able to use it on some future device you might own in 10 years time. It really doesn't help anyone to try to conflate these two entirely separate topics.
Sorry if I add to this off-topic...

I think your misunderstanding come for the use of verbs. Actually, IT people like me, use the verb "to back up" meaning the whole backup and restore process.
You're right, DRM does not prevent backup, it just makes DATA restore almost impossibile, which makes the first half of the process completely pointless.
Remeber: the point of backup is not to recover files, it's to recover the data in them! (Most of the commercial backup solutions store data in a different file format than the original one...)

So you're both right.

DRM prevents backup, if you mean the whole data backup/copy/restore thing.
DRM does not prevent backup, just data restore (*), if you're very precise in your choice of words.
DRM does not prevent backup nor restore of the zeros and ones which constitute your file, if you're nitpicking in your vocabulary and splitting the hair in two just to not concede a point.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #216
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
And in this analogy it would be inaccurate to say "The betamax format itself prevented me from backing up my movies" wouldn't it?

Cheers,
PKFFW
You're completely right, of course!

The correct statement is "the use of an industry-proprietary format makes backup useless".

You can add "and DRM encrypted" and it's just the same.

And the purpose is exactly the same: to grab monopoly on the distribution of content and to control the flow of information.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #217
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Hence PDF/A, etc.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #218
nick_
nick_ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
The entire art of typography of the past 500 years was a waste, and good riddance.
The art of typography is still valid for ... typography!

It is irrelevant for the new media.

There are always those who try to impose the old standards to a new media. This is a mistake that has been repeated many times in history. Are you sad for the disappearance of calligraphy, an art of 3000 years, because of the "vulgar" typography?

Latex was good for the '80s. Cobol was good for the '60s. Things change.

The future is css and XML.

Last edited by nick_; 02-26-2010 at 05:17 PM.
nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #219
nick_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
We will need something like that for citing purposes etc.
I don't think this is a problem. Scientific papers are usually well constructed with sections, paragraphs etc. Also, there are anchors, XML elements etc. that can be used for citations. It is not really a problem.

Quote:
But at the same time, reflowing text doesn't work well for academic books (research findings, not textbooks--though it sucks for those too), journal articles etc. as text needs to be around certain figures, tables can't be broken up etc.
I don't think any of these are problems. On the contrary. For example, what medium is better for tables? The printed A4 page or an 24 inch LCD screen? What medium is better for diagrams?

Right now e-book readers do have a lot of limitations, but sooner or later they won't be much different in functionality from a standard computer.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #220
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
(Also, you're quite wrong - example: One Time Pads. Immune to "breaking" when used correctly)
DRM being ineffective has nothing to do with the strength of the encryption scheme. You don't get around DRM by brute force breaking of the encryption. You could have completely unbreakable encryption, but the DRM would still be useless.

The problem with DRM is that they're trying to use encryption to protect against something that encryption does not protect against. Namely, the legitimate use and the illegitimate use are done by the same person.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #221
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_ View Post
I don't think any of these are problems. On the contrary. For example, what medium is better for tables? The printed A4 page or an 24 inch LCD screen? What medium is better for diagrams?
Honestly, it doesn't matter IMO. All that matters is that it can be displayed as intended. Be that on a printout or a screen big enough to display it without cropping, or shrinking, or reflowing etc.

I'll quit printing out my research articles to read when I have a stylus screen tablet with a screen big enough (8.5 x 11 or larger) to display them exactly the same as on my printout currently.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #222
nick_

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Care to give a single reason for the claim that HTML is better?
I will give you three:

1) Separation of content from presentation (XHTML+CSS).

2) Human eyes have a wide field of view, that's why we have wide LCD screens (and movie theaters) and no A4 screens.

3) Flexibility.

There are people out there with 30 inch screens, with 3 inch screens, people with a variety of eye handicaps etc.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #223
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Laws are changed or ignored to reflect community standards. Australian copyright law prohibits transferring a copy of your music to an iPod/MP3 player.

Could you imagine what would happen if every iPod user turned themselves into the police for copyright violations.

The law is on the books it does not get enforced. There have been rumblings by the politicians to change the law, I do not know if that has happened.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #224
nick_

Quote:
Honestly, it doesn't matter IMO. All that matters is that it can be displayed as intended. Be that on a printout or a screen big enough to display it without cropping, or shrinking, or reflowing etc.

I'll quit printing out my research articles to read when I have a stylus screen tablet with a screen big enough (8.5 x 11 or larger) to display them exactly the same as on my printout currently.
Why does it have to be exactly as your printout? You are used to it, but there is no other good reason. We all adapt to the medium we are publishing to. If you are going to publish to an A4 paper, you will definitely not include a table with 10 columns. But if you publish in HTML you can have 10 columns and also permit the user to short the data using any column (as in Excel) etc. Why shouldn't you do this? Just because you cannot do it for a printed A4 page?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #225
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_ View Post
Latex was good for the '80s. Cobol was good for the '60s. Things change.

The future is css and XML.
You seem to be confusing rendering with markup. CSS and XHTML are probably the future of markup. The current rendering engines are poor and will hopefully improve.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote