Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #2161
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
You can return to any previous firware as long as you have the .bin file.
So it actually could have been that I downloaded the Amazon .bin-file through the posts on MobileRead, and still update (downgrade) to a lower version by using that, and not doing anything special.

I don't really remember to be honest, as I've removed any hacks months ago.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-21-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #2162
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You can return to any previous firware as long as you have the .bin file.
I've just tried downgrading from 5.4.2 to 5.4.1 and absolutely nothing happens. Can you tell me what I need to do to make it work?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #2163
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So it actually could have been that I downloaded the Amazon .bin-file through the posts on MobileRead, and still update (downgrade) to a lower version by using that, and not doin anything special.

I don't really remember to be honest, as I've removed any hacks months ago.
That is correct... that is exactly what you did. The version number means nothing. The devs kindly have available all of the older firmware .bin files that you sideload to your kindle and then tell it to update (just like manually doing it from Amazon). The problem was that Amazon does not provide a .bin file of the original firmware, so going back after the first update was not possible. As of today, it appears that the devs have an image of the original firmware so if you don't like the first update it is now possible to revert back to the original.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #2164
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@HarryT
Sorry...should have been more clear. I suspect firmware 5.4.1 was not a complete image, but an incremental update. I believe you would need to downgrade to the next lower complete image (which in the case of the PW2 would be the original firmware) then update to 5.4.1 if you wanted 5.4.1's goodies but not want 5.4.2. Then, if you wanted to stay there, you would need to stop Amazon from auto-updating by either leaving wifi off or by utilizing one of the hacks that will block updates.

The PW2 in our house belongs to my wife and a divorce has been promised if I JB and hack it, so I have only been following the dev's work for interest and have not actually done this to a PW2 (PW1 yes, nine ways from Sunday). If anyone has any corrections, please jump in!

Last edited by GoSharks; 12-21-2013 at 12:26 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #2165
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
@HarryT
Sorry...should have been more clear. I suspect firmware 5.4.1 was not a complete image, but an incremental update. I believe you would need to downgrade to the next lower complete image (which in the case of the PW2 would be the original firmware) then update to 5.4.1 if you wanted 5.4.1's goodies but not want 5.4.2. Then, if you wanted to stay there, you would need to stop Amazon from auto-updating by either leaving wifi off or by utilizing one of the hacks that will block updates.
No, all PW firmware images are complete images, not updates. They are all 167MB in size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #2166
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The PW2 in our house belongs to my wife and a divorce has been promised

If anyone has any corrections, please jump in!
I would test if your wife actually divorces you if you jailbreak the KPW2.

If she doesn't, you're fine. If she does, you're fine too, because she has balls. (And thus would be a guy, making the divorce a rather good thing.)

Either way, you end up in the best position (with wife, or rescued from a guy), and WITH a jailbroken KPW2.

That's a win-win-win situation! Go for it, jailbreak that thing!

(Sorry, couldn't resist )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, all PW firmware images are complete images, not updates. They are all 167MB in size.
Then the conclusion would be that downgrading does work on the KPW1, but not on the KPW2...

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-21-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #2167
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Why??
For example you should not have to do something special to get information about firmware updates. Or information about corrected versions of books and so on.

We are moving towards an internet of things and crippling devices that are designed to be connected by putting them in "airplane mode" just seems to me to be a stupid thing to do.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #2168
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
We are moving towards an internet of things and crippling devices that are designed to be connected by putting them in "airplane mode" just seems to me to be a stupid thing to do.
It's the other way around. Designing a device that does not *NEED* internet for its main functionality in such a way that it can't be used off-line properly is the stupid thing to do.

Not everybody wants to be connected everywhere, all the time. I know I don't. And I won't. If newer Kindles are no longer fit for my uses, there will be another device that is.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #2169
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
It's the other way around. Designing a device that does not *NEED* internet for its main functionality in such a way that it can't be used off-line properly is the stupid thing to do.

Not everybody wants to be connected everywhere, all the time. I know I don't. And I won't. If newer Kindles are no longer fit for my uses, there will be another device that is.
Yes, the world should know how right you are!

Reminds me of one reason (besides the PRICE) why my kids aren't getting the Xbox One for Christmas. It's like inviting Big Brother into your house.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #2170
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, the world should know how right you are!
See?

Quote:
Reminds me of one reason (besides the PRICE) why my kids aren't getting the Xbox One for Christmas. It's like inviting Big Brother into your house.
One reason I wouldn't want any console is because many games completely rely on online services to be playable. I'm not talking about multiplayer: I'm talking about getting updates, saving games and achievements, and so on. Online services gone, game gone. That could be as soon as 3-4 years after the game is launched. (I'm lookin at you, EA.)

Console-games should be fully updateable off-line, using saved update files, and should also be playable off-line. (Assuming a game is not primarily intended to be a multi-player game, obviously.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-21-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #2171
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Like it is stupid of you to claim that I have said that the main functionality should not be working without the net (if the net is not part of the main functionality).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #2172
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@HarryT: That's interesting. Where did this 5.4.1 .bin file come from?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #2173
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Like it is stupid of you to claim that I have said that the main functionality should not be working without the net (if the net is not part of the main functionality).
You said that a device that is not always connected to the internet is essentially broken. That implies that it doesn't need to be working (correctly) if it's not connected to the internet.

If it would work correctly (in this case, being able to create collections without timeouts and without nags) if not connected to the internet, then it wouldn't be broken when disconnected.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-21-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #2174
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:

I agree, I too do not want to be online continuously, I only want to be online when I need or want something online. I also do not want auto updates on anything, I want to know when my devices are updating and what to expect when it does. I am the same with everything, all updates are set up to download and install at my discretion.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #2175
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Now see this is a perfect example of why the use of the device should not be tied into being online always, it should be at the consumers discretion. Let the consumer decide whether or not it is required. Even Amazon knows this, otherwise why do they give the battery times between charges and state that the times is based on the wifi being off.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote