Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #196
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Lately I find myself doing a lot of low level computing on my Galaxy Note with the aid of a foldable BT keyboard, such as entering this post.
I totally thought you where going to say something like compiling the kernel or repartitioning the filesystem
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #197
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Just like laptops, there's room for all uses from budget consumption only devices to high-end enterprise driven devices. The sooner manufacturers realize this and start producing multiple models, the more success they'll have.
Apple and Amazon have success with one model different by memory.

Maybe other models will be produced...but they will charge more for them.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #198
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
I...prefer videos to reading

You should join mobileWATCH.com not mobileREAD.com

ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #199
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm not sure why there is so heated discussion about the lack of an SD card. When folks had this debated arguments for iDevices and Kindles it made sense. They are the only devices allowed to access their ecosystem (at the time of the k2). For Android devices there are more devices you can shake a stick at. Of all form factors and prices.
At the height of their domination, Microsoft controlled the concept of PC. They defined not only the operating system, people bought new hardware based on their spec.

Fast forward to present times and Android world, the slightly modified question is: has Google achieved the control over the concept of Android tablet?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #200
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I agree I can't phantom the idea of taking TV/movies to a camping trip, for me they are polar actives. I just don't know how you can relax and enjoy a surrounding when you are engrossed in a TV show.
No different than reading a book while on vacation.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #201
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post

You should join mobileWATCH.com not mobileREAD.com

You forgot the other half of that sentence. At home, I prefer reading. I'll leave it up to you to decide which I do more of: camping or working.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #202
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
At the height of their domination, Microsoft controlled the concept of PC. They defined not only the operating system, people bought new hardware based on their spec.
Fast forward to present times and Android world, the slightly modified question is: has Google achieved the control over the concept of Android tablet?
I'll answer your question with another question. Is the Nexus Tablet a Google concept created in their own vision or is it a clone of another very successful 7" tablet?

If it's the latter how can they be controlling the market?

Quote:
No different than reading a book while on vacation.
Is this suppose to be a counter argument, because I totally agree with you. It seems like a huge waste of money to spend several grand on a vacation to park your arse and read. I've tried it several times and it drives me nuts.

Also are you talking about Vacation or camping? They are not the same thing. Camping is an subset of vacationing.

People can take vacation to experience another culture or to be pampered.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #203
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
That seems a pretty obvious no.
There have been dozens of cheap and nasty Android tablets that did nothing but hurt Android's image. If Google had control, they would have prevented them existing.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #204
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I totally thought you where going to say something like compiling the kernel or repartitioning the filesystem
On a Galaxy Note?
Doubtful.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #205
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Also are you talking about Vacation or camping? They are not the same thing. Camping is an subset of vacationing.

Camping is a vacation to me. "Camping" can take many forms too, from a sleeping bag under the stars to tent camping to luxurious RVs. It's nice to have some variety while away, especially if it's for an extended period. I see nothing wrong with wanting to have movies and music accessible while camping; there's plenty of time to enjoy the Great Outdoors too.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-23-2014 at 02:32 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #206
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'll answer your question with another question.
It was a rhetorical question, I tried to come up with an explanation what is fuelling this heated discussion.

Quote:
Is the Nexus Tablet a Google concept created in their own vision or is it a clone of another very successful 7" tablet?
My Byzantine inheritance, which instantly takes over in presence of that Brin fellow, tells me that there are no clear or straight answers, Mr. =X=. It is a very logical thread to follow, I recognize that. At the same time, Chrome netbook was pushing the cloud, and there is something in that simplification that "for Google, what is not in the cloud, it does not exist".

Meet you halfway at "both, most likely"?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #207
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I'm not sure why there is so heated discussion about the lack of an SD card. When folks had this debated arguments for iDevices and Kindles it made sense. They are the only devices allowed to access their ecosystem (at the time of the k2). For Android devices there are more devices you can shake a stick at. Of all form factors and prices.
1) people are used to having a little more freedom with Android, and it's sometimes worse to have something taken away than to never have it

2) Google has been been flirting with this sd-less stuff for a while and they've also been on a related button killing spree. Some are worried about just how far they'll take it. Nexus is Google's ideal device, and what they're saying right now is that ideally, more manufacturers would lose the sd slot. Simultaneously, there are issues with usb drive mode being tossed for the less flexible MTP.

3) There isn't another 7" tegra 3 200+ dpi tablet with an sd slot. There will be, I'm sure, and folks will move on then.

4) The 370t set some pretty high expectations.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #208
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Is this suppose to be a counter argument, because I totally agree with you. It seems like a huge waste of money to spend several grand on a vacation to park your arse and read. I've tried it several times and it drives me nuts.

I don't spend several grand. I spend well under a grand. I camp at Oregon State Parks along the Pacific coast and stay in yurts. The setting is far more relaxing and much cheaper than a hotel. I do all sorts of activities like relaxing in camp, hiking along the beaches and nearby forests, kite flying, sightseeing, visiting museums, shopping, barbequing in camp, dining in a restaurant, watching videos, listening to music and audiobooks, etc.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #209
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Camping is a vacation to me. I prefer that to spending megabucks to be pampered at a fancy hotel, and I'm not much for traveling to exotic places. To each his own, I guess.

"Camping" can take many forms too, from a sleeping bag under the stars to tent camping to luxurious RVs. It's nice to have some variety while away, especially if it's for an extended period. I see nothing wrong with wanting to have movies and music accessible while camping; there's plenty of time to enjoy the Great Outdoors too.
Exactly

I like yurt camping along the Oregon coast. They're only $35~41/ night. My favorite time is in the winter, especially during a storm. The sounds of waves, wind, and rain is very relaxing. Inside, you're quite comfortable; since yurts are equipped with a bunk bed, a futon, a coffee table, lights, heat, and electricity. Outside, there's a picnic table, a fire pit, and water.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #210
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Camping is a vacation to me.
Me too that is why I said camping is a subset of vacation.

@Ankh: After re-reading your post I think I'm following you. I think David's point #2 is the point your making. Saying the world is full of copycats and few leaders. So then by that logic there is a valid fear that other manufactures will follow suit and remove SD card slots. However Google isn't as tyrinical as Apple or Microsoft. And vendors do have the choice of what they wish to include. If you look at the Nexus Phone HTC deciced to follow the Nexus form and remove the sd card. Samsung chose to keep it and also chose to keep the old keys layout. After this summer we'll see who made the right choice. My money's on Samsung...literally.

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet