Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #196
mkalman
mkalman began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Does anyone have the patience for an old man to help update my library on Marvin (on iPad running 8.0.2) from Calibre? I use the latest iTunes and OSX 10.9 on a mac laptop. I was able to load the iOS applications plugin and the Marvin XD but I see no place on Calibre that recognizes my iPad or how to connect wirelessly or otherwise with the Marvin App.
mkalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #197
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
FWIW, I also still get the Malformed Database message when connecting iPad Air (iOS 8.02) to Calibre 2.5 with the 1.4.4 IOSRA plugin under OS/X 10.9.5
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #198
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone 12, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkalman View Post
Does anyone have the patience for an old man to help update my library on Marvin (on iPad running 8.0.2) from Calibre? I use the latest iTunes and OSX 10.9 on a mac laptop. I was able to load the iOS applications plugin and the Marvin XD but I see no place on Calibre that recognizes my iPad or how to connect wirelessly or otherwise with the Marvin App.
I can try to help you. I currently don't have a fully working setup, but I'll do as much from memory as I can. This is for connecting via a cable between your computer and your device.

First, you need to check your settings for MarvinXD and iOSR:

Preferences > Change Calibre Behavior > Plugins

search for iOS

when you find iOS reader applications (1.4.4), choose the "Customize plugin" button at the bottom. Make sure that in the window that pops up, under the "General options" tab, "Preferred iOS reader application" is set to Marvin.

in the "Marvin options" tab, make sure the settings are the way you want them, and then click "OK."

Now, search for Marvin XD, and click on "Customize plugin" and set up any custom columns you want.

Once you've clicked okay, then click the green "Apply" checkmark at the top of the Preferences menu. You'll probably have to restart Calibre at this point.

Once Calibre is back up, connect your device and start up the Calibre connector on it. After a few moments, you should get a few new icons in your main toolbar.

If you don't:

Preferences > Change Calibre behavior > Toolbar

Click on the "Click to choose toolbar or menu to customize" bar near the top, and select "The main toolbar when a device is connected" from the dropdown menu.

Find Marvin XD, which *should* be in the list to the left (Available actions). Highlight it and click on the right arrow in between the two columns to move it over onto the "connected" toolbar. You also need "Send to device" in the right-hand list, if it's not already. When you're done, click the "Apply" checkmark again, disconnect your device, and restart Calibre if you're told to.

Repeat the previous attempt to connect.

If you still can't get the Marvin icon to appear on your toolbar after that, I have no clue what to do.

If this doesn't work and you want to try connecting wirelessly, let me know and I'll walk you through that.
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #199
acowan0886
acowan0886 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
I cannot customize the iOS reader application plug-in. No the device is not plugged in.

ImportError:No module named PYQt4.

I never had problems with this until I installed the latest Calibre.
acowan0886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #200
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acowan0886 View Post
I cannot customize the iOS reader application plug-in. No the device is not plugged in.

ImportError:No module named PYQt4.

I never had problems with this until I installed the latest Calibre.
Did you update the plugin to the latest version? If so, this might help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Go to Preferences | Advanced | Plugins | Device Interface plugins, select iOS reader applications.
Click Remove plugin.
Click Apply.
Go to Preferences | Advanced | Miscellaneous, click Open calibre configuration directory.
Open the plugins folder.
Delete iOS reader applications.json.
Delete the iOS_reader_applications_resources folder.
Restart calibre.

Then try installing the plugin(s) again.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #201
mkalman
mkalman began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Harper View Post
That screen is all you'll see on your device. Everything else has to be done from the Calibre end of things. Once you have the connector showing ready on your device, do you have the MarvinXD button on your menu bar in Calibre?

(I recommend also using the Reading List plugin, which allows you to queue items to be sync'd to your device later.)
Thanks. I am seeing the calibre connector screen showing ready but not the Marvin XD button or anything like it on the Calibre. The plugin is abled. On the reader the calibre connector screen moves around from time to time... but that is all
mkalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #202
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
I am finding that each time I close Calibre it is uninstalling IOSRA. Here is the latest message when I tried to reinstall.
calibre, version 2.5.0
ERROR: Install Plugin Failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 712, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 383, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 550, in initialize_plugin
InvalidPlugin: Initialization of plugin Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 544, in initialize_plugin
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 910, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 1239, in _get_connected_device_info
InitialConnectionError: Unable to connect to iDevice
failed with traceback:
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 1239, in _get_connected_device_info
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #203
stanhere
stanhere began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Retina 4th gen + Marvin v2.8 & Calibre v2.9 on W7 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chookie2 View Post
I am finding that each time I close Calibre it is uninstalling IOSRA. Here is the latest message when I tried to reinstall.
calibre, version 2.5.0
ERROR: Install Plugin Failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 712, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 383, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 550, in initialize_plugin
InvalidPlugin: Initialization of plugin Traceback (most recent call last):
failed with traceback:
Yes, Exactly! ...... Ditto here ........ Add me to this 'Out-of-Commision' Queue.

I shouldn't have updated from iOS 7.x to 8.02 so quickly!

Last edited by stanhere; 10-07-2014 at 09:03 AM.
stanhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #204
mgarman14
mgarman14 began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin iPad Retina
so quick update - Still getting the same error as before with both my iPad and iPad mini. Even after reinstalling calibre and plug ins, and reseting my network settings.

But oddly, the brand new iPhone 6 plus works without a problem. All are running iOS 8.0.2
mgarman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #205
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
Doesn't matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall Calibre & Marvin XD it loses the connection to IOSRA and tells me cannot connect to device and Marvin is not coming up, it was fine before the update. Am just hoping someone is working on a fix or I will opt back ibooks and just read what I have on the ipad but it denies me the chance to add to series ..and that is a real pain. GRRR
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #206
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2

Last edited by Marcy; 10-09-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Figured out this problem after much searching and gnashing of teeth.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #207
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by Marcy; 10-09-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Quoted this post instead of just editing it.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:18 AM   #208
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
So, I updated calibre to 1.48 and updated the Marvin plug-in. But now the plug-in doesn't appear on my toolbar, even though in preferences it shows it as being selected to be there. Any suggestions?
Addendum: And I gave in and updated to 2.5.0. I'm told I need to install iOS reader applications to get Marvin XD to install.

I've installed it. But Marvin XD doesn't appear, even though it appears in my plugin list as active.

Addendum 2: I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything. I've upgraded. I get endless windows now popping up saying iOS reader application "Unable to connect to iDevice." In the time it took me to type this short paragraph, 28 of those windows popped up. And now that I closed those 28 more keep appearing at an alarming rate.

Last edited by Marcy; 10-09-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #209
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Hi Marcy
The state with this plugin is a little troubled at the moment. The Calibre 2.X update required plugins to be slightly reworked to behave correctly, and the IOSRA and Marvin XD plugins were patched to work that way.

Unfortunately something in that transition meant that some, but not all, OS/X users encountered errors when connecting. This problem is still to be resolved.

To make matters more confusing Apple's update to iOS 8 seems to have introduced new problems, this time for all users, OS/X or Windows.

All of these are being looked into, but it may be a while before the situation settles down. In the meantime, alas, the Calibre/Marvin XD path is unavailable.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #210
stanhere
stanhere began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Retina 4th gen + Marvin v2.8 & Calibre v2.9 on W7 64
To anyone new landing in this thread with iPad / Calibre comm problems ......ChristopherTD's post #209 above precisely outlines what's now at issue that encompasses Apple's iOS8.x, Goval's Calibre & Krueger's two key, Apple-Marvin PlugIns.

Let's hope that Kovid Goyal, Wulf Krueger & Apple work efficiently to solve a knotty problem, soon!

Last edited by stanhere; 10-10-2014 at 01:27 AM.
stanhere is offline   Reply With Quote