Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #181
vinnie1
vinnie1 doesn't littervinnie1 doesn't littervinnie1 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo wifi
ADE in Linux

I have tried ADE in Linux, the problem I have encountered is that ADE does not recognise your Kobo, so transferring books to the Kobo will be cumbersome.

Linux itself will detect and mount Kobo as a external hard drive.
vinnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #182
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I'd be interested in trying an updated version...
Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64

32b version should work as long as the various 32b libs are installed BTW. This is pretty much mandatory for most desktop users anyways...

...have to try this after I get around to dist-upgrading... doing fine ATM manually shifting files and/or using calibre on all of my various devices... actually more busy with custom fw for the gtab ATM anyways...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #183
sej7278
Enthusiast
sej7278 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Just tried v1.8 on Fedora14 x86 and am generally pleased with it.

One thing I don't like is that it seems less like a desktop application and more like a port of the Android app.

It needs more standard desktop features like:
  • a file->open dialog to open local epub files, or at least import into library;
  • a night mode (I always use night mode on my Android);
  • the ability to use different/smaller fonts;
  • a configurable library location rather than just storing everything in ~/.local/share/data/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition/ (yuk spaces/capitals in filenames!)
  • 64-bit dynamic version that uses the system Qt/OpenSSL not static ones;
  • RPM packaging not just DEB

I don't know if the PC/Mac version has these kind of features though.....

I love the Calibre application but the ebook reader sucks, the Kobo/Kindle applications render so much nicer than the standard Linux readers (even FBReader).

Last edited by sej7278; 03-28-2011 at 03:46 AM.
sej7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #184
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
Just tried v1.8 on Fedora14 x86 and am generally pleased with it.

One thing I don't like is that it seems less like a desktop application and more like a port of the Android app.

It needs more standard desktop features like:
  • a file->open dialog to open local epub files, or at least import into library;
  • a night mode (I always use night mode on my Android);
  • the ability to use different/smaller fonts;
  • a configurable library location rather than just storing everything in ~/.local/share/data/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition/ (yuk spaces/capitals in filenames!)
  • 64-bit dynamic version that uses the system Qt/OpenSSL not static ones;
  • RPM packaging not just DEB

I don't know if the PC/Mac version has these kind of features though.....

I love the Calibre application but the ebook reader sucks, the Kobo/Kindle applications render so much nicer than the standard Linux readers (even FBReader).
Hey! I was going to try that tomorrow with Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64 as I can't get my wifi to pick up the 1.9 fw update... nice to know that it works, but it sounds like you're not using it with an actual device though? But it's a start as I was under the impression that it wouldn't work at all...

From what I gather the app is primarily a skinned browser interface that is defaulted to going to the Kobo online store. The "shop" on the wifi kobo is the same, a browser hardcoded to go to their online store. Presumably the actual reader part is different though as a portion of it would be provided by Adobe who do the DRM...

[EDIT]
Dunno how you can stand to read books on a computer/notebook though. It just never worked for me except looking up specific items in technical documents or something that I was writing up, much prefer something smaller for fiction reading, i.e. dedicated reader or PDA sized device...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 03-30-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #185
sej7278
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Dunno how you can stand to read books on a computer/notebook though. It just never worked for me except looking up specific items in technical documents or something that I was writing up, much prefer something smaller for fiction reading, i.e. dedicated reader or PDA sized device...
i had planned to use it with my netbook, i find my android phone too small, my desktop pc too big, and i'm not wonderfully impressed with my mum's kindle3. might think of a rooted nook colour.
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #186
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
i had planned to use it with my netbook, i find my android phone too small, my desktop pc too big, and i'm not wonderfully impressed with my mum's kindle3. might think of a rooted nook colour.
NC is relatively HEAVY, and don't expect to be using it in sunlight(sunny) areas unless you have shade and some really brightly lit areas(artificial) can also wash out the screen.

if you want it to double as a tablet might as well try it, but I'd check one out in a store first if you can, plus from what I gather you'll need at least a cc with a US billing address to be able to use their store if you want...

if you're after a pure reader, I'd stick with an eInk device though as it would be useable in sunny conditions, etc. with the drawback needing some lighting in poorly lit area where LCD readers shine as they have backlights...

IF you had c. $500 I might suggest looking at the Notion Ink Adam WiFi with a PixelQi screen to sort of get the best of both worlds. I say sort of because it's not quite as good as eInk, and the color when the backlight is on is apparently a bit washed out on those screens. Unfortunately no b&m stores carry them so you can't see one first unless you happen to know a current owner.

(I read for years on my Palm IIIx, and personally find my 4.3" LCD Archos A43IT to be acceptable to read on...)
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #187
sej7278
Enthusiast

yes i find sunlight is a big problem with my phone but the kindle is the opposite - useless in poor light.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #188
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGregory View Post
I'm having the exact same problem, Harry. Have you gotten anywhere with this? I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. I really don't want to have to put Windows on this machine. Ubuntu has been so liberating for me... like getting rid of Bell

Greg
Well I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 (upgraded since 9.04 IIRC). Kobo Desktop app works fine. It is 1.8-1 version, the link Taming has earlier in this thread.

I suggest load up a terminal and run Kobo (yes uppercase K) and see if any error messages get displayed. I don't think I had to do anything to my system to get it running, but as I said, my system has been on a steady upgrade path.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #189
kma
kma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wireless
Yes please!
Running Arch linux.
Also interested in a 64-bit version as my 32-bit system is very old and likely
to be retired soon.
Solaris/SPARC very interesting as well as that's the only thing I use at work.
kma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #190
jhewarren
jhewarren began at the beginning.

Device: n800 :D
multiple versions

amd64 to start (main machine)
x86 for netbook
both UBU10-10
n800 is maemo, also deb based.
n8 is Symbian, any thoughts on support there?

Also willing to assist as reqd.

Regards,
John
jhewarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #191
jbizzo
jbizzo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo desktop software for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
MobileReaders,
We have an unofficial version of our Desktop software that will run on Debian based Linux distros. We haven't released it officially, but if you would be interested in getting a copy, please send me a PM and I'll try to get you a copy.

Please be sure to include your Distro and CPU architecture - we are currently planning only to release a 32-bit version, but if there is enough interest we might be able to release the 64-bit one as well.

Let us know!
Follow up to your inquiry, I am very much interested in the kobo desktop software for my linux mint distro. My CPU is an AMD Athlon Processor - 64bit. Do you have a version I can install? If not, what is the status of your release?
jbizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #192
akuerz75
Enthusiast
akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom
I would be also interested in the Linux version.
Im using Linux Mint 10/32b on an AMD Athlon.
Does anyone know where I can get it from?
akuerz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #193
capitaltux
capitaltux began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I am interested in the Linux desktop software. I would really appreciate if you could send me a copy.

I am running Debian Squeeze AMD64.

I will post a quick review as soon as I tested it.

Last edited by capitaltux; 05-24-2011 at 06:25 AM.
capitaltux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #194
snmilliken
snmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo,Kobo Vox & BB Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon227 View Post
I'm very interested in a Linux Desktop program. I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 64-bit.

I've downloaded version 1.8-1 of the program and installed it along with the 32-bit compatibility libraries.

It runs fine, but once I try to update my library, after a few seconds it crashes. The log in the terminal seems to suggest that it syncs fine, but then crashes trying to zip something. The error message is:

/usr/local/Kobo/Kobo: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1: undefined symbol: zip_open

(The line previous to that is "finished FINISHED 7537760")

Has anyone encountered this error and solved it? I find it strange that a library that was installed with the program is causing it problems.

Other than that, I love that you (Kobo guys) have released a version for linux, even if it is unofficial. Keep it up!
I received the same problem. Installed on a Simply Mepis 11, 64 bit. Basically followed:

1. Download app
2. install dependancies lib-ia32 libpng
3. dpkg -i --force-architecture kobo-desktop.deb
4. Find and download a 32bit version libzip1, unzip package somewhere and copy the 2 files in LIBZIP-PACKAGE_FOLDER/usr/lib/ to /usr/lib32/
5. Create symbolic link -
ln -s /usr/lib32/libzip.so.1.0.0 /usr/local/Kobo/libzip.so.1
6. Launch app by typing Kobo at the command prompt, or from the menu.

In checking the debian package site, nothing shows up under libnickel.
snmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #195
M4tthew
M4tthew began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and I can't seem to make the kobo desktop work for me. Anyone know of a version that works for 10.10?

I tried installing the link that is posted here in the forum, but it keeps telling me that the 'package is of bad quality' and that installing it is a bad idea. Since several of you guys are running that same app just fine, I'm a little stumped. I switched to ubuntu from windows a couple years ago, and know just enough to get myself into trouble...would appreciate any help.

Last edited by M4tthew; 06-02-2011 at 07:46 PM.
M4tthew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software