Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #181
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
My great aunt ran a country general store and I remember buying Cokes for a nickel (in a 6 oz. glass bottle that you returned to get your deposit back.) and lots of penny candy.
Who remembers Squirrel Nut Zippers?
Or Atomic Fireballs
Bit O' Honey
Mary Janes
Pixy Stix
Red Hots
Sugar Daddy and Sugar Babies and Sugar Mama.
Tootsie Rolls and Tootsie Roll Pops
Wax Candy
Caramel Creams
Cow Tales
Slo Poke
BB Bats
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #182
jswinden
Nameless Being

We still had glass cola bottles and recycling of same when I was in high school in the mid 1970s. I think they switched over to plastic bottles in the late 1970s or the 1980s. I remember putting our empty cola bottles back into the six-pack carton in which they were bought and returning them to the store for the nickle per bottle refund. I also remember and old retired man who lived at a nursing home in my town. He was old and forgotten by his family, but he was still healthy and energetic and we would see him walking all over town gathering up empty cola bottles to raise a little spending money. Later I found out that he gave that money to fellow residents at his nursing home. We called him Coke Bottle Joe. Everyone liked him. I hope he wound up in a special place, if such exist, as he certainly deserved to.
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #183
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We still had glass cola bottles and recycling of same when I was in high school in the mid 1970s. I think they switched over to plastic bottles in the late 1970s or the 1980s. I remember putting our empty cola bottles back into the six-pack carton in which they were bought and returning them to the store for the nickle per bottle refund. I also remember and old retired man who lived at a nursing home in my town. He was old and forgotten by his family, but he was still healthy and energetic and we would see him walking all over town gathering up empty cola bottles to raise a little spending money. Later I found out that he gave that money to fellow residents at his nursing home. We called him Coke Bottle Joe. Everyone liked him. I hope he wound up in a special place, if such exist, as he certainly deserved to.
I think they would have switched to plastic bottles sooner but they had to find a plastic that could hold the pressure of the carbonation. At about the same time (mid 70's) they switched from tin to Aluminum cans for soda pop too. They had pop top openings like beer before that as well unlike the flip top opener that they have now. My dad put a glass bottle of Pepsi in the freezer (to get cold) and forgot it once. Naturally the bottle shattered since ice takes up more space than liquid and we were cleaning bits of frozen Pepsi out of the freezer for a long time after that. Film stock changed in the 70's as well. You can see that from how older 3 color Technicolor films from the 50's (like "The Robe" ) kept their colors over decades but movies like "The Godfather" were turning yellow after just a decade in the can. The two color process may have been cheaper but the film stock wasn't as long lasting in terms of keeping its colors bright. That's why a number of DVD's are 'digitally restored' I think. They had to restore the proper colors to the prints.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #184
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think they would have switched to plastic bottles sooner but they had to find a plastic that could hold the pressure of the carbonation. At about the same time (mid 70's) they switched from tin to Aluminum cans for soda pop too. They had pop top openings like beer before that as well unlike the flip top opener that they have now. My dad put a glass bottle of Pepsi in the freezer (to get cold) and forgot it once. Naturally the bottle shattered since ice takes up more space than liquid and we were cleaning bits of frozen Pepsi out of the freezer for a long time after that. Film stock changed in the 70's as well. You can see that from how older 3 color Technicolor films from the 50's (like "The Robe" ) kept their colors over decades but movies like "The Godfather" were turning yellow after just a decade in the can. The two color process may have been cheaper but the film stock wasn't as long lasting in terms of keeping its colors bright. That's why a number of DVD's are 'digitally restored' I think. They had to restore the proper colors to the prints.
Oh yes I remember when tin cans for cola and beer switched from the stronger tin that required a bottle/can opener to open to the lightweight aluminum cans with pull tabs to open them. We all thought it was so cool that we could easily crush the aluminum cans in one hand. Originally the pull tabs for opening them were designed for the entire tab to be pulled off the can. Some people had trouble with them because they would put them back into the can then accidentally swallow it. Also they made for a lot of litter in the form pull tabs lying everywhere. I'm glad they redesigned the tabs so that they stay on the can. Prior to pull tabs and twist off lids, a lot of us carried military style P-38 and P-51 fold-up can/bottle openers on our key-chains.

Last edited by jswinden; 02-22-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #185
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I remember in 1980, the little store across the street from where we lived sold Pepsi and Dr Pepper in returnable bottles. Every week, one or the other was on sale for 20 cents. The other was 40 cents. The deposit was 10 cents. Weekdays we would pay the deposit. On weekends, we would take our bottles back for free drinks.
*Side note: do not ever offer to pay your little brother in Dr Pepper for a week when he works for you. Amazing how many Dr Peppers he went through that week. It would have been cheaper to pay him with money.

Oh and in the late 70's in Luckenbach, the kids were paid a nickel each for every Lone Star bottle they returned. Then a quarter to move the full case of empties to a certain spot.
And of course the kids used that money to buy their snacks.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #186
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
... Originally the pull tabs for opening them were designed for the entire tab to be pulled off the can. Some people had trouble with them because they would put them back into the can then accidentally swallow it. Also they made for a lot of litter in the form pull tabs lying everywhere...
And a good thing too. If they had invented the "pop-down" tabs first how would Jimmy Buffett been able to write Margaritaville?

Stepped on a pop-top
Blew out my flip flop
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #187
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
And a good thing too. If they had invented the "pop-down" tabs first how would Jimmy Buffett been able to write Margaritaville?

Stepped on a pop-top
Blew out my flip flop
I remember seeing piles of them swept up around coke machines. Well that and piles of dead crickets. But at least the cricket biodegraded eventually. The coke machines had a slot to place the pull tops in after you opened the can of cola, but very few people actually used it. Most apparently just dropped them on the ground. The same was true for the pop tops on cola glass bottles. Those were much more wicked to step on. Both were littering the ground in those days.

Last edited by jswinden; 02-22-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #188
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
In the early 60s I used to scour the town for discarded bottles to bring to the store for the deposit.

And, like many hippies in the late 60s-early 70s, I used to make chains out of the fully removable pop-tops from cans.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #189
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
In the early 60s I used to scour the town for discarded bottles to bring to the store for the deposit.
I did the same thing; usually with friends. We'd get together early Saturday morning and one of us would bring a wagon. We'd then search for pop bottles. Our goal was to collect enough to pay for a movie and some treats. When we had enough bottles, we'd cash them in and head for the movie theater. We'd get some popcorn, candy, and a drink and sit in the middle. We hated being in the first rows.

Our preferred genre was sci-fi, but we also loved westerns and horror flicks. What was cool is that the movies were usually double features and included previews for coming attractions, a cartoon, a newsreel, and an episodic serial. After all that, we finally got to watch a couple of cool movies. Sometimes we'd stay and watch it all over again.

Thus went a typical Saturday in my pre-teen/ early teen days. I miss that experience.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #190
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
And, like many hippies in the late 60s-early 70s, I used to make chains out of the fully removable pop-tops from cans.
I used to make gum wrapper chains

tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #191
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I did the same thing; usually with friends. We'd get together early Saturday morning and one of us would bring a wagon. We'd then search for pop bottles. Our goal was to collect enough to pay for a movie and some treats. When we had enough bottles, we'd cash them in and head for the movie theater. We'd get some popcorn, candy, and a drink and sit in the middle. We hated being in the first rows.

Our preferred genre was sci-fi, but we also loved westerns and horror flicks. What was cool is that the movies were usually double features and included previews for coming attractions, a cartoon, a newsreel, and an episodic serial. After all that, we finally got to watch a couple of cool movies. Sometimes we'd stay and watch it all over again.

Thus went a typical Saturday in my pre-teen/ early teen days. I miss that experience.
I grew up in a small rural town we had an old run down movie theater that only opened on the weekends. They had Saturday matinees which included an A movie and a B movie with shorts in between for 25 cents. A good deal for 1960s kids!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #192
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I can't tell you what movies in the late 70's because I rarely went or if I did my best friend's boyfriend always paid. She wasn't allowed to date so I always went with her.
Years later, my very much younger stepsister tried to use me to meet her boyfriend. I am 13 years older than her. I did the big sister thing and let her know how to pull that one off. The look on her face was priceless.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #193
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When I was very young in the late forties, the merchants in the small town we lived in would get together and pay for "free movies" on Saturday nights. They hired a guy who had a 16 mm projector to show "B" movies on a bed sheet attached to the side of a warehouse. Everyone would bring blankets and chairs to the vacant lot next to the warehouse and watch the movie.

My Da would give me a dime or quarter (if he was well off that week), and I'd go to the grocery store and buy a Coke and a candy bar for a nickle apiece. If I had anything left over I could buy a small toy for a dime or so.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:37 AM   #194
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
When I was very young in the late forties, the merchants in the small town we lived in would get together and pay for "free movies" on Saturday nights. They hired a guy who had a 16 mm projector to show "B" movies on a bed sheet attached to the side of a warehouse. Everyone would bring blankets and chairs to the vacant lot next to the warehouse and watch the movie.

My Da would give me a dime or quarter (if he was well off that week), and I'd go to the grocery store and buy a Coke and a candy bar for a nickle apiece. If I had anything left over I could buy a small toy for a dime or so.
My dad (born in 1937) had a similar experience growing up except the bed sheet would be tied between two trees on the town square.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #195
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I can't tell you what movies in the late 70's because I rarely went or if I did my best friend's boyfriend always paid. She wasn't allowed to date so I always went with her.
Years later, my very much younger stepsister tried to use me to meet her boyfriend. I am 13 years older than her. I did the big sister thing and let her know how to pull that one off. The look on her face was priceless.
Star Wars, The black Hole, The Wilderness family, and I'm sure there were other well loved films that were new back then. I rarely could go either as my dad was often laid off (then later he got sick) so that we couldn't afford extras like the movies often. It was always fun when we got to go though.