Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #181
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
NatCh -I dunno,"the doom that came to sarnath" seems like anything BUT a sci fi story.

ps:should I make a general Lovecraft/Weird fiction thread?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #182
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't read that story, so I can only answer in general terms, so here goes.

It depends on your definition of Science Fiction. Mine is: a story which is dependent on a technology that does not exist at the time of the writing. Note that they story is not necessarily about the fictional technology, only that it requires that fictional technology in order for the story to work.

If you want to start such a thread then you should, absolutely.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #183
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
NatCh, when I read your definition what jumped to my mind (isn't it interesting how the thoughts that enter my mind quickest are where I see something inadequate with someone else's thoughts) were two of my favorite books which contain no technology at all: Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" (a guy who uncontrollably time trips) and Le Guin's "The Lathe of Heaven" (a guy who uncontrollably changes reality when he dreams). Would you classify these as SciFi or something else? Myself, I'm not sure. I only know that I like these kinds of stories the best.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #184
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries, that's how the intelligent improve their views, by bouncing them off others. "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Ah, now we're getting into the definition of "technology!"

Time travel and reality manipulation are favorite SciFi pretenses, but they could also be some sort of magic or mystical thing, I suppose. If you want to really pick those nits it'll come down to the actual mechanism for doing those things which the author has in mind. Could he be thinking of some sort of genetic mutation that causes these things? I'd call that SciFi. How about some sort of arcane artifact that the character has in his possession but may not even know about? I'd put that one in Fantasy. When he doesn't say, then you get to decide for yourself, but most folks will say SciFi, simply because that's how those ideas have generally been grouped.

Then again, you know what they say about technology and magic: Any technology that is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced ... or something like that.

In any case, when you try to draw arbitrary categories on anything you'll always have a few that don't really fit anywhere, and get kind of glommed on somewhere "close enough." That's why I specified that as being my definition (I got it off L. Ron Hubbard, by the way), I wasn't trying to be definitive.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #185
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
NatCh, when I read your definition what jumped to my mind (isn't it interesting how the thoughts that enter my mind quickest are where I see something inadequate with someone else's thoughts) were two of my favorite books which contain no technology at all: Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" (a guy who uncontrollably time trips) and Le Guin's "The Lathe of Heaven" (a guy who uncontrollably changes reality when he dreams). Would you classify these as SciFi or something else? Myself, I'm not sure. I only know that I like these kinds of stories the best.
I think fantasy covers these kinds of stories. SF is particular that there are a set of technology advances or even assumptions (such as warp drive) that carry the story but otherwise it has to follows the laws of physics and other science disciplines. Fantasy has no such restriction.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #186
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I buy all that. But just for clarification, would the two of you say that a story about a civilization (not an advanced one compared to our "civilization", such as it is) on another planet somewhere would not be SciFi but fantasy or something else, right?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #187
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
I think I buy all that. But just for clarification, would the two of you say that a story about a civilization (not an advanced one compared to our "civilization", such as it is) on another planet somewhere would not be SciFi but fantasy or something else, right?
Hmm. That's a good one. I'll assume you don't mean a human civilization, because that would require interstellar travel at some point which would be SciFi (such as Anne McCaffrey's Pern series).

That would probably be classified as SciFi, simply because it involves "aliens" which are usually grouped that way (another case of arbitrary groups not always fitting perfectly). You could probably make a decent argument that it's simply fiction, rather than Science Fiction, but I doubt many people would find it a compelling argument.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #188
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Not enough data. If the world that they are about has features that do not match those of known physics but matches physics and science after a given set of assumptions you have to buy into at the beginning then it might be science fiction or with no assumptions just fiction with another subcategory. (nothing is really just fiction IMHO). Now if it is a world like Narnia, or middle earth then it is fantasy.

Does that help? Maybe we need a wiki on genres.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #189
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Does that help? Maybe we need a wiki on genres.

Dale
especially since now we can use thread prefixes and tags to define the genres of the books we upload... i think a wiki is a good idea.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #190
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Thanks. I didn't have something in particular in mind. Just trying to understand the logic behind the classification that people use. In the end, it's just a label and I try not to get too concerned about those. Aliens, huh? Just for fun, if we go back 500 years or more, would fictional works about civilizations in distant lands have been properly classified as scifi or fantasy using the current definition?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #191
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
especially since now we can use thread prefixes and tags to define the genres of the books we upload... i think a wiki is a good idea.
But I don't see "Unutterable Silliness" in Alex's list.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #192
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But I don't see "Unutterable Silliness" in Alex's list.
quick, tell him to add it !! around here, that is going to be indispensable...
Old 04-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #193
zelda_pinwheel

and speaking of which, the conversation over here has been markedly un-silly lately. snap out of it, or i'm going to have to have a word or two.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #194
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Just for fun, if we go back 500 years or more, would fictional works about civilizations in distant lands have been properly classified as scifi or fantasy using the current definition?
Well, back when the world was flat, obviously there were no distant lands, so it's SciFi, naturally!

Seriously, though, I'd call it just fiction, unless they were somehow depending on some not-then existent scientific device (very unlikely in the 1500's) for the story to work.

We're (mostly Alex) working on a list of categories for the rest of the forum, so I'm sure there will be some appropriate category for this thread "So far off topic that you can't see it from here" most likely.

All right, now snapping out.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #195
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
We're (mostly Alex) working on a list of categories for the rest of the forum, so I'm sure there will be some appropriate category for this thread "So far off topic that you can't see it from here" most likely.
can we please PLEASE have that verbatim as a category ??? that would be brilliant !!!

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, emotifaction, emotifactor, mozzle, mozzle of mozzle, natch's spleen, taylor514ce, unutterable silliness