Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #181
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
  • I don't own a laptop; and if I did, then why would I need a tablet?

You don't need bananas either, but you know you want them.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #182
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
They are answering our points with silliness.
i was totally serious. why would you bring movies on acamping trip on the Oregon coast? theres plenty to do and I know if I tried to bring anything electronic beyond a cell phone for emergencies my wife would kick my behind

Quote:
Because green bananas don't taste good

oh. right then.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 07-03-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #183
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
delete please
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #184
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Quote:
The AirStash is a portable network media server that’s small enough to fit in your pocket, has a built-in battery, is small enough to fit in your pocket and connects to your laptop or smartphone using WiFi.
I don't have WiFi where I vacation.
The AirStash is the wifi hotspot (albeit, one that's not connected to the internet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Just buy the tablet with the size memory you need. If eight not fit your needs then please do not buy eight. Buy bigger and bigger.
Sometimes, bigger isn't available. The Nexus 7 caps out at 16GB which is still quite chafing for me (albeit something I'm willing to overlook due to the combination of 1280x800 resolution, 340g weight and $250 price). The iPad tops out at 64GB and I frequently have to deal with "not enough space" messages.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #185
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
On reason is yo avoid having one more hole in the device were moist can come in.
You think that moisture goes inside the device through the card slot?

Quote:
Another reason is that they can use higher quality memory inside and trust it in a way they cannot do if the customer just can plug in any memory.
And what stops a manufacturer from using higher quality memory inside if they also add a card slot?

Quote:
Also if the momory cannot be removed then you can simplify and make the operating system more robust. And so on.
Because when you choose an operating system you are looking for simplicity? Isn't that like going backwards?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #186
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Because when you choose an operating system you are looking for simplicity? Isn't that like going backwards?
Currently the majority of tablet customers are indeed choosing the OS most criticised for choosing simplicity over functionality.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #187
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
You need laptop (not tablet) for trips too. lightweight and lots of memory for movies.

maybe tablet not right device for you.
A tablet is smaller and more portable. It's the right device when it has expandable storage. I got rid of my Netbook when I picked up a HP TouchPad. I no longer want the bulk and weight of a laptop.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #188
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
A tablet is smaller and more portable. It's the right device when it has expandable storage. I got rid of my Netbook when I picked up a HP TouchPad. I no longer want the bulk and weight of a laptop.
Reasonable decision. I need to use a laptop because there are some apps I run which are Windows only, but if those apps will run under Windows 8 on Microsoft's recently-announced "Surface" tablet, I can certainly see myself ditching my laptop in favour of such a device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #189
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But the WiFi is in the storage device and in your tablet. That is all you need. So of course you have it if your table have WiFi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The AirStash is the wifi hotspot (albeit, one that's not connected to the internet).
Thanks; didn't know that.

But; it's also over $100. That still rules the Nexus 7 out, since the combined cost is more expensive than other SD equipped tablets.

For the same money as the AirStash, I could buy a new 9" portable DVD player.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #190
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You don't need bananas either, but you know you want them.
Bananas I need, but a tablet I don't.

More and more, I'm leaning toward a portable DVD player to solve my problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #191
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks; didn't know that.
Yes, so called "WiFi Direct", where two WiFi devices talk directly to one another, rather than connecting to a WiFi network, is something which most tablets support.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #192
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Reasonable decision. I need to use a laptop because there are some apps I run which are Windows only, but if those apps will run under Windows 8 on Microsoft's recently-announced "Surface" tablet, I can certainly see myself ditching my laptop in favour of such a device.
I can see that. Laptops are on their way out. Soon enough, tablets will provide a full computer experience. I wish Microsoft success and hope they target their audience correctly.

There's no such thing as a one-tablet-fits-all solution. Just like laptops, there's room for all uses from budget consumption only devices to high-end enterprise driven devices. The sooner manufacturers realize this and start producing multiple models, the more success they'll have.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #193
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i was totally serious. why would you bring movies on acamping trip on the Oregon coast? theres plenty to do and I know if I tried to bring anything electronic beyond a cell phone for emergencies my wife would kick my behind
Because I do have down time and prefer videos to reading while camping. Also, I'll go during bad weather and love the combination of rain and surf. That involves lots of down time and videos come in handy then; along with music and audiobooks.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #194
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Lately I find myself doing a lot of low level computing on my Galaxy Note with the aid of a foldable BT keyboard, such as entering this post.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #195
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm not sure why there is so heated discussion about the lack of an SD card. When folks had this debated arguments for iDevices and Kindles it made sense. They are the only devices allowed to access their ecosystem (at the time of the k2). For Android devices there are more devices you can shake a stick at. Of all form factors and prices.

There are Android devices specifically tailored for watching movies and listing to music. For about the same price you can get one of these devices with 250GB. Hey $200 is the most you go but still want to watch movies and read books buy a Kobo Vox.

For me what was most important was to have the highest res on a 7" tablet with a $200 price point. A precise screen response was also necessary since I highlight a lot on the books I read. Great performance was the second highest need on my list.

Would I like expandable memory heck yeah, am I disappointing yes. Will that be enough to deter me. No the pros far out way the cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I was totally serious. why would you bring movies on a camping trip on the Oregon coast?
I agree I can't phantom the idea of taking TV/movies to a camping trip, for me they are polar actives. I just don't know how you can relax and enjoy a surrounding when you are engrossed in a TV show.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet