Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-04-2024, 11:30 AM   #181
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Finally got around to signing up for a nonresident card at Stark Library. Of course, now that I've signed up I'm having trouble finding titles I want, and the number of holds on upcoming titles from popular authors is pretty daunting.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 10:43 AM   #182
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Bigme B751C, Kindle Voyage
Just got an email today that starting July 1, Metropolitan will no longer allow paid out-of-state accounts. Mine was just renewed in May.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2024, 11:59 AM   #183
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFlanny View Post
Just got an email today that starting July 1, Metropolitan will no longer allow paid out-of-state accounts. Mine was just renewed in May.
You beat me to it. I also just got the email; I had renewed in March. I'm sad to see the policy change; I liked Metropolitan. Metro bought multiple copies of popular new releases--they seemed to try to keep the number waiting to around five per copy, significantly better than any other library I use. I also liked that they tended to make prereleases available to hold much earlier than my other libraries. Oh well.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:24 PM   #184
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I just read that.

A real shame. I guess they were overwhelmed by the out of staters (like me).

Last edited by copyrite; 06-25-2024 at 04:06 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:38 PM   #185
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once upon a time I was told

Date: Wed, Apr 5, 2023, 09:50
Subject: RE: Out of State Library Card
In the future, we are probably only going to offer annual fee cards to Oklahoma residents – but we’ll continue to honor any existing card belonging to out-of-state residents. You can respond to this email with a picture of your ID and the rest of your info, if you want. Thanks for your interest in the Metro Library!

But I guess they changed their policy?
Advert
Old 06-25-2024, 02:39 PM   #186
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Bigme B751C, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm sad to see the policy change; I liked Metropolitan. Metro bought multiple copies of popular new releases--they seemed to try to keep the number waiting to around five per copy, significantly better than any other library I use. I also liked that they tended to make prereleases available to hold much earlier than my other libraries. Oh well.
Yes, and they bought books I requested very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Once upon a time I was told

Date: Wed, Apr 5, 2023, 09:50
Subject: RE: Out of State Library Card
In the future, we are probably only going to offer annual fee cards to Oklahoma residents – but we’ll continue to honor any existing card belonging to out-of-state residents. You can respond to this email with a picture of your ID and the rest of your info, if you want. Thanks for your interest in the Metro Library!

But I guess they changed their policy?
Both times I paid for my card, they said this, but nothing ever came of it until now.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 06:11 PM   #187
copyrite
Wizard

I thought I'd ask (a librarian)

Quote:
Ask A Librarian

5:54 PM (15 minutes ago)

to me

Thank you for contacting Metro Library. On July 1st, you should be receiving an email that clarifies all the various policies. But yes, at the beginning of the month, we will not be able to offer a renewal option for Annual Fee cards for individuals that live outside of the state of Oklahoma.

Your account currently is good until 4/4/2025 and we will not lapse the account prematurely, but please note that we will not be able to offer a renewal option when in expires.

We are sorry about the inconvenience that this may occur. Please let us know if we can answer any more questions.

Best,
Old 06-25-2024, 06:12 PM   #188
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I emailed Metropolitan and was able to renew my card for another year. I must pay fee before July 1st.

I will miss them too. They had a great selection of titles that interest me.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 06:53 PM   #189
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I emailed Metropolitan and was able to renew my card for another year.
I also did. My expiration date was July 24, so the renewal wasn't very early.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 09:14 PM   #190
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Can you renew early to get an extra year?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 09:21 PM   #191
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Can you renew early to get an extra year?
Apache

Based on this thread, I say -- yes, but it depends on how early. If you expire in 2024, I would email and try.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:26 PM   #192
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Based on this thread, I say -- yes, but it depends on how early. If you expire in 2024, I would email and try.
I would be careful about this and verify with a librarian. My expiration date was early April 2024; I renewed a week before that at the end of March. The new expiration date is one year from the date I renewed, so I lost a week. I suspect that if I tried to renew now, the expiration date would be June 2025, gaining me only a couple of months for the $70 full-year fee.
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #193
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
My card expires July 17th 2024 and they let me renew for another year. I checked and it now says July 17th 2025.

They are very fast in responding to emails so please don't hesitate to ask for an extension.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM   #194
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
My card expires July 17th 2024 and they let me renew for another year. I checked and it now says July 17th 2025.

They are very fast in responding to emails so please don't hesitate to ask for an extension.
I've just done it, as my card expires on September 13th. Let's hope they allow me too.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #195
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Arg! May I ask people not to say "BPL" or "Metropolitan"? I don't know what you mean. BPL for me means Boston Public Library. I did have a Brooklyn card before they axed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
The Goethe Institut has a large collection of German language eBooks for borrowing, with some English sprinkled in.
I have one of these and it's pretty good.

For me, a library with lots of books is important as I'm looking for the less mainstream books. I'd like to try the LA library, but the latest info says no non-resident. https://lapl.org/about-us/contact-us/e-card/faq
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote