Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #181
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by evianluw View Post
Yeah, holding on a word only means looking up the word in dictionary to me. I guess there are no many people looking up words in wiki quite often cause it requires network connection which consumes the battery.
It depends with me normally I only enable the network when I need to check for new books or updates. But there will be times I will enable the network and just leave it on. Why there are times I just want to exercise the battery, deplete it and then recharge.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #182
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I noticed something else with the new software. As soon as I installed it and connected to the Internet, my Voyage downloaded the Oxford English-Spanish dictionary. My Kindle is in Spanish and I'm living in Costa Rica. (I still have both the British and American dictionaries, along with the DRAE Spanish dictionary.) I will never use this since I am a native English speaker, however it will be a nice addition for Spanish language users who like to read English books and who are not yet comfortable using an English language dictionary.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #183
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I updated to the new software and I use Bookerly now because I am not too particular but it certainly didn't jump out at me as way better and more readable.

I don't mind the swipe action to get between dictionary definition/Wikipedia when you long press on a word.

Overall I am very happy with my Voyage and to be honest all these little software tweaks don't matter much to me.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #184
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I don't mind the swipe action to get between dictionary definition/Wikipedia when you long press on a word.
You don't have to swipe, the tabs are still there just in a dropdown menu if you click on dictionary with the arrow down. Takes 2 clicks unstead of 1 previously, but works without swiping.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #185
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Apparently it's a problem with those two books I re-downloaded. I found a book with advanced typesetting enabled, with hyphenation. The margins are normal.
I have updated my Voyage now. So far I've found one book with the obnoxiously large margins. Annoying.

I've been reading for a few hours with Bookerly now. My eyes are adjusting to it. I like it better in e-ink than on my tablets. It's not too light for me. However my preferred font is Palatino which is similar.

I miss the tab format for look-ups. Although I'm sure in time I'll get over it since there's not much choice but to adapt.

I'm not crazy about hyphenation. I prefer not to have it. However, I like how the enhanced typesetting improves the spacing between words and even leaves the occasional line with a ragged right edge.

So far not too many of my books have the features enabled.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #186
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Also, they appear to have dropped 'kerning' altogether. Having studied the enhanced and unenhanced versions extensively, there is absolutely no difference between the two formats in regards to kerning. For example, check out the word 'friend' - in both cases the f curls over the R. Especially noticeable in Baskerville. I can see ligatures great but as far as I'm concerned, there are no differences in kerning! I cannot see any difference in character spacing whatsoever. There is no difference between word sizes at all.

Last edited by cerem0ny; 08-15-2015 at 06:38 PM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #187
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
My thoughts on Bookerly.... I have the PW2 and the font seems to be crisper. I am happy with it..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #188
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have updated my Voyage now. So far I've found one book with the obnoxiously large margins. Annoying.

I've been reading for a few hours with Bookerly now. My eyes are adjusting to it. I like it better in e-ink than on my tablets. It's not too light for me. However my preferred font is Palatino which is similar.

I miss the tab format for look-ups. Although I'm sure in time I'll get over it since there's not much choice but to adapt.

I'm not crazy about hyphenation. I prefer not to have it. However, I like how the enhanced typesetting improves the spacing between words and even leaves the occasional line with a ragged right edge.

So far not too many of my books have the features enabled.
Thanks for sharing. We have similar views.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #189
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Smile Left/Right margins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I found one immediately: The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I reported it as a help case to Amazon.

Everyone should do this so they are aware of the issue.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:32 AM   #190
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't understand the fuss about Bookerly, it's too light for me. I can't use it on either the Fires or my Voyage.
Until I read this thread, I thought I was the only one who could not see the emperor's new clothes.

On my PW2, Bookerly is distinctly pale grey. Helvetica, on the other hand is black. I do not like reading pale grey fonts. THis is far more important to me than whether or not my font has serifs.

I shall be sticking with Helvetica for now.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I am reading about Bookerly, it sounds like there could be only one version of the font for both LCD and eInk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #192
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Until I read this thread, I thought I was the only one who could not see the emperor's new clothes.

On my PW2, Bookerly is distinctly pale grey. Helvetica, on the other hand is black. I do not like reading pale grey fonts. THis is far more important to me than whether or not my font has serifs.

I shall be sticking with Helvetica for now.
I upgraded my Voyage yesterday. I too find Bookerly a little light. I really like the boldness of Helvetica, so I'm sticking with that too.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #193
mandy314
Connoisseur
mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mandy314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I am reading about Bookerly, it sounds like there could be only one version of the font for both LCD and eInk.
No. The Fire-LCD version is 1.000, the software update version is 1.010 (no LCD in name fields). Filesizes are considerable different (new ones are larger). They've upped the x-height and the advance-width; overall the font is bolder, but in a subtle way. I've had both versions on my trusty old PW1 and imho the e-ink one has more contrast for sure.

Now - is kerning working or not. Most fonts have an undercutting kerning for the "Yo", "Ye" pairs. Can someone check again - thank you.
mandy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #194
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy314 View Post
No. The Fire-LCD version is 1.000, the software update version is 1.010 (no LCD in name fields). Filesizes are considerable different (new ones are larger). They've upped the x-height and the advance-width; overall the font is bolder, but in a subtle way. I've had both versions on my trusty old PW1 and imho the e-ink one has more contrast for sure.

Now - is kerning working or not. Most fonts have an undercutting kerning for the "Yo", "Ye" pairs. Can someone check again - thank you.
Nope, it aint. Like I said, there's no difference. All words are the same sizes, this 'character spacing' they talk about does not exist.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #195
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I upgraded my Voyage yesterday. I too find Bookerly a little light. I really like the boldness of Helvetica, so I'm sticking with that too.
maybe if everyone who thinks bookerly is too light sends amazon an email they may listen
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote