Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #181
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Try calibrate the meter, you have to discharge the battery completely. Then recharge it completely 100%, and don't charge in between, repeat two or three times.
First discharge cycle was quick: 4 hours sleep got it from 49% to 22%, 15' reading got it to the first warning at 10%, 12' more closed the One down. When I plugged it in it was at 2%. 100' for full charge.

I started reading a PDF and it was ok. Would have been better if the slide for adjusting size had more steps. I wonder whether that would be possible to patch.

Meanwhile, more comparisons, with the Glo HD and the H2O this time, to show why it will be difficult to go back to the smaller sizes. My camera focuses on the center - the Glo HD for instance is as sharp as the One.

From left to right: sleep screen, light at 0%, at 50%, last two at 100%.

I patched both the H2O and the Glo HD, which is why the fonts (default editor, looks like Georgia) are thicker there than in the One.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2061r.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	151357   Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2075r.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	151358   Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2073r.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	151359   Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2071r.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	151360   Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2077r.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	151361  

Last edited by anacreon; 09-03-2016 at 03:39 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:44 AM   #182
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
First discharge cycle was quick: 4 hours sleep got it from 49% to 22%, 15' reading got it to the first warning at 10%, 12' more closed the One down. When I plugged it in it was at 2%. 100' for full charge.
I'll be amazed if "calibrating" the battery meter will cure your problems. Far more likely the battery is duff or a novel you transferred has corrupted causing the cpu to max out.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #183
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dictionaries

So, now that the French dictionary is more accessible, and Nederlands isn't, I have renamed the Littré as dicthtml-pt.zip in my Glo HD and Aura H2o that still are on 3.15.0, so still have, contrary to the One,
* somewhat better German single language and translation dictionaries;
* good Italian single language dictionary;
* a French single language dictionary that is at least a little more extensive than the new one.

And once my One is stabilized, I'll replace all the mentioned dictionaries with those on my Glo HD.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #184
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
I'll be amazed if "calibrating" the battery meter will cure your problems. Far more likely the battery is duff or a novel you transferred has corrupted causing the cpu to max out.
Well, at least 10 hours after full charge, mostly sleep and some use, the battery is still at 74%, which while not good is a distinct improvement. I'll have to wait longer for the second full discharge, but I'm hopeful.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #185
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So, now that the French dictionary is more accessible, and Nederlands isn't, I have renamed the Littré as dicthtml-pt.zip in my Glo HD and Aura H2o that still are on 3.15.0, so still have, contrary to the One,
* somewhat better German single language and translation dictionaries;
* good Italian single language dictionary;
* a French single language dictionary that is at least a little more extensive than the new one.

And once my One is stabilized, I'll replace all the mentioned dictionaries with those on my Glo HD.
All the devices should have the same dictionaries. There is only one version of each dictionary available to download. The French dictionary changed in July. If you have synced the older devices since then, you will have the same as on the Aura One.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #186
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Quote:
Well, at least 10 hours after full charge, mostly sleep and some use, the battery is still at 74%, which while not good is a distinct improvement. I'll have to wait longer for the second full discharge, but I'm hopeful.
You should lose virtually no battery life on sleep over 10hrs, something is draining your battery. With an hours reading losing around 5%, something is not right. The battery meter calibration is a red herring.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #187
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All the devices should have the same dictionaries. There is only one version of each dictionary available to download. The French dictionary changed in July. If you have synced the older devices since then, you will have the same as on the Aura One.
Yes, but I've kept the Glo HD and the H2O on 3.15.0 precisely because of the dictionaries, not only the file themselves, but the hassle / impossibility to access them: when you call a French word that those awful dictionaries don't recognize because it is not the root form, you couldn't even enter the root in later releases - you can with One for French (not much use with that ridiculous new dictionary). Also, what I'll have to bear for the One is that even if you call for full page definitions, it will always access English instead of the defined language of the book, and you have to go through yet another step. Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué.

I'll stay on 3.15 for my previous devices, but can't for the One.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #188
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ Is there a French > English dictionary. If I look up bu is it smart enough to know it's boire?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #189
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
^^^ Is there a French > English dictionary. If I look up bu is it smart enough to know it's boire?
Yes and yes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #190
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Question for the Aura One owners; Is there an OverDrive tile on the home screen?
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #191
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
Question for the Aura One owners; Is there an OverDrive tile on the home screen?
No, it's in the settings. There actually wouldn't be any reason to have a tile on the homescreen since it's integrated into the store and the only reason to go into "Overdrive" would be to change your account. You can filter by Overdrive books that are on your device in your library on the device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:26 AM   #192
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

I started reading a PDF and it was ok. Would have been better if the slide for adjusting size had more steps. I wonder whether that would be possible to patch.

Meanwhile, more comparisons, with the Glo HD and the H2O this time, to show why it will be difficult to go back to the smaller sizes. My camera focuses on the center - the Glo HD for instance is as sharp as the One.

From left to right: sleep screen, light at 0%, at 50%, last two at 100%.

I patched both the H2O and the Glo HD, which is why the fonts (default editor, looks like Georgia) are thicker there than in the One.
Oh my goodness, are those fonts the same size? There's so much more text, even compared to the large H2O! I may have to seriously consider replacing my H2O.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:49 AM   #193
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I never use them, but the French-English dictionary is 1549 ko, the English-French 1190, which means it can't be very extensive. I checked bu: it says boire, which you then have to call to have a translation - it should go directly to boire.

I have the 3.15.0 of the German translation dictionary (9818 ko instead of the present day 905), and if I type bebe, it goes directly to beben, and it gives translations, which seem fairly extensive, but no explanation - my paper German-French dictionary is better for that. Still it is better than the French-English

This is why I always choose single language dictionaries in readers, when decent (the German in 3.15.0 is a little better than the new).

Last edited by anacreon; 09-04-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:56 AM   #194
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Oh my goodness, are those fonts the same size? There's so much more text, even compared to the large H2O! I may have to seriously consider replacing my H2O.
As identical as I could make them. As I said, it is difficult to go back to the others for serious reading (the Glo HD is perfect for commuting). The One is so much better for serious fiction, poetry and non-fiction, especially books with many tables and graphs. It makes a real difference even compared with the H2O on which I read those type of books.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:08 AM   #195
emma57
emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emma57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Tolino Vision 3HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I have a same problem with you and my second Aura One has a same problem, too.
(I exchanged it with a new one because it has a big white spot but my first Aura One's battery drained so fast.)

I noticed that there is a bug in option sync and update (Synchronisation et mise a jour)
Automatic synchronization remains active, I can't turn off this option.

Last night, I charged it 100%, read 3 hours Wi-Fi off, brightness 4%, comfort light off, battery had fallen 85%. Put it to sleep mode for night, and this morning the battery was dead.
emma57 is offline   Reply With Quote