Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #181
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Finally updated with updated USBNet scripts that work out-of-the-box on the Elipsa, the fancy new updated strace patch, and an FBInk build that works on the Elipsa .

(Along with the usual updates).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:35 AM   #182
Sky17
Sky17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
When compiling numpy with crossenv, what toolchain have you used? I would like to cross-compile something that uses cython.
Sky17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2021, 06:07 AM   #183
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Sky17: Cross Python is not for the faint of heart.

c.f., the insanity that is my build script.

The TC part of it has been made slightly more user-friendly in an offshoot of this script, koxtoolchain.

And as far as Python is concerned, a cross build of Python itself is already a "fun" experience, but a cross build of third-party Python modules with C/C++ code enters Lovecraftian territory...
See the numerous rants about it in the script, as there is no single, sane, official way to do this.
numpy is an even more special snowflake, because its build-system is it in itself a nightmare on top of a nightmare, so I just went with crossenv for that one...
Old 09-19-2021, 09:58 AM   #184
Mr. Nietzsche
Mr. Nietzsche began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've installed this package on my Forma and everything seems to work well. For now only to have a standalone SSH server. But I noticed that the Wifi keeps stopping and I have to reconnect again. Is this caused by this package? Or did I just never notice it before?

I also saw that netcat and tcpsvd are running and keeping some ports open. Are these parts of your package? If yes, how can I disable them? Found out how to disable inetd and passwordless ssh but nothing regarding these services. Again: I never did a portscan on my Kobo before installing the package. So I don't know what the default state is.

And sorry if that already got mentioned in the thread, but I couldn't find the information in the opening comment. Just in case I want to uninstall this package, how would I do that?
Mr. Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #185
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There's a hidden nickel setting to keep the wifi alive, c.f., NickelMenu for an easy way to toggle it .

I can't vouch for what nickel does in debug mode, but inetd & sshd are the only network services started by this .
There's no real way to tweak that short of editing the startup script (/usr/local/stuff/bin/stuff-daemons.sh).

There's an uninstall package bundled (in the KoboRoot tarball found inside the uninstall folder of the package).

On mobile right now, so I can't quite remember the paths, but it's probably somewhere in /usr/local/stuff or something ;p.

EDIT: There, links & proper paths .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-19-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Advert
Old 09-20-2021, 12:08 AM   #186
speedyg0nz
speedyg0nz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, I'm in the market for an ePaper device for note taking and came across this thread. The "hackability" of the device was one of the factors considered, and it originally came down to the reMarkable tablet and the upcoming PineNote. So I was really glad to see that the Kobo Elipsa is also well supported in this area.

There's a use case that I would like to run by the forum before committing to getting the Elipsa. Assuming that I am able to generate an image of my monthly Google Calendar on demand on an external server, is it possible for me to run a script on the Kobo to periodically download this image (e.g. daily), change the screensaver and refresh the screen (if sleeping)? I'm thinking of using the Kobo as a desk calendar when it's not in use, and having the ability for the calendar to be automatically updated to reflect the new/updated events will be a real plus.
speedyg0nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #187
Mr. Nietzsche
Mr. Nietzsche began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There's a hidden nickel setting to keep the wifi alive, c.f., NickelMenu for an easy way to toggle it .
Thanks!

Quote:
I can't vouch for what nickel does in debug mode, but inetd & sshd are the only network services started by this .
I found something here. Apparently the netcat stuff is a Kobo thing when you enable the developer mode. The device then starts sending logs over Port 5000 and 5001.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...73&postcount=4

The FTP thing I still have to figure out.

Quote:
There's an uninstall package bundled (in the KoboRoot tarball found inside the uninstall folder of the package).
Thanks again! You Sir, are really helpful, here and in the other thread. I appreciate that.
Mr. Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #188
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Monthly-ish update. Includes Sage/Libra 2 support (probably ;p) for stuff where it matters.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:28 AM   #189
syvlabs
syvlabs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Compiling python libs which require gcc

Hey NiLuJe, using your KoboStuff and it works great! Just running into 1 problem -- would you know how to compile python libs which requre gcc? In particular when I'm doing a pip install on certain things and python is building the binaries:

Code:

python -m pip install pycryptodome
error: command 'arm-kobo-linux-gnueabihf-gcc' failed: No such file or directory
How can I get gcc in kobo to make this work?

Thanks again!
syvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:45 PM   #190
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not from within a (stock) Kobo, you'll have to go through the pain of cross-compiling a full Python stack.

See the python sections of the x-compile script for at least three different ways to achieve that (because Python). The least painful of which might be to just rely on crossenv (c.f., how numpy is built).

Expect lots of cussing and ranting in the comments.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:46 AM   #191
matejdro
matejdro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (kobo_alyssum)
Thanks for your work here.

A question though: where do I edit sshd config? Namely, I want to disable PasswordAuthentication.

I tried editing /usr/local/niluje/usbnet/etc/sshd_config, but settings do not appear to stick, even after rebooting the device.
matejdro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #192
broodj3ham
broodj3ham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 2
Hi NiLuJe,

first of all, thanks a lot for your work!

I saw in your first post that you also list sqlite3, but when I try to run it, I'm getting "-ash: sqlite3: not found"

Any ideas on how to fix that?
broodj3ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:47 PM   #193
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It's part of the Python distribution, not the Core package (for... reasons ;p).
Old 03-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #194
visionary
visionary began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
USBMS toggle script on build 4.31.19086

Hi,

I am seeing the following error when using the usbnet-toggle script.

[admin@io root]# usbnet-toggle
* Switching from USBMS to USBNet . . .
insmod: can't insert '/drivers/mx6sll-ntx/usb/gadget/configfs.ko': invalid module format

In dmesg, I see the following error:
configfs: exports duplicate symbol config_group_find_item (owned by kernel)
configfs: exports duplicate symbol config_group_find_item (owned by kernel)

I'm wondering if this is the same issue as alluded to by gerhaher
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/8414

Reverting to build 4.30.18838 seems to correct the issue.

Also, how do I enable logging on my device?

Thanks.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:07 PM   #195
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That is definitely the same issue, which I thought I had taken care of (oops ;o).

What do you mean by logging, exactly? (i.e., what kind of logs are you after).

EDIT: Unlike in KOReader, this shouldn't be fatal, though. (i.e., it should still do the right thing in the end).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-23-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Tags
ssh, telnet, tools