Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #1921
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Device: K3, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@corpcd: Huh. Gremlins? :/.

Or a borked userstore? Did you have any weird issues with the storage area and/or switching to USBMS mode? (Disappearing files, stuff refusing to open, the device being mounted empty/read-only?)
Didnt see any gremlin in my Kindle, sorry. Nor my Kindle turned to be a... Papyre, for example, after midnight.

What I noticed is that ebooks were not efectively removed from the device, there were ebooks in there that I deleted a long time ago, surprisingly, and didnt apperared in the book list.
corpcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #1922
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@corpcd: Hmm, yep, that would point somewhere in the vicinity of userstore weirdness. Hopefully the factory reset should take care of that.

If it happens again, that might be more dire: hardware failure :/.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #1923
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
PW2 5.6.2.1 update safe to install on jailbroken PW2 Kindles

FYI: I've just installed the latest 5.6.2.1 firmware on my (already jailbroken) PW2 and the jailbreak has survived.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #1924
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Doitsu: Thanks for the confirmation .
Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #1925
shr3k
shr3k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2
Hi.
My kindle pw2 updated to 5.6.1 and jailbreak was outdated.
I apply Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin , which installs successfully. KUAL works but nothing else. I updated KOReader but it still doesn’t load. Kterm works but under framework user and a can’t switch to root. How can I know is there jailbreak or not? Kterm and SkipStone can run without jailbreak?
shr3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #1926
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shr3k View Post
Hi.
My kindle pw2 updated to 5.6.1 and jailbreak was outdated.
I apply Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin , which installs successfully. KUAL works but nothing else. I updated KOReader but it still doesn’t load. Kterm works but under framework user and a can’t switch to root. How can I know is there jailbreak or not? Kterm and SkipStone can run without jailbreak?
Update KUAL to the most recent version.

Everything else - just re-install.
Note that you must use MR Package Installer with firmware 5.6.x
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #1927
shr3k
shr3k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Update KUAL to the most recent version.

Everything else - just re-install.
Note that you must use MR Package Installer with firmware 5.6.x
I just saw that there is a file KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2 - KUAL 2.0 and KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 - KUAL 2.5 in documents. All this time, I ran a KUAL 2.0 instead of 2.5. Fixed now. Thanks!
shr3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:02 AM   #1928
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
FYI: I've just installed the latest 5.6.2.1 firmware on my (already jailbroken) PW2 and the jailbreak has survived.
Doitsu, I have my pw2 with old firmware (don't remember, now) and jb + usb network, just to be abble to manage better margins.
If I upgrade to 5.6.2.1, will both jb keep? What limitations would I have in the future?
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #1929
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10 View Post
Doitsu, I have my pw2 with old firmware (don't remember, now) and jb + usb network, just to be abble to manage better margins.
If I upgrade to 5.6.2.1, will both jb keep? What limitations would I have in the future?
The jailbreak will survive if you install the very latest jailbreak before installing the update. After the firmware update you'll have to re-install all packages with the MobileRead Package Installer KUAL extension.

IMHO, you should only upgrade to the 5.6.x firmware, if you're interested in the Vocabulary Builder app, the Word Wise feature, the new bilingual Oxford dictionaries* or automatic hyphenation in Russian Kindle books.

If none of this interests you, you might as well keep your current firmware, because you probably won't notice any difference.

* Your Kindle needs to be registered to download additional bilingual FIGS dictionaries provided only for 5.6.x Kindles.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #1930
NiLuJe
BLAM!

What Doitsu said, especially since you mentioned margin tweaking, a hack which isn't currently packaged for 5.6.x.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #1931
mg10
Connoisseur

Thanks for your responses
I see, it doesn't make sense to upgrade. Anyway, I don't use any hack to improve margins but editing jar files accessing by ssh. I suppose could continue to do so.
You say "re-install packages with KUAL extension", I don't have KUAL installed. What procedure should be followed?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1932
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The jailbreak installs and bridges the MKK as well as the hacked update certificates, so the next step is to sdeload the KUAL kindlet and add MobileRead Package Installer to the extensions folder. Then use MRPI^ to install any update_hackname.bin's you want/need rather than the old method of adding them to the userstore root ("/media/Kindle/", or Drive E: on Windows) and using Update Your Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #1933
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10 View Post
You say "re-install packages with KUAL extension", I don't have KUAL installed. What procedure should be followed?
Here's a quick checklist:

1. Download and install the latest jailbreak. (This may sound redundant, but is necessary because some older jailbreak versions may cause problems.)
2. Download and install the latest firmware.
3. Copy KUAL (KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2) to the Kindle documents folder. (If KUAL isn't shown on the home screen, you can select it via the Active Content drop-down menu option.)
4. Install the MobileRead Package Installer by unzipping the file to the Kindle root directory.
5. Copy all .bin packages that you want to install to the Kindle mrpackages folder, start KUAL and select Install MR Packages from the KUAL menu.
6. Install all other apps that you want to use following the instructions by the developers. (Usually, you'll only have to extract the .zip file to the Kindle root directory, which will automatically add new KUAL menu items.)
Old 05-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #1934
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'd add: until the next batch of release comes around [Soon(TM)], use packages from the snapshots, they might very well contain some critical 5.6.x handling not in the releases.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #1935
mg10
Connoisseur

Ok, I see.
I've just asked in KUAL post if should keep USB Network when installing KUAL and upgrade by explained method or uninstall it and use any similar extension in KUAL (don't know if there is one).

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch