Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #1831
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Did you try to re-install any of the hacks?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #1832
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What Ruskie said .

Because in itself, the JB is fairly inert, so, no visible effect. And an official update will wipe (mostly) everything currently installed.

As for KUAL, the exact error thrown would be a good start, and, better, the full system logs after such a failure (enter ;dm in the Homescreen's searchbar, PM me the system logs that'll dump in the documents folder) .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-16-2015 at 06:21 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #1833
chrispoupart
chrispoupart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Did you try to re-install any of the hacks?
Well... that's embarrassing.

I didn't think that KUAL would have to be reinstalled. Re-installing it got it working. I am not in the process of hanging my head in shame and re-installing the other hacks that I had.

Doh.

Thanks for your help everyone!
chrispoupart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #1834
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispoupart View Post
Well... that's embarrassing.

I didn't think that KUAL would have to be reinstalled. Re-installing it got it working. I am not in the process of hanging my head in shame and re-installing the other hacks that I had.
One shot, one kill!
System operators 1 - Developers 0!

(Just kidding, I have the utmost respect for developers, and expecially Niluje ad knc1 here who make awesome things!)
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 AM   #1835
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Is it safe to install the lastest PW2 5.6.1.0.4 update on a jail-broken PW2 with 5.6.1.0.2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Doitsu: Theoretically ^^.
BTW, Amazon has released yet another minor PW2 update, 5.6.1.0.6, which is safe to install on an already jailbroken PW2 with 5.6.1.0.2. (At least my jailbreak survived.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #1836
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Doitsu: Thanks for the heads up, I'll update the JB hotfix when I get back home later tonight.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-20-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #1837
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Has anyone compared these recent "minor" image file updates to see just what it is that Amazon has been changing?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #1838
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Not really, because they rebuild every jar no matter if there were changes or not, so you actually have to unpack them to check for changes, which is annoying, and I'm too lazy to automate that ;p.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-20-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #1839
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: Not really, because they rebuild every jar no matter if they were changes or not, so you actually have to unpack them to check for changes, which is annoying, and I'm too lazy to automate that ;p .
And I suppose all of the little loop mounted image files also.

Hmm...
I have (or at least **had**) some scripting that did comparisons between Asus media player firmware releases ....
Maybe ...
(If I can find it, and find the time.)

The thought that was in my mind, was maybe they are busy plugging JB opportunities that we haven't found yet.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #1840
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Yup, that's probably the reasoning behind some of these releases (one could check if they plugged the recent GHOST glibc thingy, for instance).
Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #1841
ellentk
Enthusiast
ellentk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 10, iPhone 7, iPadMini 4
Questions about Jailbreaking Paperwhite 1

I want to be able to transfer books to Calibre from a Paperwhite 1 running FW 5.4.4.2. The device is not jailbroken.

Which files do I need to do this? kindle-jailbreak-xx.zip, USBNetwork-xx.zip, or both? (xx replaces actual version numbers) And which version(s)?

According to the thread titled "Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus K5/PW USBNetwork," v.1.4.N of the kindle-jailbreak zip file provides "Proper Paperwhite Support." But the only file that's attached to this thread is v. 1.14.N, which contains bridge files, which seem to be used for updating already jailbroken devices. As my paperwhite is not jailbroken, can I use v.1.14N? If not, where can I download v1.4.N?

Also, as I just want to transfer the books to Calibre, would using the USBNetwork file be all I need? And if so, what version for the paperwhite 1 and where can I find it?

Thanks for any help.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #1842
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Moderator Notice
Questions about jailbreaking belong in the Developer's Corner, not the general Kindle forum. Moved post to... the Developer's Corner.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #1843
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The first post of the jailbreak thread (now this one) has all the details needed in the Installation spoiler. USBNetwork is a separate hack, you might want it, or you might not.

Note that calibre can manage the books on your device without any need of jailbreaking, both moving books to calibre (the send-to-device toolbar button) and adding books from the Kindle (either Add books ==> navigate to your Kindle's drive letter ad select books from the documents folder, OR click the Device toolbar icon, select books, right-click and select "Add books to library".)
Although jailbreaking opens the gate to other useful things -- like collections management from calibre, screensavers, USBNetwork for remote shell access, etc.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-23-2015 at 08:25 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #1844
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
I want to be able to transfer books to Calibre from a Paperwhite 1 running FW 5.4.4.2. The device is not jailbroken.

Which files do I need to do this? kindle-jailbreak-xx.zip, USBNetwork-xx.zip, or both? (xx replaces actual version numbers) And which version(s)?

According to the thread titled "Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus K5/PW USBNetwork," v.1.4.N of the kindle-jailbreak zip file provides "Proper Paperwhite Support." But the only file that's attached to this thread is v. 1.14.N, which contains bridge files, which seem to be used for updating already jailbroken devices. As my paperwhite is not jailbroken, can I use v.1.14N? If not, where can I download v1.4.N?

Also, as I just want to transfer the books to Calibre, would using the USBNetwork file be all I need? And if so, what version for the paperwhite 1 and where can I find it?

Thanks for any help.
The jailbreak archive attached to the first post is the correct one for your device -
There is more than just the bridge files in it -
read the installation directions (again ) and eschwartz's answer above.

Same with the USBNetwork file attached to the first post -
That is the file for your device (if you need that feature).

About transfering files **to** Calibre -
Someone else will have to answer that part of your question, I don't use it myself.

Last edited by knc1; 02-23-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #1845
ellentk
Enthusiast
ellentk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 10, iPhone 7, iPadMini 4
Thanks very much for your replies. Things are becoming clearer to me.

Ellen
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch