Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #166
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It does seem that the iPhone version set this all off, and it may be that the problem is that millions of iPhone owners can now buy Kindle Store ebooks and with the PID from KindlePID these can be converted to DRM-free MOBIs using mobidedrm. KindlePID does not remove the DRM, but without KindlePID mobidedrm can't do its job (since, unlike with MobiPocket software, there is never a need for the reader to know the PID). Secret keys can be part of a DRM scheme (and the impossibility of keeping them secret is one reason why DRM does not work), so perhaps Amazon has a point.
I also think that Amazon's decision is to try and stop people stripping DRM from Kindle books. My suspicion is that Amazon is able to convince publishers to release ebooks by arguing that their DRM stops people sharing the books. The existence of KindlePID and MobiDeDRM endanger this. I don't think that Amazon is trying to stop people buying books from other sources but it would be nice if they were more open about their reasons.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #167
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I did.
Excellent.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #168
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
I also think that Amazon's decision is to try and stop people stripping DRM from Kindle books. My suspicion is that Amazon is able to convince publishers to release ebooks by arguing that their DRM stops people sharing the books. The existence of KindlePID and MobiDeDRM endanger this. I don't think that Amazon is trying to stop people buying books from other sources but it would be nice if they were more open about their reasons.
They need to open the Kindle to read other DRM'd formats. Then I suspect many others would jump on the Kindle bandwagon increasing sales of not only Kindles, but also Kindle books. This should satisfy both publishers and customers (and probably reduce the desire to break DRM for legitimate purposes).

I hope Amazon is reading this
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #169
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
They need to open the Kindle to read other DRM'd formats. Then I suspect many others would jump on the Kindle bandwagon increasing sales of not only Kindles, but also Kindle books. This should satisfy both publishers and customers (and probably reduce the desire to break DRM for legitimate purposes).

I hope Amazon is reading this
Yep, if they keep Kindle books priced the way they are now then opening it up to say ePub and Mobipocket certainly wouldn't hurt their sales and would encourage people that already own books in those formats to jump on board.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #170
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Well, I have been a half-n-half person when it comes to the advantages-disadvantages of the Kindle and the Sony Reader, but this really does tip the scales quite a bit.

It is an offensive attitude from Amazon. I hope Sony enjoys a big jump in sales, and is smart enough to realise it is precisely because the Sony Reader is a more open device that they are making better market penetration.

The fact that I can upload any document I want on to my Sony (including ePub!) without unnecessary format restrictions is a big plus.

It will be interesting to see how Sony applies wi-fi to it's next generation. I know I am going to be much more careful what I load on my Kindle...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #171
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, as I argued in the thread referenced I still think that kindlefix is a cirumvention of DRM but I really have no idea if this is a legally problematic or legally allowed circumvention.
But even if Kindlefix is a circumvention of DRM the company that would have a legitimate beef is the company that the eBook was purchased from -- BooksonBoard or whoever, or the publisher. Not Amazon, it isn't their DRM being circumvented. It doesn't touch any file that was purchased from Amazon. Amazon has no more business in what's in that file than they do my work documents I converted from .doc or .rtf.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #172
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
But even if Kindlefix is a circumvention of DRM the company that would have a legitimate beef is the company that the eBook was purchased from -- BooksonBoard or whoever, or the publisher. Not Amazon, it isn't their DRM being circumvented. It doesn't touch any file that was purchased from Amazon. Amazon has no more business in what's in that file than they do my work documents I converted from .doc or .rtf.
If I read this right, their direct target was at KindlePID, not kindlefix, which is another reason (in addition to timing) why I think this is targeted more towards their ability to control distribution through the iTunes store than Kindle owners.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #173
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Someone talked about the razor/blades anaology and said the Kindle should be $10 it would be owned by everyone. Heck, even at $199 I think that might be the case.

The other think you all have to remember is that Amazon owns Mobipocket and licenses it's DRM scheme to Overdrive. I would not be surprised it they told Overdrive that they must not accept the Kindle/iPhone PIDs if they want to continue using the mobipocket encryption format.

Is Adobe actually the one smelling like roses here.. or even eReader/Fictionwise/Barnes & Nobel?

What if amazon decides that mobipocket software shouldn't work with library ebooks?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #174
shelleyp
shelleyp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Not our problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
If I read this right, their direct target was at KindlePID, not kindlefix, which is another reason (in addition to timing) why I think this is targeted more towards their ability to control distribution through the iTunes store than Kindle owners.
That is not our, Kindle owners, problem.

If Amazon is going to be paranoid about the iPhone app, then they should pull it. Or get out of the eReader business and stick with selling eBooks.

Either that, or the company is going to be looking at a class action lawsuit brought about by Kindle owners. Nobody tells me what I can and can NOT do with a device I spent a not-so-small chunk of money on.

Oh, and that keeping Whispernet on all the time, like the company recommends? Not on your life after this event.
shelleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #175
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
? I thought the program in question made it possible to put DRMed Mobipocket books on Kindle? Not to use Kindle books on anything else?
That's very close, but slightly off. What kindlePID.py does is generate a PID that can be used to purchase DRM'd mobipocket files that are encrypted for the device in question. To actually get the Kindle to read the file, KindleFix.py (which doesn't seem to bother Amazon) is necessary to "flip the switch" on the file (more or less toggling a bit, if I understand correctly) so that the Kindle will read it -- without that switch flipping, the Kindle won't even try to read a file.

Quote:
So I don't see how they could be worried about people buying Kindle books and reading them on non-Kindles.
With its recent release, the Kindle iPhone app became the main tool for doing that little thing.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just confused...
I suspect that someone is confused, but I don't think it's you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #176
ollave
ollave began at the beginning.

Device: notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
As a new Sony PRS-505 owner, I was coming to the conclusion that the Kindle 2 was a better device and recommending it. It offers enough additional valuable features (not even including Whispernet and the Amazon bookstore), and Calibre now supports mobi. The Sony only had a few things still going for it: size, ADE support, metal construction, card slots, price.

This changes everything.
And, um, Sony has a better record? (RIAA anyone?)

*grump*
ollave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #177
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollave View Post
And, um, Sony has a better record? (RIAA anyone?)

*grump*
In the ebook reader business, I guess so.
In some of their other business they have quite a bad reputation.

ie there is no evil company. There is only evil monopoly. Amazon already has a dominant position on the market and they will try to improve it, even at the cost of alienating some of their customers.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #178
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollave View Post
And, um, Sony has a better record?
In the ebook reader business, I guess so.
Not just in the e-book reader business, in the e-book business too -- Sony hasn't ever cut customers off from downloading books they'd already payed for. Of course, this is Sony's first foray into the e-book realm, to Amazon's second ... so I suppose that Sony does still have the option of ending their first pass the same way that Amazon did theirs, but Amazon has already exercised that option.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #179
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Imagine if it was $10 and they released it worldwide at the same time instead of all this messing about with whispernet in only one country and exclusive deals here and there? I'd bet you a penny to a shiny new dollar that you'd have mass-adoption in a couple of weeks, and the sales of ebooks would go through the roof. Sometimes these companies baffle me, it's like they don't want to make money.
My sentiments exactly! This isn't some little Micky Mouse, back-of-the-woods Mom&Pop store here. Why, oh WHY did they have to do it this way?
As a lover of beautiful coffee table books, an avid reader, student, cook (who loves gorgeous recipe books) AND an ex-pat( who can't easily buy books locally); I have spent vast sums of money at Amazon.com (and have shelves and shelves of books from Amazon). However for the last 5 months I have not bought a SINGLE book from Amazon. Once I realized, that it was not just a delay, but that that they had no intention of opening their ebook store to their loyal international customers.... well....

Anyway they are not the only kid on the block.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #180
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
It appears that many lack the knowledge of the current business model. No one is shooting their foot or anything similar. Amazon or Sony or any other companies are not non-profit organizations, their directive isn’t to bring you new technology or innovation, isn’t to enlighten the masses either, it’s to make money and use all means for that purpose. Anyway, who doesn’t want to make more? If you sell something you don’t want to price it higher too? No? You don’t want to force the consumer to buy more from you? I can’t understand why there are people that state surprised because of such tactics.

It’s true that kindle comes with built-in GPS module?

Sony wasn’t the one that distributed CDs loaded with trojans (not condoms, the other kind)?

There isn’t a matter of trust between companies and consumers, such notion is invalid. What we really want is thinking consumers and freely available information (see internet). Well, at least if we like to avoid true capitalism, where they’d measure the power of votes according to wealth of the voter (not that the democracy of today is different by far; politicians need sponsorship).
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote