Notices

Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #166
cpimentel
Enthusiast
cpimentel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Did you reproduce it in the same PDF, or a PDF from the same source, because that would mean nothing given the potential issues with PDF.

If it’s a different PDF from a different source then it’s possible it’s the software. But also possible it’s the file.
Different PDFs.

I was studying Clean Architecture when I lost my annotations right after the update.

The second test was done using the book Test-Driven Development by Example. Same result.

I also tested the same process in a Kepub and the annotation got retained after the automatic turn off.
cpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:54 PM   #167
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Update:

I reverted to 4.30 fw.

A. Issues gone in 4.30 that were present in 4.31:

A1. The 1A charging bricks that do not work with 4.31 on my Libra 2 now works again and charges the device just fine.
A2. Reboots work now (albeit it cycles a couple or triple times before it reaches the homescreen, especially when rebooting via Nickelmenu)

B. Issues still present in 4.31 and 4.30 on my Libra 2:

B1. Charging led light still turns off in Sleeping mode even though it is checked in the settings .
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 12:46 AM   #168
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpimentel View Post
If you make a note on a PDF, leave the viewer open and your device turns off, by the energy saver or any other method, you just lose your notes.

The editor only writes to the PDF your notes when you leave the editor, or maybe after you change some pages.
For the record, I'm not really that surprised that the annotations are only saved to the PDF when the PDF is closed. It is probably an intensive thing to do and may take time and power to do. That the save isn't triggered during the shutdown is a pity, but, again, I'm not that surprised. It isn't triggering close to anything, it is powering off. The database will already have been updated if the device had been sleeping.

You can avoid the issue by turning off the automatic power off. There is very little reason to do this as the devices are are reasonably efficient when sleeping and should last many days in that state.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #169
cpimentel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the record, I'm not really that surprised that the annotations are only saved to the PDF when the PDF is closed. It is probably an intensive thing to do and may take time and power to do. That the save isn't triggered during the shutdown is a pity, but, again, I'm not that surprised. It isn't triggering close to anything, it is powering off. The database will already have been updated if the device had been sleeping.

You can avoid the issue by turning off the automatic power off. There is very little reason to do this as the devices are are reasonably efficient when sleeping and should last many days in that state.
Hi @davidfor. As always, really insightful information.

I turned off the feature and I agree that there is not that much usefulness for it, but here is the big deal: if it is available for the user, that should work properly.

In my opinion, everything related to hand writing is really bad implemented. If the device saves things to the DB when it sleeps, same thing should happen for the PDF, notebooks etc.. someone just "forgot" to specify that in a development ticket

Once more, thank you for your opinion and information.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:18 PM   #170
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpimentel View Post
Hi @davidfor. As always, really insightful information.

I turned off the feature and I agree that there is not that much usefulness for it, but here is the big deal: if it is available for the user, that should work properly.

In my opinion, everything related to hand writing is really bad implemented. If the device saves things to the DB when it sleeps, same thing should happen for the PDF, notebooks etc.. someone just "forgot" to specify that in a development ticket
My point was that because the different formats need to work in different ways, then what happens when changes. For annotations stored in the database, they are probably being written within a few seconds. They are just one database update which should only take microseconds. For the PDF, they file needs to be rewritten, which will take longer. So, doing it for each change may not be practical. But, a "write when sleeping" is what is probably missing, or not working.
Quote:
Once more, thank you for your opinion and information.
Have you reported the problem to Kobo? They need to know that people have found problems and that they care about them.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-26-2022 at 06:20 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #171
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Update:

I reverted to 4.30 fw.

A. Issues gone in 4.30 that were present in 4.31:

A1. The 1A charging bricks that do not work with 4.31 on my Libra 2 now works again and charges the device just fine.
A2. Reboots work now (albeit it cycles a couple or triple times before it reaches the homescreen, especially when rebooting via Nickelmenu)

B. Issues still present in 4.31 and 4.30 on my Libra 2:

B1. Charging led light still turns off in Sleeping mode even though it is checked in the settings .
I have not updated, my Libra 2 remains on 4.30.18838 and the charging light works normally. While charging in sleep mode the LED remains illuminated until fully charged, regardless of whether the sleep cover is open or closed. I am running a stock Kobo with some patches applied.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #172
cpimentel
Enthusiast

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My point was that because the different formats need to work in different ways, then what happens when changes. For annotations stored in the database, they are probably being written within a few seconds. They are just one database update which should only take microseconds. For the PDF, they file needs to be rewritten, which will take longer. So, doing it for each change may not be practical. But, a "write when sleeping" is what is probably missing, or not working.

Have you reported the problem to Kobo? They need to know that people have found problems and that they care about them.
Yep, just did.

Reported how to reproduce, what I was expecting and that I didn't test with a notebook.

Hope they take an overall look at the viewers to make sure nothing is left behind when the device is performing an automatic shut off, and... fix it for good!
Old 01-26-2022, 08:29 PM   #173
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have not updated, my Libra 2 remains on 4.30.18838 and the charging light works normally. While charging in sleep mode the LED remains illuminated until fully charged, regardless of whether the sleep cover is open or closed. I am running a stock Kobo with some patches applied.
Sadly, that don't work for me either in 4.30 or 4.31. I believe i have read some other members have the same experience as me.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:35 PM   #174
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Sadly, that don't work for me either in 4.30 or 4.31. I believe i have read some other members have the same experience as me.
Yeah, doesn't work for me either on 4.30. I haven't updated either of my Kobos.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:10 AM   #175
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, doesn't work for me either on 4.30. I haven't updated either of my Kobos.
This is baffling. Same device, did not upgrade (and then rollback), with some patches applied. Do you have NM or Koreader installed? I cannot think of anything else that would explain why mine is functioning normally and yours is not.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #176
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
My Clara HD finally updated.

I thought someone said earlier that the new update brings “My Books” as the first screen when turning on, but doesn’t happen for me. Turning on still the same, goes to Home Screen.

Definitely faster moving between menu’s.

Overdrive seems more crisp and faster going via the “Discover” screen.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 01-27-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:37 PM   #177
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
My Clara HD finally updated.

I thought someone said earlier that the new update brings “My Books” as the first screen when turning on, but doesn’t happen for me. Turning on still the same, goes to Home Screen.

Definitely faster moving between menu’s.

Overdrive seems more crisp and faster going via the “Discover” screen.

You have to be in SideLoaded mode:

[ApplicationPreferences]
SideloadedMode=true
StylusUsageDetected=false

The StylusUsageDetected=false line keeps the "My Notebooks" off of the banner at the bottom.

Probably have to log out of your Kobo account and restart for this to take effect.

Good luck. I really like the fact that I can avoid the Kobo homescreen and have the "MyBooks" come up every time. Great feature.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:16 PM   #178
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
This is baffling. Same device, did not upgrade (and then rollback), with some patches applied. Do you have NM or Koreader installed? I cannot think of anything else that would explain why mine is functioning normally and yours is not.
I now know why, but i do not know how.

I factory reset my Libra 2 and then of course it updated to 4.30 (the 4.31 update is not yet available where I am now). The led light is on while sleeping and charging.

Then, i installed the patches for 4.30. after reboot, i tested again to charge while sleeping. The led light is lit, then flashes a bit, then flashes a second time, and then it is gone.

Somehow the patches affects it, though i do not know which particular patch/es is/are the culprit(s). what I use are the following:

src/nickel.yaml:
Custom synopsis font size: yes
Increase home screen cover size: yes
Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
Increase Book Details synopsis area: yes
Increase library cover size: yes
Custom header/footer captions: yes
Series list increase cover thumbnails: yes
Increase headlines font: yes
New home screen subtitle custom font: yes

src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Custom left & right margins: yes
Custom font sizes: yes
Set KePub hyphenation: yes
Don't grab exclusive access to event0: yes
Both page turn buttons go next: yes
Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading: yes
Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: yes
Allow rotation on all devices: yes
Enable advanced settings for all fonts: yes
FeatureSettings - BookSpecificStats: yes
FeatureSettings - MyWords: yes
FeatureSettings - ExportHighlights: yes
Shorten dictionary entry not found message: yes
Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen: yes
Old 01-27-2022, 11:27 PM   #179
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I now know why, but i do not know how.

I factory reset my Libra 2 and then of course it updated to 4.30 (the 4.31 update is not yet available where I am now). The led light is on while sleeping and charging.

Then, i installed the patches for 4.30. after reboot, i tested again to charge while sleeping. The led light is lit, then flashes a bit, then flashes a second time, and then it is gone.

Somehow the patches affects it, though i do not know which particular patch/es is/are the culprit(s). what I use are the following:

src/nickel.yaml:
Custom synopsis font size: yes
Increase home screen cover size: yes
Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
Increase Book Details synopsis area: yes
Increase library cover size: yes
Custom header/footer captions: yes
Series list increase cover thumbnails: yes
Increase headlines font: yes
New home screen subtitle custom font: yes

src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Custom left & right margins: yes
Custom font sizes: yes
Set KePub hyphenation: yes
Don't grab exclusive access to event0: yes
Both page turn buttons go next: yes
Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading: yes
Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: yes
Allow rotation on all devices: yes
Enable advanced settings for all fonts: yes
FeatureSettings - BookSpecificStats: yes
FeatureSettings - MyWords: yes
FeatureSettings - ExportHighlights: yes
Shorten dictionary entry not found message: yes
Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen: yes
In that list, the only one that stands out might be Don't grab exclusive access to event0: yes.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:32 PM   #180
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
In that list, the only one that stands out might be Don't grab exclusive access to event0: yes.

I use it for nanoclock. Though when i tested it, i have not installed nanoclock and/or nickelmenu yet

I am not sure if nickelmenu needs it.

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 01-27-2022 at 11:35 PM.

Tags
firmware, firmware release