Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #166
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I read this interesting book a while back, and I can't remember either the title, or the author, or even the name of the protagonist.

It starts with us learning that the main character now tends to the garden of a university or college. He is afraid of telephones because whenever he gets near one, it starts ringing, even if it is disconnected, and whoever picks up the phone hears a horrible scream.
I think the protagonist was some kind of a detective or police man or something, and the scream comes from a kid that's posessed by something.

Yes, it's quite scary
I read this a couple of years back. It was one of F. Paul Wilsons Adversary series, starting with The Keep. I can't remember which one.......I think there are at least 7 of them......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #167
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I read this a couple of years back. It was one of F. Paul Wilsons Adversary series, starting with The Keep. I can't remember which one.......I think there are at least 7 of them......
Is that the same "The Keep" as the terrible movie with Ian McKellan?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #168
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Is that the same "The Keep" as the terrible movie with Ian McKellan?
yes, but forget the movie. I have yet to see a movie based on a book that Hollywood doesn't totally screw up

I went to the library and checked out the whole series at one time. This is one you'll want to read in order.

F Paul Wilson also writes a lot of other books using repairman jack, so its easy to get confused......
Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #169
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Got it!! "Reprisal"

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/...n/reprisal.htm
Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #170
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
yes, but forget the movie. I have yet to see a movie based on a book that Hollywood doesn't totally screw up

I went to the library and checked out the whole series at one time. This is one you'll want to read in order.

F Paul Wilson also writes a lot of other books using repairman jack, so its easy to get confused......
Oh I figured the book would be much better But holy moly that movie was terrible
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #171
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I read the book in 1983 right after I saw the movie. I never realized there were sequels.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #172
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I read the book in 1983 right after I saw the movie. I never realized there were sequels.
Yep.......6 of them. Its the adversary series....

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/f-paul-wilson/
Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #173
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Figures ... FPW is one of my favorite authors and I pretty much read them all, except for "Secret Histories", the "prequel" to the Repairman Jack series.

Thanks for finding this out for me.

I rarely read books twice, but I think I should brush up on these!

Last edited by mores; 10-30-2009 at 11:28 AM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #174
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Is "The Keep" available in electronic form? Oddly, the amazon page doesn't include the usual click for "i want to read this on the kindle".
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #175
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Is "The Keep" available in electronic form? Oddly, the amazon page doesn't include the usual click for "i want to read this on the kindle".
Not legally......
Old 10-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #176
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not legally......
Picky...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #177
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Someone told me about an origin book of Peter Pan that explains how Never Land became, where the pirates were from, etc. Anyone else heard of this book? He didn't know the title and I can't find much online.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #178
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There's a film called "Finding Neverland."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finding_Neverland
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308644/faq#.2.1.4

which was based on a play, "The Man Who Was Peter Pan" by Allan Knee.
Might this be what you were thinking about?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #179
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
There's a film called "Finding Neverland."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finding_Neverland
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308644/faq#.2.1.4

which was based on a play, "The Man Who Was Peter Pan" by Allan Knee.
Might this be what you were thinking about?
Thanks, but I think that focused mainly on the author. And it wasn't based on a book. He told me it was an actual book he read some time ago.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #180
jenieliser
Groupie

I found it!! It's called Peter and the Starcatchers!

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths