Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #166
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Sneaky way of getting latest firmware much quicker in Notepad change your affiliate conf file to

[General] affiliate=BestBuyCa

reboot and look for firmware. it works. I am in the US and have set both my H20 and AuraHD to this and love it
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:35 AM   #167
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Anyone noticing a slight delay when trying to adjust the front light by swiping?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 04:55 AM   #168
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Anyone noticing a slight delay when trying to adjust the front light by swiping?
Yeah.

And it would be nice is a dialog box pops up showing the light percentage while your changing it.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #169
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Just upgraded my Aura HD to 3.15.0, and now the long press for the Notes/Highlight option barely works. Most times, a long press either brings up the dialog in the very top left corner and it disappears when I lift my finger, or else it produces nothing and when I lift my finger it brings up the Settings menu (like a single short tap at the centre of the screen). Sometimes it does what it's meant to, but quite erratically.

The long press was working fine on this same device only a few minutes earlier, under the previous F/W. I'm using highlighting frequently at the moment (proofreading custom ePubs), so I'll be rolling back to 3.12.1.

(Also, I found the update surprisingly battery-hungry. The update alone took a fresh charge from 100% to 88%.)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #170
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Oh well.. I`ll keep 3.12.1 and 3.13 for the time being then.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 AM   #171
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I updated my H2O a couple of days ago from 3.13.1, after a factory reset. I almost exclusively read sideloaded kepubs, haven't tested it with anything else so far but I'm pretty happy with this update. The interface is snappier, highlighting is faster and more precise, book processing time has been reduced.

I'm not having any frontlight or ghosting issues, the only thing I'm not particularly happy with is what happens when the dictionary popup comes up, or while highlighting: the page text becomes sort of 'ragged' (the text that appears in the dictionary popup looks fine though). It goes back to normal after closing the popup or closing the highlighting menu, but a bit grayer. And the page doesn't refresh automatically anymore after consulting a long dictionary entry.
I can live with it, especially if that's what makes highlighting so much better, but I think it would have been better if they'd added an automatic refresh.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #172
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Just upgraded my Aura HD to 3.15.0, and now the long press for the Notes/Highlight option barely works. Most times, a long press either brings up the dialog in the very top left corner and it disappears when I lift my finger, or else it produces nothing and when I lift my finger it brings up the Settings menu (like a single short tap at the centre of the screen). Sometimes it does what it's meant to, but quite erratically.

The long press was working fine on this same device only a few minutes earlier, under the previous F/W. I'm using highlighting frequently at the moment (proofreading custom ePubs), so I'll be rolling back to 3.12.1.
I am seeing some of that as well. The patterns I am seeing are:

- The menu for the selection doesn't show up in the correct place. Sometimes it shows up in the top right corner and then disappears and is redrawn under the selection. The next time it appears where the last selection was, and then get redrawn in the correct place.

- Selecting the last word of first paragraph if it carries over from the previous screen and the last character is a full stop. In this case, the long press triggers whatever would have happened for a tap in the same spot.

Other than this, I find the selection working better. Selection on the top line was erratic before, but is working with no problems now.
Quote:
(Also, I found the update surprisingly battery-hungry. The update alone took a fresh charge from 100% to 88%.)
A 12% drop during the upgrade is more than I'd expect, but it does use a lot of power. Personally, I'm not seeing any extra power usage on any of my devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #173
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I'm finding the response to a long press in the Library, to bring up the context menu for a specific book, is noticeably sluggish now as well under 3.15. It's a bit annoying, because a long press won't bring up the menu, but when I release it the device reacts as if I've done a short press, and opens the book. So, hopefully the long press routine in general will get a spruce-up before long!

Re the power drop: no, I'm not seeing any power anomalies (so far!) in other functions. (To be fair, I haven't had the new F/W long enough to notice.) It was just the F/W update itself that drank deeper than I expected.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #174
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I updated my H2O a couple of days ago from 3.13.1, after a factory reset. I almost exclusively read sideloaded kepubs, haven't tested it with anything else so far but I'm pretty happy with this update. The interface is snappier, highlighting is faster and more precise, book processing time has been reduced.

I'm not having any frontlight or ghosting issues, the only thing I'm not particularly happy with is what happens when the dictionary popup comes up, or while highlighting: the page text becomes sort of 'ragged' (the text that appears in the dictionary popup looks fine though). It goes back to normal after closing the popup or closing the highlighting menu, but a bit grayer. And the page doesn't refresh automatically anymore after consulting a long dictionary entry.
I can live with it, especially if that's what makes highlighting so much better, but I think it would have been better if they'd added an automatic refresh.
You can add LeanAndMean=false to [Feature Settings] to make the screen refresh after a dictionary lookup. I didn't like the quality of refresh myself (text wasn't as dark as before) which is why I reverted to 3.13.1.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #175
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I noticed that the identifier that this firmware version reads from sideloaded books (ISBN, URI, whatever appears first in the OPF file I think) appears in the Analytics.conf file, as well as being displayed on the Book details menu.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #176
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
How do you get the Glo to update? I have had no notice of any updates since January, syncing does no good, and putting the zip file in the kobo directory doesn't work either.

What do you need enabled? I usually have wifi off as I don't want Kobo's ads or suggestions.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #177
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
How do you get the Glo to update? I have had no notice of any updates since January, syncing does no good, and putting the zip file in the kobo directory doesn't work either.

What do you need enabled? I usually have wifi off as I don't want Kobo's ads or suggestions.
It's actually been posted further towards the top of this page by crochetgeek2010. You edit your affiliate.conf file located on your reader in the .kobo directory. When you turn on the wifi and sync, you'll get the download. I always keep mine set to BestBuyCA as well so I can get updates quickly instead of 5 months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetgeek2010 View Post
Sneaky way of getting latest firmware much quicker in Notepad change your affiliate conf file to

[General]
affiliate=BestBuyCa

reboot and look for firmware. it works. I am in the US and have set both my H20 and AuraHD to this and love it

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-06-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #178
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That didn't work. I must have forbidden something somewhere. It still says 3.12.1. I don't remember editing anything on reader.

All I've ever received is ads for new books via email. Never any notice of updates. I just turned the email promos off yesterday as they were useless. I've checked account online.

I just signed out of account on Kobo, restarted and it says reader is up to date.
Still 3.12.1

Last edited by Alpha o; 05-06-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #179
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you now open up the affiliate.conf file that's on your reader, does it still say BestBuyCA in the proper location?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #180
Alpha o
Addict

Had to re enter after signing out.
Finally showed up and says it's updating. Will check version when it's done.
Got it, thanks