Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #166
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Okay, I have decided to stop being delusional and finally conclude that Sony will not soon be taking ebooks serisously. I'm now distressed enough with the meager rate at which they are adding new titles that even I am considering looking for titles in epub and "Adobe PDF for Digital Editions" formats (yuck). Could someone kindly point me in the direction of vendors of large volumes of titles in these formats? I see a long list in the Wiki but am looking for the really big vendors and hope you can help me out, please. Thanks in advance.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #167
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Okay, I have decided to stop being delusional and finally conclude that Sony will not soon be taking ebooks serisously. I'm now distressed enough with the meager rate at which they are adding new titles that even I am considering looking for titles in epub and "Adobe PDF for Digital Editions" formats (yuck). Could someone kindly point me in the direction of vendors of large volumes of titles in these formats? I see a long list in the Wiki but am looking for the really big vendors and hope you can help me out, please. Thanks in advance.
Most of the ebook stores usually mentioned here have secure PDF ebooks. Fictionwise.com, booksonboard.com, ebooks.com, etc.

Why buy a format that can't be cracked. You are much more future proof if you buy lit, mobi or ereader and remove the DRM and convert to LRF.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #168
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Most of the ebook stores usually mentioned here have secure PDF ebooks. Fictionwise.com, booksonboard.com, ebooks.com, etc.

Why buy a format that can't be cracked. You are much more future proof if you buy lit, mobi or ereader and remove the DRM and convert to LRF.

BOb
Thanks, BOb. And good point. I have avoided DRM removal on principle (silly me). Why can't I just buy the damn books I want directly? Curse you, Sony!!!! (sorry for the rhetorical rant)
Old 10-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #169
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Okay, I have decided to stop being delusional and finally conclude that Sony will not soon be taking ebooks serisously. I'm now distressed enough with the meager rate at which they are adding new titles that even I am considering looking for titles in epub and "Adobe PDF for Digital Editions" formats (yuck).
You may just change your mind a bit in the near future...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #170
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
You may just change your mind a bit in the near future...
______
Dennis
Now wasn't that a cryptic remark! Dare I ask, Dennis?
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #171
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now wasn't that a cryptic remark! Dare I ask, Dennis?
Let's just say I possess some interesting information I'm in the process of writing up for MR.
______
Dennis
Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #172
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Okay, I have decided to stop being delusional and finally conclude that Sony will not soon be taking ebooks serisously.
Or maybe they will...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #173
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Okay, I have decided to stop being delusional and finally conclude that Sony will not soon be taking ebooks serisously.
According to Sony at last night's event, Sony Connect will have 100,000 titles available by the holidays. That seems serious to me.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #174
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Well, that would be good news! I look forward to seeing those 100,000 titles with great anticipation (and, if you don't mind, a healthy dose of skepticism).
Old 10-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #175
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, that would be good news! I look forward to seeing those 100,000 titles with great anticipation (and, if you don't mind, a healthy dose of skepticism).
Lets just hope 80,000 of them aren't romance novels.

BOb
Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #176
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Lets just hope 80,000 of them aren't romance novels.
You can make a case that women are the biggest segment of the reading market these days, and romance sells.

What sort of things Sony is pushing to add is one of my followup questions to Christian Smythe, their Director of ebook Merchandising.
______
Dennis
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #177
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
See my writeup on Sony's PRS-700 launch even in NYC, here.
______
Dennis
Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #178
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
You can make a case that women are the biggest segment of the reading market these days, and romance sells.
I don't deny that, nor do I have a problem with people reading them. But, you want a nice mix of all types of genre's in a book store.

BOb
Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #179
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks Sony has added about 1500 new titles (a 3.0% increase) and now have about 52,620 ebooks for sale for the Readers (the sum of books in all categories which includes some double-counts; the actual total is about 49,000). Sony has added an average of 91 new ebooks per day to their store since Sept., 2007. The greatest percentage increases in the past two weeks are in the categories of Travel (up 22.1%) and Romance (up 9.7%).

In the same period Amazon has added 4,400 new titles (a 2.5% increase) and now have about 184,698 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 293 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since November.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #180
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Well,
I may have said this in a previous post but do numbers really matter? at the rate I read if you gave me all the books I would like to read from the connect store I would be reading for years to come. Yes I realize Amazon has more titles but I spent weeks researching both stores before landing in the Sony Camp, If Sony has the titles you want does it matter that they dont have the 45,000 that you don't just food for thought. And I look forward to the next 100,000 additions to the Store.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!