Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #166
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
But from that point of view, even if Apple included a native ADOBE DRM ePub reader, or, heck, even if they changed ibooks to use that system today, they could still change their mind again tomorrow.

So could B&N, so could Amazon. Adobe could change their system and break all existing readers. Admittedly, the Apple scenario is the most likely of those....
But still, if we are to be concerned about that, ereaders would be relegated to those users who want to maintain their own firmware builds.....

I don't mean to be championing the iPad, by the way. For myself, the 5.5G Video iPod was the last Apple consumer product I liked. The Apple ][+ was the last Apple computer I used, too...I just don't know that these particular concerns should hold too much weight in a buying decision. Things change. C'est la vie.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #167
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Whoever wrote your linked-to article seems to be reading from a script; Palm was taken over by HP months ago. That tablet won't run Windows but WebOS, the excellent Linux-based Palm phone OS that has a monster cult following (including my wife, until she saw how many things my Droid X could do):

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...ompetitio.html

In addition, Steve Bomber showed the Slate proto at CES last year, so MS was already in the game when this was written.

I checked the specs for the HP Slate. It started shipping in October and runs essentially the same hardware as convertibles such as the Asus T91MT. I would consider one myself save for 1) the pricetag and 2) the GMA500 graphics chipset, as I would try to dual-boot Linux with it. The difference your article brings up is a version of Windows for ARM-based systems; there are perfectly good tablets running Windows today as I mentioned. As it stands, I'm happy with my HP Mini and will not be springing for a tablet-anything any time soon but if you have the scratch I would say look into the Slate.
I just did a quick search and that article was from 5 days ago. I need to hang on for awhile yet before I get anything as I have shelled out a lot of money for some classes I'm taking (not to mention I still need to fix my well). this will give plenty of time for the big show in Vegas and all of the announcements to be made. *pats ancient crumbling laptop* hang in there baby!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #168
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What apps do you have that no longer exist in the app store?
A number of games, some google voice apps before the google voice was completed, a few apps that involve "unallowed functionality" (one would use the buttons to take photos) , two emulators (one C64 one that allowed basic, and a DOS emulator) , some books that they pulled for "content violations", a music player that would stream things from computer to your iphone (This one got pulled because it replicated what they later did with Airplay), and a few programs that would use the dock / USB out to control things/pass data directly to the computer.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #169
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
But from that point of view, even if Apple included a native ADOBE DRM ePub reader, or, heck, even if they changed ibooks to use that system today, they could still change their mind again tomorrow.

So could B&N, so could Amazon. Adobe could change their system and break all existing readers. Admittedly, the Apple scenario is the most likely of those....
But still, if we are to be concerned about that, ereaders would be relegated to those users who want to maintain their own firmware builds.....

I don't mean to be championing the iPad, by the way. For myself, the 5.5G Video iPod was the last Apple consumer product I liked. The Apple ][+ was the last Apple computer I used, too...I just don't know that these particular concerns should hold too much weight in a buying decision. Things change. C'est la vie.
I love apple products, don't get me wrong.

What I'm talking about is the ownership issue. I don't want to pay too much for something I won't own, and that might be gone. Yes, others could do this too, but I'll always be able to freeze the firmware and drop txt files or rtfs or unprotected mobis on my wifi kindle.

The only way to get stuff on and off the Apple products is through itunes. A few apps do sync, and some do websync, but all of those use Apple approved functions/methods, and those can be turned off by Apple at anytime and break those functions. That's gatekeeping. Every piece of content you put on your Ipad (including, believe it or not, ibooks that aren't purchased from apple, movies, etc) are logged. That information can be sent to Apple for "diagnostic purposes." (Oh, I can't wait for the day when the MPAA or RIAA subpoena diagnostic information from Apple / Microsoft/ Amazon/ etc and nail people for that.)

That's what concerns me.. not so much the "can it read DRM files", but more the "can they turn it into a very expensive and pretty brick at will."

I suppose Amazon can as well, but theoretically, on the wifi kindle I can disable Wifi and use only USB when my computer's unplugged from the net.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the only reason I'm really concerned mostly about apple right now is that they are the only ones who actively have a patent on remote disabling of devices for content violations or terms of service violations. It's right there in the patent application precisely what they can do.

Last edited by Redcard; 12-28-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #170
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
This afternoon I compared and contrasted the Sony Daily (7" screen) with the Nook Color. Sony sold it with the web capability, larger screen and access to periodicals and newspapers. The Nook has less on the battery side but stunning color. Yes I compared with the IPAD and Kindle but was stunned by the Nook's color display and access to an incredible number of formats. I spent equal time between the Sony and the Nook noting advantages/disadvantages to each. I bought the Nook Color and I'll let you know.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #171
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
This afternoon I compared and contrasted the Sony Daily (7" screen) with the Nook Color. Sony sold it with the web capability, larger screen and access to periodicals and newspapers. The Nook has less on the battery side but stunning color. Yes I compared with the IPAD and Kindle but was stunned by the Nook's color display and access to an incredible number of formats. I spent equal time between the Sony and the Nook noting advantages/disadvantages to each. I bought the Nook Color and I'll let you know.
Cool. Keep us posted.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #172
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I bought the Nook Color and I'll let you know.
That sounds like an excellent choice based on your earlier posts. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #173
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
The only way to get stuff on and off the Apple products is through itunes.
If that worries you, use different apps.
There are alternate book and video apps that can load data without iTunes.

Quote:
Every piece of content you put on your Ipad (including, believe it or not, ibooks that aren't purchased from apple, movies, etc) are logged. That information can be sent to Apple for "diagnostic purposes."
This is getting into tinfoil hat territory.
Just as Amazon or B&N could log all the files you sideload.
Microsoft could be logging everything you load onto a PC.
All operating systems 'log' every file you put on a device, how else would they know work?

Quote:
That's what concerns me.. not so much the "can it read DRM files", but more the "can they turn it into a very expensive and pretty brick at will."

I suppose Amazon can as well, but theoretically, on the wifi kindle I can disable Wifi and use only USB when my computer's unplugged from the net.
Which is exactly what you could also do with the iPad.

Quote:
EDIT: Just to clarify, the only reason I'm really concerned mostly about apple right now is that they are the only ones who actively have a patent on remote disabling of devices for content violations or terms of service violations. It's right there in the patent application precisely what they can do.
Didn't one of the early Droid phones have a deadman chip built into to allow it to be permanently deactivated if hacked?

Edit: Yes - http://pocketnow.com/thought/efuse-d...al-kill-switch

Last edited by murraypaul; 12-28-2010 at 06:00 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #174
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I think that Apple is, by far, the most likely candidate to break their own format vis a vis DRM. The main reason is, they can afford to. Dedicated readers are one-trick ponies, generally. With an iPad/iPod/iPhone, if you can't read books, there's still plenty you can do with it. If your Nook or Kindle won't read your books, well, you're just boned. B&N and Amazon have a lot more riding on your ability to read books on their devices and software.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #175
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As much as I like my iPad, I can list one reason not to buy one: Their App Store sucks. It's all done through iTunes, and navigation is a nightmare. You can only have one store window open at a time, so comparison shopping is difficult, and the browse function brings up more hits than God made stars.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #176
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
I bought my Sony PRS-505 more than 3 years ago. It's an ereader and that is all I use it for and that is all I want. I can download from the library, mobileread, gutenberg as well as numerous online ebookstores. Wireless is nice but is plugging in the USB such a chore? I have looked at other devices recently and except for the Sony daily edition (7" screen) still find no reason to change. As for Kindle, I don't get why reviewers slobber over it. It doesn't support EPUB and I don't think I can download PDF DRM to it from the library. But it gets all the attention. IPAD is very nice if you want your e-reader to be a netbook sans keyboard and do everything else. I just want my ereader to be an ereader. And, I can stick it in my coat pocket. Try that with Kindle or IPAD!
Yep, the 505 is nice - but don't look at any of the new Sony screens! That's what did me in...

The thing about wireless is that you don't need a computer when you travel. If you don't travel, and have a computer, plugging in is no big deal. It's no more difficult than putting your phone on the charger at night, & in many ways, managing your reading using the computer is faster & easier.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #177
Blurryan
Blurryan began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
The iPad is a "Keep up with the Jones" adult toy.
Blurryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #178
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

I was concerned about the DRM comments yesterday. As a result I discovered I can go to the Sony ebookstore and download (without charge) all purchased texts in EPUB format that are accessible by other devices (except IPAD and Kindle). That takes care of the BBeB secure texts. For the hundreds of other BBeB texts I downloaded Calibre from Mobileread and I have started converting the files to EPUB. Sony has stopped selling BBeB and my concern stemmed from losing the potential for text portability should they no longer support the format.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #179
allen.gotwald
Advocate

I got an email from an individual justifying the #1 status for the Kindle by the "top 10" site. The justification assumes everyone buying a device is new to the ereader market. I cannot accept a device that negates my entire library (EPUB and soon to be EPUB), makes it impossible to use library sites, negates being able to use Gutenberg.net or Mobileread.com ebooks. For example, I love obscure texts like A.E. Merritt. Mobileread has all his texts online for free. I went to the Kindle store and found a single text for $4. If it sells, it's available. That's not good enough. I want to find whatever I want and read whatever I find without restriction by the device owner. EPUB is as close to a standard as there is so I can purchased secure EPUB or download some other format (and convert it).
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #180
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
I got an email from an individual justifying the #1 status for the Kindle by the "top 10" site. The justification assumes everyone buying a device is new to the ereader market. I cannot accept a device that negates my entire library (EPUB and soon to be EPUB), makes it impossible to use library sites, negates being able to use Gutenberg.net or Mobileread.com ebooks. For example, I love obscure texts like A.E. Merritt. Mobileread has all his texts online for free. I went to the Kindle store and found a single text for $4. If it sells, it's available. That's not good enough. I want to find whatever I want and read whatever I find without restriction by the device owner. EPUB is as close to a standard as there is so I can purchased secure EPUB or download some other format (and convert it).
Actually, you can use Project Gutenberg to get e-books for the Kindle. I do it all the time on mine. And for Mobileread.net epub files, all you have to do is convert them to MOBI files with Calibre to read them on the Kindle.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote