Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #166
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think it was more a matter of the 8" being a custom screen that caused the higher price, not necessarily just because it was larger. The 10.2" is also a custom screen.

The 8" screen also uses an entirely different display controller than the standard 6" screens. The 10.2" is using a modified version of the same controller that is in the 8". That's probably part of it too.
So, it means that if a Sony/CyBook/Amazon make a move from 6" to 8/10" screens the price will stay the same? Bacause the screen will not be a custom screen and they will use just a modified version of 6" display controller?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #167
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I didn't see an answer to my question. Is there internal memory for user storage (how much?) or is it limited to SD card?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #168
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The spec appears to suggest that document storage is purely on the SD card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #169
Scifier
[=>>=]
Scifier began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 620BT (was), Irex Iliad (was), Kindle Keyboard, Android phone
Is there any info on improvement of the page changing speed. One of the reasons I practically stopped using my Iliad for reading documents PDF (not books!) and making notes is that it was quite slow if I just wanted to quickly flip dozen of pages in search for specific piece of text - this is how I work with my paper documents.
Scifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #170
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There's some vid lnked here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #171
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think it was more a matter of the 8" being a custom screen that caused the higher price, not necessarily just because it was larger. The 10.2" is also a custom screen.

The 8" screen also uses an entirely different display controller than the standard 6" screens. The 10.2" is using a modified version of the same controller that is in the 8". That's probably part of it too.
And the Wacom touch screen is common to both.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #172
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Too bad-- it looks like the iLiad isn't going to get a better content lister, or even the new content viewer.

Looks like they added most of the community iPDF features to the viewer on the DR1000, but not the text excerpt. I guess they're not going after the academic market....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #173
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I didn't see an answer to my question. Is there internal memory for user storage (how much?) or is it limited to SD card?
The DR 1000 has 128 MB internal memory, but that is allocated to the operating system. All content is stored on the sd card indeed.

ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #174
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So, it means that if a Sony/CyBook/Amazon make a move from 6" to 8/10" screens the price will stay the same? Bacause the screen will not be a custom screen and they will use just a modified version of 6" display controller?
No.

Currently, Sony/CyBook/Amazon can't switch to either the 8" or 10" screen that iRex is using. The only way iRex is able to do it is that they are the ones that designed the display controllers that work with eInk. Currently, the standard 6" screen size is the only one available to other devices. There are also other differences between the 6" and 8" screens besides the size. 16 shades of grey versus 4, etc. It's not just a matter of modifying the 6" (alpha) controller to drive a larger screen. The 8"/10" (delta) controller has different technology/capability in it. That's probably part of the higher cost as well as the custom screen size being less mass produced by PVI.

I assume with the next generation, 9.7" will be the "standard" size since that's what most of them are talking about using. When most of the manufacturers switch to that, PVI will be producing it in the largest numbers which will help drive the individual cost down. So the cost of the 9.7" display will likely be cheaper than the cost of the 10.2" display. I don't know what controller the 9.7" will use though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #175
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just a point: I think the Sony uses an Epson controller for the display.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #176
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Just a point: I think the Sony uses an Epson controller for the display.
The 505 does. The 500 used the iRex alpha controller, which is what most of the other devices still use (kindle, cybook, etc). I think Epson is also making a 9.7" screen controller. I'm not sure if that's what most companies will use for their new devices or if iRex is working on one as well.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #177
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
IF you "could" use a USB keyboard with the DR1000, this might be a good choice. http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/24/b...tiny-keyboard/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #178
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
G*d I wish that they would make a firmware update for the Iliad 2 with that new software. Being able to change docs within a doc is pretty key to speeding up doc switch times. I feel like I'm punched in the stomach everytime I open the Iliad because I know all the trouble it is to switch back and forth through docs.

I'd still like to see a vid with the load up time (I hope they speed up/eliminated that) and it seems like the page turns havent sped up by much if at all. Also showing some Manga on there would be sweet. I assume it still has the same zoom features right?

I'd get it if I didnt already have an Iliad but its not a big enough change to warrant a second
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #179
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
IF you "could" use a USB keyboard with the DR1000, this might be a good choice. http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/24/b...tiny-keyboard/

BOb
I guess there is no master USB port on the DR1000...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #180
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
G*d I wish that they would make a firmware update for the Iliad 2 with that new software.
I do too, but it's probably a lot harder than it sounds. The new device is running a different generation of the linux kernel and it's also got a significantly faster processor and more memory. As a software developer myself, I don't find it that hard to believe that the new and improved software just won't run on the older iLiad, or else be so resource intensive on the older hardware that it's unusable.

Still, I'd had hoped that at least parts of it are portable.

Quote:
I'd still like to see a vid with the load up time (I hope they speed up/eliminated that) and it seems like the page turns havent sped up by much if at all. Also showing some Manga on there would be sweet. I assume it still has the same zoom features right?
Boot time is around 50 seconds, which is pretty much what the iLiad's boot time is. Coming out of suspend or hibernate mode is much faster.

I believe zooming is still supported.