Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #166
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
I, like AdamV, very much like the hardware of my DR-900; and think that it is badly let down by a rather primitive firmware (I have already posted/ranted about this).
BTW, I just checked and it seems that *a new version of the firmware* (kernel 3.7, so apparently different from the 3.6 of version 394, which was the latest firmware so far) is now available on Asus' support site. Apparently, in Russian only (?). Let's see if other regional versions pop up.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #167
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
not too many improvements if you read the description of the RU version... I posted 2 of issues I have noticed (one about fixed left margin width which is soooo annoying) on their support forum - not a soul cared to address or even answer these...

well I do hope they will bring some new stuff soon and fix some bugs that are already there.
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #168
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamV View Post
not too many improvements if you read the description of the RU version...
I'm hoping that other bugfixes/refinements have been done but have been left undocumented... After all, things like "now the RSS feed reader actually works" would not look that good ;-)

Please let us informed about the feedback (or lack of it) you get from Asus. I, too, would like to point out to them a few issues...
Old 04-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #169
Terence
Terence began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS DR-900
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
I, like AdamV, very much like the hardware of my DR-900; and think that it is badly let down by a rather primitive firmware (I have already posted/ranted about this).
BTW, I just checked and it seems that *a new version of the firmware* (kernel 3.7, so apparently different from the 3.6 of version 394, which was the latest firmware so far) is now available on Asus' support site. Apparently, in Russian only (?). Let's see if other regional versions pop up.

Hi all,

I also just bought a DR-900W (i.e. Wifi-only) in Hong Kong on April 3rd and hopefully, I will be able to provide more information on this reading device in the next few weeks. Maybe I will initially post a quick/first-impression before writing a full user review.

I have been reading many books on my Sony PRS-505 (with Vizplex display) for about 4 years and thought it was about time to upgrade to a larger screen. Like many others on this forum, I do not like the close-approach/system employed by Amazon (so no Kindle DX for me). And the Asus DR-900 would be a good choice.

At first, I was a bit worried about the quality of the Siplix display. However, after comparing the 2 devices (PRS-505 & DR-900) side-by-side, I think the text/image quality on the Sipix display is on par with the PRS-505. Since I am used to the PRS-505, the "darker/non-white" background as well as the "relatively slow" refresh rate (almost all current-gen e-reading devices have similar slow refresh rate) on the DR-900 doesn't bother me much.

Yes, the firmware is quite primitive at this stage and there are numerous problems/annoyances that should be fixed/improved.

The firmware version on my device is 3054 and the kernel version is 0.0.3.7. I hope ASUS will keep updating the firmware.

BTW, this is my first post here and I look forward to having more discussions with everyone.

Cheers,
T.
Terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #170
BoldlyDubious
what if...?

Welcome :-)

Maybe, if we users of the DR-900 put up enough of a fuss on MobileRead about the shortcomings of the current firmware, Asus will do something about it. (I suspect, though, that not much is likely to occur until they are ready to push the device to wider markets... assuming that this is going to happen).
Come on, Asus, you're underexploiting the potential of your own (very fine, hardware-wise) product! You are not profiting from the (short?) time window where your device is the *only* large-screen affordable ereader on the market!

On a different note: I just checked the support page for the DR-900 and all the files have disappeared except for two source code packages... what's happening? A glitch, or...?
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #171
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

there seem to be all 3 updates still available from my browsing as of today...
Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #172
BoldlyDubious
what if...?

Thanks AdamV, it seems that Asus is changing the graphics of their support site. Maybe the (temporary) problem was due to that.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #173
Mister_R
Mister_R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcor View Post
One more info. Some rumours about the DR 900 available as from tomorrow on the online shop ofMediaworld.

I live close to Como (you know the lake?) and about 30 km from Milano. If you mean Pisa, I found there is one shop there and one in Lucca, not so far away from Pisa. I can call, however the issue is that being a few or more readers in every shop and so many people waiting they will be sold out in a few hours.
I live in portugal but i travel frequently to Lucca (italy).
I would be very happy if you can point me any shoop near by.
Mister_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #174
TangRoger
TangRoger began at the beginning.

Device: DR900
No warranty in package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post
Hi all,

I also just bought a DR-900W (i.e. Wifi-only) in Hong Kong on April 3rd and hopefully, I will be able to provide more information on this reading device in the next few weeks. Maybe I will initially post a quick/first-impression before writing a full user review.

I have been reading many books on my Sony PRS-505 (with Vizplex display) for about 4 years and thought it was about time to upgrade to a larger screen. Like many others on this forum, I do not like the close-approach/system employed by Amazon (so no Kindle DX for me). And the Asus DR-900 would be a good choice.

At first, I was a bit worried about the quality of the Siplix display. However, after comparing the 2 devices (PRS-505 & DR-900) side-by-side, I think the text/image quality on the Sipix display is on par with the PRS-505. Since I am used to the PRS-505, the "darker/non-white" background as well as the "relatively slow" refresh rate (almost all current-gen e-reading devices have similar slow refresh rate) on the DR-900 doesn't bother me much.

Yes, the firmware is quite primitive at this stage and there are numerous problems/annoyances that should be fixed/improved.

The firmware version on my device is 3054 and the kernel version is 0.0.3.7. I hope ASUS will keep updating the firmware.

BTW, this is my first post here and I look forward to having more discussions with everyone.

Cheers,
T.

I've just got a DR900 in HongKong, but there is only a DR900, a USB cable and a cover in the package, no warranty card, no charger, it is amazing!!!
TangRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #175
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
subscribed!
Where can you (still) buy this device?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #176
AdamV
*Censored*

not sure about the rest of the world, but in EU - yes

http://www.ultimabooks.it/asus-dr900

cheers!