Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #166
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
my guess is they were looking to trim the fat and probably did some research on how widely used some of the extra features were. I'm sure each extra feature has their dedicated niche for example my wife loves audio books for her ride into work. She ripped almost her entire library into MP3 and downloaded them to her nook classic and runs a male to male 3.5 mm jack to the stereo.

Me on the flip side have never once used the mp3 player. My guess is I'm the majority and she's the minority so if you are looking for ways to cut down on the overall cost of things, that wouldn't make the cut.

just pure speculation.
No doubt. Along those lines, I'd be curious to see their metrics on how much money they make from books purchased over WiFi and 3G.
They obviously kept WiFi in, and not a browser or 3G, for a reason.
Amazon, on the other hand, continues to subsidize 3G web access for three generations of ereaders. Are their number that different, or are they trying to hit different audiences?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #167
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Get over yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
So you just use your iPhone to make phone calls, I guess?
A Nook (simple touch) is very obviously a reader and not much else. I like that.

Equally obviously the hacker types will have a field day but nowhere near my reader.

To each his own.

I can't help wondering how much the hacker community costs the innocent readers in terms of the costs to B&N of "rooting" and making sure that everything still works. I bet the new Nook would only be $99 without all of the foolishness that the hackers add.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #168
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
No doubt. Along those lines, I'd be curious to see their metrics on how much money they make from books purchased over WiFi and 3G.
Amazon, on the other hand, continues to subsidize 3G web access for three generations of ereaders. Are their number that different, or are they trying to hit different audiences?

me thinks Amazon deep pockets

BandN doing their best not to become Borders.

I think amazon can produces the 3gs for alot longer

I would love to see the difference in sales between the wifi only nook and kindles compared to the 3g models.

On the nook you can tell a wifi only in the wild by it's white back. I see a ton of those and don't see too many gray backs(3G) anymore.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #169
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
I bet the new Nook would only be $99 without all of the foolishness that the hackers add.
I'm pretty sure they'd be just as comfortable charging $139. If it weren't for the Kindle Wi-Fi, they'd be charging $150 without hackers even accounted for (if they even are).
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #170
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I'd be curious to see their metrics on how much money they make from books purchased over WiFi and 3G.
A little bit of speculation here, and like my old Thermodynamics teacher used to say: "nothing is free on this life, unless is coming from your mom"

In other words, the company needs to sell enough books via 3G, to support the "free" 3G access or existence. Amazon needs to pay the service anyway and the more ebooks that they sell, the better and higher profit.

Does not look like B&N was selling enough ebooks to keep the 3G service or maybe the selling traffic via 3G was not as expected. Or maybe the deal (with whoever the 3G provider is or was) was not as good as Amazon, who knows. But selling a Wifi only device certainly save a few millions, not just during the manufacturing process but with the on going support and fees (for B&N I mean)

Last edited by jocampo; 05-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #171
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
So you just use your iPhone to make phone calls, I guess?
Maybe not, but there are mobile phones that solely exist to make just phone calls. In fact, contrary to what gadget communities would have us think, smartphones make up a small percentage of overall cellphone use.

So yes, there is still a high demand for single use devices. I use my eink Nook for NOTHING but reading books. I've used the browser maybe twice, and none of the other features and ad-ons at all.
There is a market for people who only want ereaders to read books on, and there's nothing wrong with BN aggressively pursuing them. YMMV of course, but it's great that there are so many reader devices to suit all of us.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #172
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
A Nook (simple touch) is very obviously a reader and not much else. I like that.

Equally obviously the hacker types will have a field day but nowhere near my reader.

To each his own.

I can't help wondering how much the hacker community costs the innocent readers in terms of the costs to B&N of "rooting" and making sure that everything still works. I bet the new Nook would only be $99 without all of the foolishness that the hackers add.
I'd take that bet. Unless you know for a fact that B&N was selling each nook at a loss (with the hopes of making it up on book sales) then B&N wouldn't care what the hackers do.

If nooks were sold as loss-leaders, then B&N would not have provided so many ways of sideloading non-nookbooks.

A list price of $139 now means a holiday sale of $99.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #173
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
There is a market for people who only want ereaders to read books on, and there's nothing wrong with BN aggressively pursuing them.
I agree on that statement and like I previously said, the reason why I like the Kindle and also why I have tablets for Magazines and/or games.

I read more and better, using an eink device. Less distractions and usually they are more comfortable to hold for long periods of time than tablets.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #174
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Huh. I like the way the new Nook looks.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #175
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I read more and better, using an eink device. Less distractions and usually they are more comfortable to hold for long periods of time than tablets.
I'm with you on the less distractions and more comfortable to hold. Looking forward to having an eink device again! Not looking forward to a clip on light though.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #176
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
my guess is they were looking to trim the fat and probably did some research on how widely used some of the extra features were. I'm sure each extra feature has their dedicated niche for example my wife loves audio books for her ride into work. She ripped almost her entire library into MP3 and downloaded them to her nook classic and runs a male to male 3.5 mm jack to the stereo.

Me on the flip side have never once used the mp3 player. My guess is I'm the majority and she's the minority so if you are looking for ways to cut down on the overall cost of things, that wouldn't make the cut.

just pure speculation.
They said that this would be The Simple Reader. That is all it is a reader and that is how it will be marketed. They have two distinct products now. A pure eReader and a more robust reader/tablet. Look for them to push these products as such.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #177
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
it looks pretty good, but I just got a Kindle yesterday!
well, at least it was a freebie and also came with a $100 Amazon gift card
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #178
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

To each his own.

what do hackers have to do with the costs to B&N?
everything gets hacked nowadays
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #179
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
At 30mins a day I think it's a bit of a marketing stunt. I'd be interested in pageturns.
Do you know if the Kindle's 30-day battery life is based on reading 60 minutes per day?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #180
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It's a reader. Just use it to read.
That's what I mostly do with my Kindle. But I also use it for audiobooks on occasion. They're books too.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote