Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #166
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's odd that some people have slow page turns. They are the fastest ever for me. Hummm, seems much faster for kepubs than epubs.

Also, I assume there was a reason the update slowly rolled out as a sync. It would be interesting to know if the fail/succeed ratio is better when people do it this way.

Last edited by taming; 07-11-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: kepub vs epub line
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #167
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
The keyboard doesn't have either an ampersand or an underline. The first can be spelled out in, eg, a shelf name, but the underline is still necessary in entering URLs in the still-unsupported web browser*.

*If you haven't found it: tap the cogwheel icon / Settings / Extras / Launch Web Browser
When you have hte keyboard on screen, select the ?123 button and then the ~+= button and you will see both the _ and &.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #168
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Thanks, PeterT. I didn't interpret the ~+= button as going anywhere useful and never tapped it til now.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #169
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
One observation about the slower page turn is that if I tab several times, the page turn speed will increase to full speed on approx. the 2nd page turn. I'm speculating that the CPU is resisting scaling to full speed for a few extra seconds, which is what makes the first 1 or 2 page turns slow.

I updated by doing a factory reset first, then installed the update. I wonder if it would be different if I updated to 1.9.17 first, then updated to 2. I noticed that not everything from the previous updats got rolled into 2. For exaple, the Felbridge font was not included in the update to 2, yet other people report having the font.. Therefore, people updating from 1.9.17 to 2 will have some differences from those updating from original to 2, but I can only guess at what all the diferences could be.. (I'll have to unzip both .tar files, and examine what files includes in the 1.9.17 updates are abset from the 2.0 update.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #170
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
I never cared one whit for having shelves. Just sayin'; for the record.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 07-11-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo, of course!
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #171
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
Thanks, PeterT. I didn't interpret the ~+= button as going anywhere useful and never tapped it til now.
Until you asked I had never either I just felt the keys had to be somewhere so went looking
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #172
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
@taming
I did not do a factory reset. I updated the KOBO Desktop on my PC, connected the eReader (USB) and it automatically sync'd. The update process took about 5 minutes. When I opened the book I was previously reading (sideloaded EPUB) it took me straight to the page where I left off. All very slick!

@rashkae ... Thanks for the comment about page turns speeding up after several taps (not tabs) :-). I was not happy when I first saw the slow page turn! I find that the areas of the screen that were previously kind of dead for page turns (right edge close to the top and bottom) are now just as sensitive as anywhere else that I tap for page turns.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #173
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to hear Woodstonian.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The added fonts look different, yes... Though I still like Charis SIL.

And what happened to the shortlist? There's still an option and the hearts, but I can't find the shortlist itself. Is it gone or does that have to do with the plugin (I had it installed - but so far, no other problems...).

Also I'm still waiting for "tap anywhere to go forward, swipe to go back".
Since you like Charis SIL, check out my improved (for eink) version that also has true smallcaps. I've darkened the font a slightly and it looks better on my 650.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-19-2016 at 12:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Similarly, the improvement of font rendering with customizable font weights is also massive. The Kobo is the first e-ink device I've seen that can almost match the Kindle for text clarity. It's a pity some are reporting difficulties with user supplied fonts, but I think it's a fair trade.
The Kindle is not the be all and end all for text clarity. I actually find the 650 and T1 to be quite good. They don't blow away the Kindle, but the Kindle is not better.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #176
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you like Charis SIL, check out my improved (for eink) version that also has true smallcaps. I've darkened the font a slightly and it looks better on my 650.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a9av9mnbl5fxtae
Sounds good. Thanks.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #177
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Until you asked I had never either I just felt the keys had to be somewhere so went looking
It's standard with onscreen keyboards these days to have number/symbols on another keyboard page from what initially pops up.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Sounds good. Thanks.
I think you'll like it. It is easier to read in lower light then the original version.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #179
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you'll like it. It is easier to read in lower light then the original version.
The fonts look good but unfortunately don't work properly on my Kobo. There's no bold, for example (or everything is bold, I don't know...). No italics, either, which is too bad since the normal Charis SIL doesn't look as nice anymore.

Oh well... it's going to be Georgia for me, I guess (at least for now).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #180
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Jaden, you have to be sure that when you add fonts to the Kobo, you have a full set of four variations and they have to be formatted in a particular way. Like this for Gentium Book Basic:

GenBkBasB.tff (bold)
GenBkBasBI.tff (bold italics)
GenBkBasI.tff (italics)
GenBkBasR.tff (Rpman (not regular)/normal)

Some places where we get free fonts don't have all four, or they are named in a different way. you can rename them, as long as all four are there and they follow the naming convention.

Last edited by taming; 07-11-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Roman