Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #166
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't belong to Goodreads but do look at reviews there. I have seen some negative reviews for ARCs, though not as many as the positives

If I'm trying to decide whether to read a book, I usually scroll through looking for the 3-star reviews. They often point out both good and bad things about the book.

I wish it were easier to find reviews that do or don't contain spoilers. It's a bummer to accidentally get spoiled for an important plot point. But there are times when I actually want the spoilers - like I've read a blurb for a thriller, know I don't want to read the whole book, but now I kinda want to know whodunnit.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #167
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't look at anonymous reviews (anonymous meaning any one I don't know and/or whose tastes I'm not familiar with) anywhere. It's much more useful to limit myself to the reviews from people I KNOW a) like the things like, b) hate the things I hate, c) like the things I hate, d) hate the things I like. I get those kinds of reviews by getting to know and eventually "friending" people on the internet (or in meatspace). Places like here and Goodreads. Rando book reviews are not something I waste any time on.

If Jon, here, hates something for instance, I know I should seriously give it a shot sometime.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #168
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't look at anonymous reviews (anonymous meaning any one I don't know and/or whose tastes I'm not familiar with) anywhere. It's much more useful to limit myself to the reviews from people I KNOW a) like the things like, b) hate the things I hate, c) like the things I hate, d) hate the things I like. I get those kinds of reviews by getting to know and eventually "friending" people on the internet (or in meatspace). Places like here and Goodreads. Rando book reviews are not something I waste any time on.
I don’t trust reviews from vegetarians, either.

I agree that glowing reviews from people I don’t know are worthless. However, I find thoughtful two-star reviews can be enlightening. Does it seem as if the things the reviewer dislikes are things I also find objectionable? Something already got me to consider the book; now I want to hear from the devil’s advocates.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:50 AM   #169
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I never read 5 star reviews, but head straight for the 1 & 2 stars. Like issybird said, many times those low star reviews mention the same things I dislike.

I do the same for non-book items from Amazon. It's turned into a junk store stocked with no-name products.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #170
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don’t trust reviews from vegetarians, either.
Vegetarians are still comprised of meat.
Advert
Old 07-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #171
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Vegetarians are still comprised of meat.
And they still want their food to taste like meat.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #172
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quite simply put: if it was useless, no one would be using it.
Bets?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #173
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Bets?
Ok. Since you don't seem to want to read my sentence in the way you KNOW that I meant it:

If it were objectively useless, millions of people wouldn't find it useful.

And yes. Bets. Big bets.

More simply put: I find Goodreads useful. I'm not alone. So Goodreads can't be considered objectively useless.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-22-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #174
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I make allowances for ARC reviews as many who request an ARC will already be a fan of the author or at least the genre. So they are usually hoping to enjoy the book when they request it.

A review is useful so long as the reviewer explains why they liked or disliked a book.

"This is the best story ever can't wait for more" is the type of review I get nothing from.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:01 PM   #175
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What I don't understand is why there is not some simple test that you actually have a copy.
eg. (random location generated. requires GR have a copy)
3rd word of the first paragraph of chapter 2

That only proves they could have read it completely. But that would thin the totally fake readers.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #176
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What I don't understand is why there is not some simple test that you actually have a copy.
On Amazon too, rather than record of purchase. But maybe on Amazon record of purchase. It seems to be possible to do reviews on Amazon that are fictitious.
Also product review on Amazon is ONLY product, not the market place seller (supplier) review. You have to dig down inside the seller and on some you can't do reviews. Nor of Amazon themselves.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #177
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Ok. Since you don't seem to want to read my sentence in the way you KNOW that I meant it:

And yes. Bets. Big bets.

More simply put: I find Goodreads useful. I'm not alone. So Goodreads can't be considered objectively useless.
I took your words the way you wrote them in that separate sentence. Considering the number of objectively useless services, practices, etc. that millions of people are willing to pay for, I personally consider usefulness to be a very low if present criteria in many peoples eyes.

Take astrology as an example. A belief that the stars control your life. Yet over 30% of the American population believe in astrology and they are willing to spend money on it. A 2.2 billion dollar industry (astrology, palm readings, tarot cards, etc.) is hard to disregard.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #178
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering the number of objectively useless services, practices, etc. that millions of people are willing to pay for...
You can't beat this one. I'd rather take astrology.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:30 PM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

And yes. Bets. Big bets.

I do use Goodreads. I do find it useful except for new books. It takes a while to get to a point where the average stars are accurate enough. Most of those people who post the rubbish ratings/reviews have to eventually read the book and redo their rubbish.

But when there are enough real reviews, I can have a read and see what others think.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:51 PM   #180
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do use Goodreads. I do find it useful except for new books. It takes a while to get to a point where the average stars are accurate enough. Most of those people who post the rubbish ratings/reviews have to eventually read the book and redo their rubbish.
I don't really even look at star ratings. They don't factor into my decisions.