Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
This Perfect Day by Ira Levin 6 8.45%
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi 6 8.45%
Heaven by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart 3 4.23%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 11 15.49%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 6 8.45%
Dune by Frank Herbert 6 8.45%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 9 12.68%
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card 8 11.27%
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller 12 16.90%
Halting State by Charles Stross 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before everyone gets engrossed in the winning book, it has a major mistake in it. Leibowitz is Jewish. No way he could have been a saint or a monk. So there we go. The author made a Jew a monk and a saint. He's better suited to be a Rabbi.

We're Jews out in space
We're zooming along
protecting the Hebrew race

We're Jews out in space
If trouble appears
we put it right back in its place

When goyim attack us
We give 'em a smack
we'll slap them right back in the face

We're Jews out in space
We're zooming along
protecting the Hebrew race

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-28-2011 at 09:09 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #167
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And don't forget the Book Club dues. I'll let you know via PM where you can send the money: Cash only (small unmarked bills); no checks or credit cards.
The Fees!! How could I forget about the fees. Silly me.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #168
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
LOL at that clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before everyone gets engrossed in the winning book, it has a major mistake in it. Leibowitz is Jewish. No way he could have been a saint or a monk. So there we go. The author made a Jew a monk and a saint. He's better suited to be a Rabbi.
The name suggests that our saint was an ethnic Jew, but that doesn't mean his religion was Judaism, or that he couldn't be a Christian priest. Perhaps today's Roman Catholic Church would be prejudiced against canonizing someone named Leibowitz -- I have no idea -- but there's no reason to think anyone would care six centuries from now (especially after the background events of this story).

Oh, what fun! The discussion thread isn't yet created, and we're already treading on sensitive topics.

BTW, finished reading the book today. I think you all will find it's a quick read.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, this could get into the realm of Jesus wasn't the son of God. Joseph and Mary was a fable. And every religion based on Jesus is fake. But we won't go there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #170
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Nearly finished it myself. I guess I'm going to have to un-ignore Jon to really follow this discussion, but...

The world as we know it has come to an end. A man with a jewish sounding name creates an a religious order to preserve human knowledge. Works for me. The is no indication anywhere in the book that Leibowitz was a practicing Jew. There *seems* to be indications that he *was* a practicing Christian.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #171
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I read this a few months ago so it does not bother me that this discussion is verging on spoilers. I don't know if I will read it again to refresh my memory enough to participate in the discussion as I was not that impressed by the book. The first 80-100 pages were so dull to me that I nearly gave up. It improved much after that. I will be interested in following the discussion though as I feel must have missed much that makes this such a favorite.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #172
kogi
kogi began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The first 80-100 pages were so dull to me that I nearly gave up. It improved much after that.

Ah good to hear that, I did give up. Now I have to make a good effort to read it
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #173
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
The first 80-100 pages were so dull to me that I nearly gave up. It improved much after that.
Interesting how differently the same story is perceived by different minds. The first third is my favorite part. I was fascinated by the depiction of monsastic life in a distant Dark Age, preserving knowledge w/o understanding it. And I enjoyed the humor that leavened this section.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #174
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course, this could get into the realm of Jesus wasn't the son of God. Joseph and Mary was a fable. And every religion based on Jesus is fake. But we won't go there.
If we were to go there, I might have said "You were so close, but your parameters were too finite."

Fortunately, we aren't going there.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #175
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I thought the point was that the monks' veneration of Liebowitz was based on a misconception of who he was and what happened.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #176
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just a reminder, folks: This isn't the discussion thread. Please refrain from posting spoilers. Thanks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #177
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks Tom.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #178
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Dammit having to choose between Hyperion and Ender's Game is hard. But then you cannot really read Hyperion without also reading fall of Hyperion.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #179
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Can't find A Canticle For Leibowitz at ebookmall

Hi,

Hope it is not too late to join the club and read this book. However both of the links to ebookmall do not work for me. Neither takes me to the book and a search for the book by title or author reveals nothing.

A google search results in a few copies for download but I do not want to resort to downloading from a random site unless I have to do so.

Does anyone have a working link at ebookmall or can anyone recommend a link to download a good copy?

Thanks,

Kees
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #180
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post
Hi,

Hope it is not too late to join the club and read this book. However both of the links to ebookmall do not work for me. Neither takes me to the book and a search for the book by title or author reveals nothing.

A google search results in a few copies for download but I do not want to resort to downloading from a random site unless I have to do so.

Does anyone have a working link at ebookmall or can anyone recommend a link to download a good copy?

Thanks,

Kees
That's very odd. I know the links were working, because that's where I bought mine, but now not only do the links not take you to A Canticle For Leibowitz, but the site's search engine show no entry for the book.

Most peculiar.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote